Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-29, 7:56am

Default Teaching question

I am teaching a class at a local art center. We are developing the program from scratch and will be working on Hothead torches. Since we have to purchase basically everything budget is tight. We want to give each person enough glass to get through the class. I will sell more from my stash if people want more than given. The class is a beginners class that runs 15 hours over 5 weeks. Any suggestions as to how many rods we should allow each student and what combination of types/colors of rods?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">www.beadsonfire.etsy.com
Old 2009-09-29, 8:15am

couldn't you just have each class member buy a beginner's kit? perhaps a retailer would let you have them at a discount since you were buying several at a time.

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2009-09-29, 8:43am

The local Art Center does classes. They are about $120 for 8 weeks/2 hour classes. Also, a local glass artist/supplier does a class. It is $125 for a one day class from 9-4 with a one hour lunch break. The class has a min. of 2 people, and a max of 4. From what I understand, all supplies are included.
Old 2009-09-29, 9:05am

Thanks for the input! I am just wondering how much glass should I expect a student to go through in a class of that duration. I want to be sure to have enough and that studio fees are a fair reflection of the materials.

href="
Old 2009-09-29, 9:21am
Sheryll

I haven't taught a class but I've thought about it..... Here's my list and I'd let them play for the first 30 just getting them to melt glass to get a feel for it (after all the forms, intros, and lighting that is):

Trans black (show the stiffness) - Ideally you do this with intense but it's not needed and since you're on a budget this will work.
White - show how quickly it melts
Ivory - show reactions with Aqua and Turquoise
Cobalt blue
Pea green (but any green can work) - show how it turns red w/ proprane
Grey - just a nice base color
striking red or striking yellow or both just to show the type of glass and how to strike it and the diff betw betw a
Red/Brown/Yellow/Orange from the specials (just to have have a couple bright colors, too)
Periwinkle
Trans green, amber, amythyst
A filigrana or two, an opalino or alabastro just to show how finicky those glasses can be how to work them farther out on the flame - carnelian would be nice to show how to develop the color, too.

The rest would depend on what you plan to teach. Most of what I listed are cost-effective and gives enough of a flavor of the colors. Hope that helps.

Old 2009-09-29, 10:14am
honorary bead lady

I agree with time to just play with the glass to get a feel of what it does before it ever touches a mandrel.

Just what is the course to cover? Beads only, pulling stringers, Twisties? How much torch time vs class instruction ie; book learnin?
3hr sessions or 1-1/2 hr twice a week?

1. Saftey, ventilation and setup
2. Glass basics melt a glass gather on the end of a rod, pull stringers
3. Make a simple spacer, larger bead, basic shapes, all basic beads no decoration
4. make twisties, decorate beads
5. open torch time

Just some ideas.
Old 2009-09-30, 5:07am

Sheryll what great input on how colors are different and different reactions etc. Have been giving more thought to technique but these are important to remember and add. Thanks!

It seems that there is an overwhelming agreement that torch "play time" is the key to what people feel makes up a good class. Will schedule a lot of that!

Just have to decide what order all of this fits together! Thanks all!

href="
Old 2009-10-04, 6:08am
Isinglass Design

Yes, torch play time is very important. It will probably take a lot less glass than you think- you might be able to gauge by just seeing how much you personally use in an hour or so. I just did a special order in which I figured out how much glass I might need- and extimated about four times as much glass as I needed!
I would go with a good mix of solid and transparent colors- each student will have their own favorites. SInce you will be their biggest influence, you'll want the colors you are most comfortable with. As far as finicky colors, you could have a few to show them, but they won't really be ready to use them yet. You do need to have an idea of what you would like to teach, so you'll have the glass that you need.
One thing my students really liked was making kind of messy beads- like the 'element bead' by Kim Fields, or her 'webwork bead' shown in Cindy Jenkins "Beads of Glass".
I like to get them on the torch as soon as possible after the safety talk. Torch time is the best teacher. The ISGB has, somewhere on their site, info about what should be taught in a class, and what you should look for in a teacher. It's very useful info.
If you want to contact me, I have the ISGB info, and my own 5-week course schedule which I can email you. Not that I followed it exactly, but it may give you some ideas!
Good luck, and have fun.

Laurie

Last edited by glassbead; 2009-10-04 at 6:10am. Reason: out of order
Old 2009-10-04, 6:18am
BeadsonCypress

We always gave each student 4 rods and then they traded with each other! (Basic colors not silver, but we encouraged them to try at least one reactive (turquoise mostly). If they wanted more we sold a rod for $1.00 We proved a plastic shoebox to store their stuff in, tools that were provided etc. Also be sure to each them everything from safety, dipping mandrels, MAKING BEADS, fun time, kiln responsiblities and the most teadious part cleaning them....we even had a session on turning beads into jewelry or other useful items (aka Karen Thomas!) which was some of our local art teachers favorite class!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-10-04, 3:12pm
offically down under

I took classes at our local art center and we had to supply our own glass. We had a syllabus for the term and were told what glass we would need per class.

If you do supply the glass, I like the idea of swapping colors with the other students.

Old 2009-10-07, 9:54am

Thank you all for your input! I am teaching the first week of my class tonight! I feel prepared with the help of all of you! Very excited and a bit nervous! Thanks again!

href="