Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2007-06-14, 2:31pm

Thumbs up Confessions of a Smooth N Tuff Convert

OK Y'all. I have been a STAUNCH fan of Bucket O Mud since I first began using it (I am sure MANY of you know that, LOL, but I MUST CONFESS.....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOSTER FIRE SMOOTH N TUFF has it beat by a COUNTRY MILE!

I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING. I have had a VERY SMALL bit of flaking in the press, again, beats BOM. Flame dries with NO flaking or spitting and no matter how hard I drag the glass, IT DOESN'T CRACK!

You got me Robin!

LOVE FOSTER FIRE SMOOTH N TUFF! I'm a convert! Born Again Bead Release fan!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you!!
Lynnie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:
Old 2007-06-14, 3:03pm
frozen glass pimp

I told it was GREAT stuff. Gotta try it SOON!

Jon
Quote:
OK Y'all. I have been a STAUNCH fan of Bucket O Mud since I first began using it (I am sure MANY of you know that, LOL, but I MUST CONFESS.....

I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING. I have had a VERY SMALL bit of flaking in the press, again, beats BOM. Flame dries with NO flaking or spitting and no matter how hard I drag the glass, IT DOESN'T CRACK!

You got me Robin!

Thank you!!
Lynnie

and my new ebay listing

Email:

Order Phone: 541-733-4007

Last edited by jonsglassshack; 2007-06-14 at 5:32pm.
Old 2007-06-14, 5:01pm
Burn baby, burn

Default oops!

Quote:
I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING.
Today some small spacers almost got away from me because they were sliding off the mandrel before I "broke them loose"! I love this stuff. Lisa
Old 2007-06-14, 5:08pm
birdergirl ~o~

As soon as I get these two stubborn beads off their mandrel I'll join you ( I think I watered it down too much)
"Operator error !"
But other than that it's been working great!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-06-26, 1:28pm
stacijane on Etsy

I just got some and I love it too! It cleans out of the bead holes very easily too.

Old 2007-06-26, 1:37pm

Same here! This is the best bead release I've ever used. I am so glad I have it and as long as it keeps working the way it does, I'll never change bead release again (for boro or soft glass, as I've been doing both lately).
I still use locking pliers to hold the mandrel, but no longer do I need to wrap the bead with anything to get the bead to turn. It's wonderful and I love it!
Old 2007-06-26, 2:33pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

I just ordered some and can't wait to try it!! I love Alice's but I am willing to give anything with this many good reviews a try.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-06-28, 11:40am

I too am a total convert! I took beads off the mandrel the other night WITHOUT a pair of plyers gripping the mandrel. Amazing. No more wasted beads when the release would come off during mid melt and no more flaking in presses.
Old 2007-06-28, 11:45am
Dazed and Confused!

I absolutely love mine...I use it on Boro to Bullseye to Moretti to Satake. It holds strong during torching, but my beads slide right off after anealling. The bead holes are much easier to clean as well too!
Old 2007-06-29, 7:38pm

Ok Ok... Jerri sent me a sample with Alices and Tuff and I'm going to try it tonight. Let you all know what I think on Sunday (my b'day - lol) ... perhaps I'll be a convert too. I've been using Profusion for a long time which is ideal for my work. Hope Tuff/Alices works as well.

Sadie

Old 2007-06-30, 6:49am
Venus Nocturne

I knew this stuff was a good investment. Spare a thought to the Aussie who bought some of this and the regular Foster Fire and spent USD 90 bucks! (most of it was shipping) Best investment EVER!

Old 2007-07-01, 12:44pm

I like it for big holed beads - seems to clean out or hide better.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-07-01, 4:17pm
Dangerous Woman

This stuff is GREAT! It is the best thing since sliced bread! What was the best thing before sliced bread?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-07-01, 6:54pm

Quote:
This stuff is GREAT! It is the best thing since sliced bread! What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Probably the Foster Fire Heavy Duty! (I never got to try that, but heard it was the best!)
Old 2007-07-02, 7:06am

SEX! (but that was just a rumor you understand! LOL)
Quote:

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-07-02, 7:47am

Quote:
SEX! (but that was just a rumor you understand! LOL)
why didn't I think of that?
Old 2007-07-02, 7:56am
SCIENCE Teacher!

ummm, between sex and bead release I am still gonna pick sex.
Old 2007-07-03, 5:48pm
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

Who needs sex when there is so much glass???? I love the new FFB! Melissa lets me 'borrow' hers!
Old 2007-07-04, 5:17am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Just a quick FYI -

don't use soft water to dilute your bead release. ANY bead release notr just fosterfire will have problems with cracking and breaking if diluted with soft water!!
Old 2007-07-04, 9:05pm

Ahh ... that seems like a little secret I should know? Does distilled water count as soft water? If we live in a soft water area how should we dilute the tuff stuff?

By the way, my sample (thanks Jerri) is awesome and I bought a container of it at Arrow Springs this last weekend. Another convert here I think - they didn't have the super sized container so better get them some Robin because I would have purchased that size if they had it!

Old 2007-07-05, 4:27am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Naturally soft water like well water is fine, distilled is fine, bottled drinking water is fine too.

The stuff to avoid is where a water softener system has been installed and uses salts to break down the calclium and magnesium in the water.
Old 2007-07-08, 4:41pm

This bead release is FANTASTIC. I used the Heavy Duty formula before the new one came out.

Old 2007-07-12, 9:46am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Just got my beads out of the kiln. Smooth & Tuff is great! Came off so easily - as far as I'm concerned it's the best I've ever used.

-- Cherine

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-07-13, 3:18am
Knob Creek Glass

I guess that I have to start over with some Smooth and Tuff. I used soft water!
Old 2007-07-13, 10:20am

Quote:

You got me Robin!

Thank you!!
Lynnie
OK - this is all new to me but with all the glowing reports it seems like something I want to try. Where do I order it????
Old 2007-07-13, 10:31am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You can get it direct here:

and a number of glass suppliers carry it - lbsupplys and howaco glass both carry it, I believe.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-07-13, 1:21pm

Quote:
You can get it direct here:

and a number of glass suppliers carry it - lbsupplys and howaco glass both carry it, I believe.
Thanks for the information. After I posted the message, I checked with some of my glass suppliers to see if they handled it. Anxious to try it.
Old 2007-07-19, 9:19am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Just a quick FYI for those going to the Gathering: there will be mugs for sale that have prizes in them. I have donated 250 of the 2 oz sample size of the NEW Smooth & Tuff.

Just in case you wanted to try it..!
Old 2007-07-19, 5:29pm
Venus Nocturne

Got a quick q, what is the right consistency for smooth and tuff. At the moment mine looks like stiff cream (after it's been whipped with eggs, y'know to form those peaks?) is that too thick?

Old 2007-07-19, 6:02pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yes, that is too thick. Add some bottled or distilled water - small amounts at a time. You may have to pour some out if it is a new bottle (I usually do). You want it to look like cream, but unwhipped cream.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.