No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-10-14, 11:53am
Formerly known as weasel

Default Tutorial on making fish

Does anyone have a tutorial on making fish to share ? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-15, 7:08pm
Formerly known as weasel

WowI thought with all the people making fish, someone would write a tutorial fo mr.
Does ant one know of a book that gives instructions on how to make them?

Old 2007-10-15, 7:21pm

Beads of Glass by Cindy Jenkins has an absolutely wonderful tutorial by Ofilia Cinta.
Old 2007-10-15, 7:48pm
Glass my new Obsession

Here is the tutorial I use.
http://www.smartassglass.com/fish_tutorial.htm
Tina

Old 2007-10-15, 10:28pm

Nice tut. I'll be giving this a try tomorrow.
Old 2007-10-15, 10:36pm
Bliss Junkie

last year when i was in new orleans, before i actually started lampworking, i bought a book

"flameworking; crating glass beads, sculptures & funtional objects" by elizabeth ryland mears........

read through it several times, and there is a tut of a fish shape with frit colors....

the book has a bit of this and that, not bad overall...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2007-10-16, 6:17am
Pugs rule

Here's another tutorial: http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/beadmaking.html

Old 2007-10-16, 9:41am
I speak Murrini!

Here's a free tutorial from Delphi - very cute!!! Hope this link works!

http://www.delphiglass.com/pdf/fish%20bead.pdf

After you've downloaded it, it's easy to print and keep in a binder!

Good luck, friend!
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-10-16, 11:07am
First bead: 2007-04-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Here's a free tutorial from Delphi - very cute!!! Hope this link works!

http://www.delphiglass.com/pdf/fish%20bead.pdf

After you've downloaded it, it's easy to print and keep in a binder!

Good luck, friend!
DeAnne in CA
I were just looking for that tutorial to link to

Ann
Old 2007-10-16, 7:31pm
Formerly known as weasel

thank you everyone!!!!!! You have really helped me out here, I wish I owned Cindy Jenkins "Beads of Glass" O have seen Ofila's fish and they are to die for..
thank you so very much again

Old 2007-10-17, 11:17am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

ofilia's fish are amazing!!! i don't have the book, but it's in the library at the bezalel academy of arts, which is inside the campus of the university i go to... i can't take the book out because i'm not a student of the arts academy, but a friend of mine was (she graduated in june... boohoo poor me ) and she used to take glass books out for me

i stopped counting how many times i had this book, mostly because of the fish tutorial... i can't remember much out of it, i just loved to stare at the pics, lol...

anyway, there's that tutorial, there's sharon peters' (i see someone posted the link), there are 2 more in corina's spotlight on hollows...

and i have to say- i was kinda dissapointed to see that i found this thread after people have already answered, because you probably already looked at the tutorials and i was going to say that i'm so curious to see first what you come up with without a tutorial... would that have been mean?.. you know i get curious and tell you these things because i love ya and i love to push your boundaries, right?

i was even going to offer to search for some fishie inspirational pics for you...

I
NY
Old 2007-10-17, 12:06pm
Missing presumed fed

FYI -- Elizabeth Mears' book is on boro.
Old 2007-10-17, 12:12pm
Bliss Junkie

yeah, but you can kinda work it both ways... i used the tut, kinda, for my first fish which were with soft glass... actually havent tried it with boro yet, even though i set down my soft glass

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2007-10-18, 6:24pm
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by meitali View Post
ofilia's fish are amazing!!! i don't have the book, but it's in the library at the bezalel academy of arts, which is inside the campus of the university i go to... i can't take the book out because i'm not a student of the arts academy, but a friend of mine was (she graduated in june... boohoo poor me ) and she used to take glass books out for me

i stopped counting how many times i had this book, mostly because of the fish tutorial... i can't remember much out of it, i just loved to stare at the pics, lol...

anyway, there's that tutorial, there's sharon peters' (i see someone posted the link), there are 2 more in corina's spotlight on hollows...

and i have to say- i was kinda dissapointed to see that i found this thread after people have already answered, because you probably already looked at the tutorials and i was going to say that i'm so curious to see first what you come up with without a tutorial... would that have been mean?.. you know i get curious and tell you these things because i love ya and i love to push your boundaries, right?

i was even going to offer to search for some fishie inspirational pics for you...

Well here is th scoop. I have been making them on my own without a tutorial, and they (all 5) have broken on me. I will try to glue them together so you can see what i have made. My boundaries need to be pushed, but I really need to find out what I am doing wrong, why they are all breaking.
Thanks Meitali I love you too....

