Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2012-08-02, 4:49am

Default $20 shipping?

$20 to ship 1 lb of soft glass tubing (small lengths) and 1lb of 14mm effetre.

how is this possible? it's in the states btw.
all of this could fit into a flat rate box, no problem. this is a very well known and well liked vendor here...so i'm not going to say names save for he's a vendor that posts in the sale rack section almost daily.

i'm not trying to knock this vendor, but i refuse to pay that much shipping. no way, no how.
Old 2012-08-02, 5:52am
Tweedle Dumb

You might want to look at adding more glass to your purchase. The shipping, obviously, wouldn't go down, but at least the over all cost to ship vs. the amount of glass purchased would be lower.

I wouldn't pay that either... that's why I wait for free shipping or wait until I have a larger order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-08-02, 9:37am

Mike - did you contact the vendor and ask why the shipping is so high? Sometimes the shopping cart software can make a boo boo.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:43pm
"Sinners have soul too"

You can ship 1# of 13-14" rods to Vermont for less than $10

Old 2012-08-02, 2:13pm

Default Cheaper Shipping

Quote:
Mike - did you contact the vendor and ask why the shipping is so high? Sometimes the shopping cart software can make a boo boo.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
When we process an order we look at what the customer ordered, and if we can put it into a smaller box with less expensive shipping, we do it.

So calling up the vendor and getting a quote from a person rather than a software program is the best bet.

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2012-08-03, 3:29am

^^^that's exactly what i figured happened...and of course i figured that out after bitching and moaning online.

so yes Mike....that was exactly it. thank you!
Old 2012-08-04, 12:43am

There was one company that I stopped ordering from - theirs didn't go down! $20 for an optic mold (and this must have been at least 5 years ago now). Never ordered from them again. No one I've seen advertising here...

Old 2012-08-04, 4:46pm

i just got 20 pounds of tubbing and 15 pounds of glass for 42 i sugest you look else were for glass
Old 2012-08-05, 4:00am

i did. but i did also find out that it was due to the auto shipping system...when it sees glass tubing or rods it ads premium shipping price. when this vendor actually packs the order for shipment, if it fits in a smaller/cheaper box then they'll do that and refund the overage.
now that is good business.
Old 2012-09-24, 7:28pm

I just asked a California company to ship a couple of books of silver leaf (priced at under $12 each) and the shipping through UPS was almost $14. I requested USPS instead and they said that they didn't trust the Postal Service was too unreliable and that it took too long to file a claim for a lost shipment and there business couldn't afford to take a chance and they explained that UPS piles on all they extras on the first pound so the best thing for me to do would be to order lots more stuff and add more weight for the same shipping price. This is not an attitude that makes me want to shop there. Translation: We're only interested in you if you order BIG...I'll pass, thank you.
Old 2012-09-24, 8:37pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
I just asked a California company to ship a couple of books of silver leaf (priced at under $12 each) and the shipping through UPS was almost $14. I requested USPS instead and they said that they didn't trust the Postal Service was too unreliable and that it took too long to file a claim for a lost shipment and there business couldn't afford to take a chance and they explained that UPS piles on all they extras on the first pound so the best thing for me to do would be to order lots more stuff and add more weight for the same shipping price. This is not an attitude that makes me want to shop there. Translation: We're only interested in you if you order BIG...I'll pass, thank you.
Sounds like a scam to get people to buy more than what they want or need.

Even a flat rate bubble mailer through USPS is just over $5 and it includes tracking and delivery confirmation. I've only had one order go missing through USPS and it was something that went missing in Italy, so I don't fault the USPS for that.

Old 2012-09-25, 6:58am

Donna I think you are correct about it likely being a scam since I have ordered silver before and received it in the bubble mailer through the Post Office. I only looked around for another source because my regular is out of stock on that weight at the moment. I think I'll wait for restock. The last time I bought it from my regular they had it to me by day 3 and sent a coupon for 10% off my next purchase. That is service I'll stick with for future purchases. Don't you hate how stupid some of these places think you are or act like they are the only game in town? Thanks to the internet that is no longer the case and it is far to easy to find better treatment elsewhere. Service is the only way to keep customers loyal these days in this economy.

Andrea
Old 2012-09-25, 7:23am

I have had excellent service using USPS. I do think the packages get treated a little better using flat rate boxes.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-09-26, 3:10pm

Hi Andrea, if you feel that we are asking for a big dollar amount, I apologize for the misunderstanding. The exact conversation will be quoted below. Please don't feel it is not a lack of caring, it's that we feel it'd be unreasonable for you to wait 3 months on a replacement package. We've been in business for over 30 years, it's just something we've experienced to much to feel justified in having other people go through as well.

Honestly, we've lost more packages in US orders going through the Postal Service then we have International shipments through the Postal Service.

Quote:
Sadly Andrea, what we sell these metals at is so close to cost, we cannot afford for any of it to be lost in transit. The Postal service is notorious for delays in replacement and losing packages when sent inexpensively, where at one point we had to wait 90 calendar days for a claim to be resolved. This is why we do not normally offer their services to US customers.

If you want to make UPS more affordable, keep this rule in mind "The first pound is the most expensive". They charge all their premiums into that first pound, and every pound after is comparatively inexpensive (usually averaging $0.70 per additional lb). So maybe some molds, or some glass, frit, something to make that package worth the investment.

If I can assist you with anything else please let me know.

Thank you

At Sundance Art Glass customer care is our #1 priority. If you have any issues with your order please let us know so that we can work with you to resolve the differences.
1-888-4HOTGLASS (1-888-446-8452)

This is not an advertisement. This is a commercial email being sent from: sundanceglass.com. If you would like to no longer receive emails from sundanceglass.com please send an email to:
. Sundance Art Glass 6052 Foster Rd., Paradise, CA, 95969-3121 USA - Phone: 1.888.452.7232 - Fax: 530.876.8561

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:22 AM, AJDesign <AJDesign> wrote:

I've been shopping for silver leaf and I believe you have good prices. However I don't think the shipping options in your shopping cart are best for what I want to order. To ship three books of silver leaf by USPS should not be almost $14 as shipping them UPS was calculated to require. If you have an option that is more reasonable please let me know so that I can place an order with you.

Old 2012-09-26, 3:24pm
Storm Queen

I ship silver foil (I don't have silver leaf) in a bubble mailer via USPS with DC and I've never had one go missing. Just shop around. I'm sure one of the other vendors here has silver leaf with a reasonable shipping rate.

Old 2012-09-26, 6:35pm
I'm meeeeelting

Yep, tons of other vendors out there. That pricing is ridiculous. Maybe check with Arrow Springs. They often have $5 shipping.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-09-26, 7:07pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Yup... There are lots of other vendors... jus' sayin'.

Old 2012-09-27, 7:52pm

i got some silver leaf from Arrow Springs, but they are out of the lighter weight at the moment. I ordered the heavier weight and some etching crystals and got the $5 shipping deal. Sorry Sundance, I wasn't going to mention you by name, but since you piped up I think you will understand that I agree with the majority of posters here that The USPS does a decent job with light things like the mailers. Customers should have the option of choosing the delivery method they prefer or shopping elsewhere. I usually wait and place larger orders, but sometimes I will try a new source on something small and if the service is good I will shop again with a larger order. If I'm not comfortable with the service it's time to move on. Thanks, but I'll stick with vendors who get advertised by word of mouth from satisfied customers.

Andrea
Old 2012-09-27, 11:56pm
visit my etsy!

I would absolutely love to order more from US and Canada, but the shipping is crippling! I know that I will have to pay duty and VAT, but the fact that the shipping is included in the value for the duty and VAT really hits us in the UK.

Old 2012-10-01, 12:43pm

Quote:
i got some silver leaf from Arrow Springs, but they are out of the lighter weight at the moment. I ordered the heavier weight and some etching crystals and got the $5 shipping deal. Sorry Sundance, I wasn't going to mention you by name, but since you piped up I think you will understand that I agree with the majority of posters here that The USPS does a decent job with light things like the mailers. Customers should have the option of choosing the delivery method they prefer or shopping elsewhere. I usually wait and place larger orders, but sometimes I will try a new source on something small and if the service is good I will shop again with a larger order. If I'm not comfortable with the service it's time to move on. Thanks, but I'll stick with vendors who get advertised by word of mouth from satisfied customers.

Andrea
It's not a problem, and we're far from offended, some people never have an issue and we have made exceptions. By chance it just so happens, we did ship some items USPS to Alaska Express Mail. It's lost, they told us to wait until November 2nd to start to a claim as "it could appear any day".