No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-01, 2:54am

Default Matte glass rods

Has anyone heard of matte glass rods?

My mum just came back from murano with a gorgeous glass bead necklace for me, made from what she says is matte glass... I thought that they must have been etched but she said that they showed her the rods.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Lisa
Old 2012-07-01, 3:33am

Umm... Some glass rods are not as shiny in their rod form, but go shiny when melted. You would have to etch them to have them frosted again (or sandblasted). Unless I'm missing something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-01, 3:36am
Unmedicated since '62

Maybe opalino or something similar, the very nature of glass means that its shiny when melted

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-07-04, 9:11am
Glass-aholic

I have a rod of blue that has a very matte finish but have never melted it. It's different than etched, although I thought maybe it was initially. It's a cool rod, thus never melted. I think I got it at a flea market from someone who had vintage glass she knew not much about. I think her mother collected it. She was supposed to contact me about more but never did.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-04, 2:43pm
Happy Inner Dragon

it isn't a pretty pink one, is it?? Like Sedona or EDP? I love the way those devit in the flame, which you can contrast with shards/murrini for a great finish!
The devit bits, if I'm lucky look like lovely satin/matte.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-06, 2:30pm
Naysayer

Yeah even if you etched a rod and melted it, it would be shiny, unless it's some magic glass we don't know about yet.
Old 2012-07-06, 2:33pm
Entropy increasing....

I just melted an etched bead. They turn shiny. There is no such thing as a glass that is matte, only etched glass or sand blasted glass or tumbled glass can be matte.
Old 2012-07-06, 6:33pm

It's called 'merchandising'

Robert
Old 2012-07-08, 3:57pm

Hi again,
this is what I thought. I snapped a couple of pics to show anyway:

Apparently they did show my mum the matte glass rods, but she is pretty uneducated about the whole "glass" thing... I might have to show her my glass rods and see if she can identify anything similar.

Last edited by 88mph; 2012-07-08 at 4:01pm.
Old 2012-07-10, 4:29pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I think the links to the pics aren't working. I'm really curious to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mph View Post
Hi again,
this is what I thought. I snapped a couple of pics to show anyway:

Apparently they did show my mum the matte glass rods, but she is pretty uneducated about the whole "glass" thing... I might have to show her my glass rods and see if she can identify anything similar.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-10, 4:36pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I'd like to see them, too

SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-10, 4:57pm

Some glass colors are shinier than others; think of ivory vs white. I would think there could be some addition to glass that would make it dull.
Old 2012-07-10, 7:40pm

I was thinking that maybe they etched the rods to match the matte jewelry to show to (tourists) customers.
That's my Occam's razor for tonight. lol
I would like to see your necklace too. It sounds pretty.

Old 2012-07-11, 12:51am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Some of my customers refer to pastel colored beads ( non see through) as matte. Maybe that's the case?

Old 2012-07-11, 3:18am

That's weird... The pics show up on my screen... Here is a link to the album:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/album.php?albumid=820
Hope that works
Old 2012-07-11, 6:39am

I love that necklace. It looks like the beads are etched.

Old 2012-07-11, 3:05pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Denielle, I was just thinking the complete opposite, that they don't actually look etched to me. I'd love to see them in person. They're gorgeous!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-11, 3:07pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Maybe tumbled and polished? I got to see them with that link, too

SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-13, 8:33am
Glass-aholic

they look very much like poly clay beads I wonder if they were tumbled/etched and then polished with a dab of wax/oil/polish/etc

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-13, 5:56pm
Unmedicated since '62

I like the reaction they're getting with that blue, what the hell is that??

Old 2012-07-13, 10:50pm
Naysayer

I can't tell, the do look like tumbled glass though.
Old 2012-07-13, 11:57pm

I have emailed the people in Murano to ask... Im so curious about this. Will keep you all posted!
Old 2012-07-14, 1:31am
Naysayer

Oh good! Because it is confusing, they're not shiny yet they don't look etched..sort of.
Old 2012-07-14, 3:40am

They are glass, right? Heavy, like glass? I think the necklace is really pretty. What a neet thing that would be to have glass that is matte and makes matte beads. Sounds like an impossible dream, lol!

Old 2012-07-14, 6:14am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I like the reaction they're getting with that blue, what the hell is that??
Don't think it's a reaction as much as the use of multistriped ribbon cane/striped stringer.

Any idea how old these beads are?
I wonder if they have just had so much skin contact that they accumulated oils over time?

Old 2012-07-14, 6:17am

strange....iv'e got a couple rods of Lauscha supernova that are matte on one one side of the rod....looks etched or sandblasted. havne't melted it yet.
Old 2012-07-15, 2:48am

Jaci- they are brand new! I've only worn them once since mum gave them to me.
Patti- they are definitely glass...

Haven't heard back from murano yet... Will post what ever they tell me when I do hear back!
Old 2012-07-15, 5:08am

I think Robert is correct....I go with him. And.....they do LOOK like clay beads from the photo.

Lois

Wolflo(Lois)

Last edited by wolflo; 2012-07-15 at 5:11am.
Old 2012-07-15, 5:15am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Don't think it's a reaction as much as the use of multistriped ribbon cane/striped stringer.
Hmm, don't think so, they're quickly made beads, you would ave to place te stringer too carefully

Old 2012-07-15, 7:21am
uncouthful cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Hmm, don't think so, they're quickly made beads, you would ave to place te stringer too carefully
I'm with Jaci on this; I think it must be a narrow ribbon cane laid down without any twisting or pulling so it doesn't deform.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!