No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-20, 10:49am
drinks pickle juice

Default yet another bead release thread

So I have a bead release request--I use hotline, and have really liked it, only problems when working with my XL lentil. But I am almost out and think I would like to try something else.

So I want something that I can flame dry and that is easily reconstituted with some water and shaking. And if someone has used hotline, liked it, and then used something else and can recommend it, that's great.

suggestions? thanks!
Old 2008-08-20, 11:21am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Fusion, baby!!! It is the best bead release I have ever used. Tough as nails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-20, 12:08pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

Another vote for Fusion!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2008-08-20, 12:34pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Dip-N-Go Sludge! I used to use Bucket o' Mud, but tried Sludge when BOM got too hard to buy. I never went back. It doesn't break on the mandrel, you can flame-dry it, and the beads come right off!

Old 2008-08-20, 12:59pm
Cake for me too please

I kept breaking my bead release when I was trying to encase. I tried 3 kinds before I got Fusion. I LOVE IT! Even if it does break now it still holds under the glass long enough for me to salvage what I can. i.e. melt what I have added all the way in.
Old 2008-08-20, 1:16pm

I just got a bottle of Fusion. Love it! Nice and smooth. I usually use a mix of Sludge and something without the graphite.

Old 2008-08-20, 1:50pm
Lover of all things color

I use Dip-N-Go Blue sludge. Tought stuff. It works great, I never break the release. However, getting the beads off is killer. I even tried soaking in vinegar, something someone mentioned here. Tube beads WILL NOT COME OFF! They break at the ends before they come off. Its sad too because I love the toughness of this stuff. Its flame dry and works well. Any suggestions for removal would be helpful. I tried putting them in the freezer but it doesn't make it any easier. I soak them in water for hours. Use pliers and a towel and really have to work to get the tube beads off. Anything pressed is pretty easy because I have something to hold onto.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-20, 3:20pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I thin my Sludge with a little water-makes the beads MUCH easier to get off.

Old 2008-08-20, 3:56pm
Lover of all things color

Ok, thanks. I'll try that. I have lost so many pretty tube beads. I was starting to get a complex.....LOL

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-20, 8:29pm

Try soaking your mandrals in rubbing alcohol--the surface tension is lower than water. I found that this helped. Once I switched to Foster Fire, I no longer have the problem. Actually, even when the bead release breaks, I can usually salvage the bead but not add anything on to it.

Ruth
Old 2008-08-20, 8:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Fosterfire does come off beautifully, but it does not work well for boro and isn't as touch as I would like. I used it for a couple of years, but someone here on LE pointed me towards Fusion and it just rocks the casbah!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-20, 8:48pm

KRAG Mud gets my vote. I almost never have beads break free while working, they just twist off, and the holes come sparkling clean just by running the mandrel up and down under running water.

Old 2008-08-20, 8:48pm

I'm a big fan of Fusion, too. I never have any trouble with it. It's easy to thin with water, it can be flame-dried (although I prefer air drying) and it cleans out of the hole easiy.