Old 2007-10-23, 12:52am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

breaking probably doesn't have anything to do with having a tutorial or not.

sculptural work is challenging in that aspect, you need to practice how to keep your bead hot while you work- and in case you're batch annealing, don't. sculptural stuff have to go into the kiln straight away.

work slowly, heat it well all the time, let the flame kiss your piece untill you get spots that are glowing orange, but don't let the glass droop. heat untill you think it's good, and then heat it a little longer. before you add parts like fins heat well again, and make sure the actual part where you're going to stripe the glass is hot enough to be sticky. i had problems with this when i made fish or dragons where the body was opaque and the fins or wings were transparent, if the base glass wasn't hot enough, the parts just fell off later on.

keep heating it all the time.

once it has protruding parts, keep heating well behind them, in all the creases that are formed, just be careful not to melt anything (you need to know your flame well!).

when you're done, before sticking it in the kiln, heat it nicely, bathe it in heat. take your time. sing a song to the fish ("i'd like to live... aaahhh, under the see... aaaahhh" ), really, don't hurry.

then hurry up and put the fishie in the kiln!!!!!!!

I
NY
Old 2007-10-27, 9:56am
Formerly known as weasel

Up date, I have tried several more times and still they keep breaking on me. Some have a lot left to be desired. I made 3 more yesterday, and if they come off the mandrel ok, and get cleaned ok, I will post pictures, then maybe I can get some feedback as to what I need to do with them. Thanks everyone for your help. Meitali you are the best boundary pusher! Keep on challenging me, I really need it to get out of my organic box.......

Old 2007-10-27, 4:20pm

Hi Wilma,

I have made several fish and all I have to say is you need to keep the whole thing HOT! You have to move really fast especially when it comes to doing the fins. The way I do it is make the body, add the eyes, add glass to where the fins will be, heat the glass for the fins and start pinching the fins and streching them out.Once the fins are done, heat it thoroughly and put it away. I do not use a large torch to do them, I just keep it moving and keep it HOT. For example , the fish in my avatar is 6" long.
Old 2007-10-27, 7:24pm
Missing presumed fed

(not making a comment about men and obsession with size, or men and fish stories . . . )

I lost some butt-ends of fishes when I started making them, too. I'm not talking just the frilly tail fin stuff, but the whole back end of the body on at least one that I can remember, and probably more. Learning to keep the whole thing warm and happy without being hot enough to melt the details is a big part of learning to do sculptural stuff, and fish are a fine place to start.

You have to keep flicking the bead in and out of the flame to keep warm, and you have to do it fast. No lollygagging! In the Sharon Peters class I took, Sharon spent way lots of her time hollering at people to keep their beads moving in and out of the flame. (And my "Space Shuttle Goddess" still got cold and lost her toes.) If you're working on one end of the fish, you're going to need to remember to give the whole bead (particularly the other end) a warming very frequently. After a while you'll get a feel for it, and do it automatically, but it's probably every few seconds that you have to give it a warming.

Before you do anything sculptural, think about the order in which you want to do each of the parts. The parts that are going to be melted flat should probably (almost always) be done first. The parts that are going to be left raised need to be done later -- it's really really hard to melt one part in and leave another part raised. Any part that sticks out is going to cool faster than the body of the main bead, and the thinner the part is, the faster it will cool -- of course, the thinner it is, the easier it will be to melt it when you're trying to keep it warm. That's why you should try to do the thinnest, most protruding parts last -- like the tail fins on the fish.

If you're doing side fins on the fish, you can make a dot and pinch it to make a nice feathery fin, but you really need to tuck it back against the body of the fish again. Side fins break off like crazy.

Good luck -- it's frustrating, but good practice that will help you with different kinds of beads, not just fish.
Old 2007-10-27, 7:39pm
Formerly known as weasel

You guys are really great. The reason I asked for tutorials is because of the way I was taught to make fish, and I thought there might be a better way. I am open to all suggestions, and I realize that there is no right or wrong way. You have all been very helpful with your tips, and I have learned a lot. Thank you so much.

Old 2007-10-28, 3:43am
Entropy increasing....

Ok, I read this thread a couple of days ago and last night I made two fishes.

Old 2007-10-28, 1:48pm
Burning Fingers!

Really cute fishies Kevan - I especially like the green one.
We have a friend who makes paper mache sculptural fish (they are replicas of actual fish from our local waters) and all his friends get one each Christmas. I think we have about 14 now - they make a great display. Anyway, I have made myself a challenge, and I am going to try and make him a fish this year - but out of glass, and it won't be a real replica. I will be lucky if it just has a body and fins all in one piece!

/
/
/

Old 2007-10-28, 3:42pm
Moving on!

I make the comic type fish, not realistic ones.
I make them using a lentil press - the largest of the Zoozii trio. Make a lentil bead, then add glass for the tail, use tweezers to shape it and add the creases. Then I add the fins and use the tweezers again to shape and crease them.
Add blobs of white for eyes, transparent, then black for pupils.
For lips, add a blob, then cut with tweezers.

- nothing right now.

Last edited by Angela Schoonen; 2007-10-28 at 3:47pm.