No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-23, 9:47am
color bomb

Question Encasing striking colors?

I'm good with striking colors. I'm getting way better at encasing. Putting them together? Not so much. How do I got about melting down my encasing *without* having my striking colors (ALL of them do this to me) looking either washed out or streaky? Is there a way to strike them through the encasing layer???

Old 2012-08-23, 9:58am
Tweedle Dumb

2 options (for me at least)

1. Don't pay any attention to the color before encasement. Just get it super hot, cool enough to encase with out smearing, RE-super heat to melt in the clear and reset the color again, cool till glow is gone then strike.

OR

2. Super heat, (reduce if needed) encase and then only work in the outer reaches of the flame to melt your clear down. Then you are striking the initial super heat...

1. works good for Striking Color, Terranova 2 (2.1) and Fire Lotus (examples, I'm sure there are more.

2. works good for "self strikers" like Cilo, Kalypso, Terra 2 etc... Ohh, and Luna 3.

This is what I do. Other people might be totally different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-08-23, 5:41pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

How about plain ol' striking Effetre transparent red and others like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
2 options (for me at least)

1. Don't pay any attention to the color before encasement. Just get it super hot, cool enough to encase with out smearing, RE-super heat to melt in the clear and reset the color again, cool till glow is gone then strike.

OR

2. Super heat, (reduce if needed) encase and then only work in the outer reaches of the flame to melt your clear down. Then you are striking the initial super heat...

1. works good for Striking Color, Terranova 2 (2.1) and Fire Lotus (examples, I'm sure there are more.

2. works good for "self strikers" like Cilo, Kalypso, Terra 2 etc... Ohh, and Luna 3.

This is what I do. Other people might be totally different.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-25, 9:02am
color bomb

Thanks, Jamie. I'll try those ideas.
Old 2012-08-25, 9:09am
Tweedle Dumb

I have honestly never put any effort into striking those. They always seem to take care of themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
How about plain ol' striking Effetre transparent red and others like that?

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-08-31, 12:04am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Oh now you're just showin' off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I have honestly never put any effort into striking those. They always seem to take care of themselves.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-31, 5:45pm
Student!

I have been using striking red and found that even if I took the time to strike it before encasing, I lose the color during the encasing step and have to re-strike once the encasing is done.

So I would agree with the first suggestion and wait to strike it after it's encased. It comes out just fine.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams