LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-29, 7:17pm

Default How much to charge for torch time?

What is the going rate these days for torch time by the hour and how much to anneal beads from that torch session? It's been a while. Thanks for the help.
Old 2012-06-30, 6:13pm

No one? Not even a guess?
Old 2012-06-30, 6:27pm
Loving learning

I don't know, but would it depend on the type torch, oxygen supply, etc?
Old 2012-07-01, 12:48am

And where you are I would imagine...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-01, 9:28am

I charge $15.00 an hour for torch time in my studio. That price includes annealing what is made.

Old 2012-07-01, 10:07am
Now part of the Dark Side

The Studio at Corning Museum of Glass charges $25/hr. I believe that includes Effetre basic glasses, and clear boro and boro color shorts (I can't remember how many pounds of glass are included) annealing, and fuel, oxy, and a torch if you don't have your own.
Old 2012-07-01, 10:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
The Studio at Corning Museum of Glass charges $25/hr. I believe that includes Effetre basic glasses, and clear boro and boro color shorts (I can't remember how many pounds of glass are included) annealing, and fuel, oxy, and a torch if you don't have your own.
Do people also include if the person asks questions? I've wondered about that, cause you know it's going to happen that someone will try to get free tutoring at the same time.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2012-07-01, 10:20am

the local glass place here charges $10 an hour for shop time not sure about anealing since I have not done any torching there just used their sandblasting equipment

#C-151
Old 2012-07-01, 10:36am

The place I torch at when I am not in my studio charges $8/hr if you buy at least 10 hrs. This does not include glass or tools, just gas/O2 and the use of their mini CCs.
Old 2012-07-01, 12:06pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
Do people also include if the person asks questions? I've wondered about that, cause you know it's going to happen that someone will try to get free tutoring at the same time.

-Donna
I'm not sure if The Studio supervises the sessions or not, I don't think so. If you can find an Artist in Residence, they would probably answer questions, but I think that it is largely you, the torch and the glass.
Old 2012-07-01, 7:26pm
grama punky - class junky

We charge $12 per hour with hotheads- $6 if you bring your own gas. Must buy rods from our supply, and we anneal at 3 beads /$1. To use our studio you must have completed at least one class to learn our safety rules and equipment use.

Old 2012-07-02, 6:29am
Professional Troublemaker

I rent out studio time in my (teaching) lampwork studio. I also require that someone has had at least a basic class; most of the people renting studio time have had the beginner class with me, so I know they have had the basics, as well as safety info.

I would charge $15/hr. for someone coming in who had never taken a class with me, but most people (returning students) I charge $12.50/hr. That includes annealing whatever they've made that day, and they're welcome to use any glass they find in the shorts bin (I have many pounds of shorts separated by color, so most students are happy to spend some time digging through and melting short pieces together. Free glass - who wouldn't want that?!) Studio rental also includes use of protective glasses as well as prepared mandrels.

I am always in the studio when I have someone over, usually torching myself, or doing studio chores like cleaning beads or dipping mandrels. I am happy to answer questions, short of being asked to give a lesson requiring supervision and feedback on what they're doing. I've never had anyone take advantage of me as far as wanting more than I was happily willing to answer. I find most people go out of their way to be respectful of the fact that they're not there for a class, not even wanting to bother me to ask where something is kept! So, I don't find this to be a problem.

One thing to keep in mind: If you have people in your studio using your equipment - rented or not, giving a class or just showing a friend the basics of beadmaking - you'd best be sure your insurance covers this. A standard business insurance policy will cover you for liability should someone get hurt, whether their fault or yours. (And it doesn't matter if it's a good friend or someone you've never met before - if someone gets hurt, and the insurance gets involved, THEY might not sue you, but their insurance company sure will!)

Schermo

Old 2012-07-02, 10:41am

Thank you so much.
Old 2012-07-02, 11:01am
Glass Addict

BAGI (Bay Area Glass Institute) charges $10/hr, sold in two-hour increments, for their Oxygen/propane setup, kiln and Minor torch setup.

www.bagi.org

This is the studio I learned to lampwork at....