Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-26, 7:37pm
Catnip Pusher

Default CIM Rose Quartz

I just got some for the first time and it is devitting all over the place! Like the evil master of evil devitrifying purple! Is this normal? I made a sample bead, tried to work cool - but just couldn't get the devit to go away!!!

Aimee
Old 2007-06-26, 7:51pm

I've never had it devit. I've had issues making it translucent, but not that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-06-26, 8:13pm
Life is change. Love it

Nope, never had a problem with it devitrifying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-06-26, 8:17pm

I've only used it with other CIM colors do far- but no devit issues
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-06-26, 8:36pm
Dangerous Woman

Are you on a HH? Could you be burning it? I haven't had any devit issues with this glass.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-06-26, 8:41pm
Glass my new Obsession

I have had it burn but not Devit

Old 2007-06-26, 10:59pm
Catnip Pusher

I'm on a Mini CC with a concentrator. I wouldn't think it was burning - it turns pale and rough-looking like EDP does when it devits. Well, I'll try again tomorrow.

Aimee
Old 2007-06-26, 11:21pm
HourGlass Studio

Mine boils easily.
Old 2007-06-27, 4:05am

Aimee:
I know exactly what you're talking about. I had that happen once (and I have the same torch with 1 concentrator - interesting). It's not deviting though, it's burning. It just looks like it's deviting.

ETA: If it was deviting, you'd be able to get it back. Once it's burned though, that's it! The end.
Old 2007-06-29, 3:36pm
Absolutely loving it!!!!!

Wow, I thought I was the only one, I was so excited when I got the glass, then I used it and decided it was the nastiest glass I had used so far. I set it aside and haven't touched it since. So we are actually burning it? Even the end of the rod looks like that when I am done using it. So did I miss the solution? Are we working it too hot?
Thanks

Merianne
Old 2007-06-29, 5:37pm
Catnip Pusher

I think I may have been working it too cool. I tried just going ahead and melting it like any old glass, and it seems to work fine. The end of the rod still looks yucky, but I just ignore it and keep using it. I made a bunch of beads today, we'll see tomorrow if they came out.

Aimee
Old 2007-06-29, 5:52pm

That's what I do. Ignore the icky look, it'll be fine probably at the end of it all

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-07-01, 12:23am

I've never had problems with it and the Rose Quartz is just gorgeous. If you put it beside a "real" rose quartz gemstone they look very similar. Someone had some really cool pictures of her beads made with it and I got hooked ever since.
Try working it higher in the flame maybe? I've never burnt any.
I do burn "Opalino" glass all the time!!!
Irene

Old 2007-07-02, 7:57pm

well I really have to thank you guys for this thread, I tried my rose quartz again and I must have been working it too cold, this time it turned out beautiful. Now it is the color I really wanted.

Merianne
Old 2007-07-03, 1:10am

I'd love to see some pic's of the rose quartz beads, I keep eye-ing it up when I place a glass order but couldn't work out what to do with it!

Old 2007-07-03, 6:55am

Does anyone know where the best place is to order this? I ordered one lot on EBay and received a beautiful color as 907. The next time I ordered the 907 which I thought was the same color, I received a milky opaque color - not at all as beautiful as the first! I looked at the number finally on the rod, and saw that one was 907-1 and one was 907, so be careful when you order this color. I am not sure what to do with the milky one!
Lulie
Old 2007-07-04, 9:25am

I know that there are two different colored rods and one is rose quartz and the other is rose quartz unique, the rose quartz is the milky one and it bubbles and will turn out nice if you work it right. I ordered mine from lbsupply and they have pics so you can see what you ordered and if you have any questions just e-mail them and they answer right away.
Good luck.
Merianne

Merianne
Old 2007-07-04, 9:43am

Default Messy Rose Quartz and Blush

A few Messy Color testers reported having devit issues with Rose Quartz. I know that in the case of Gelly's Sty, working the glass hotter will chase the devit away.

You can read about Gelly's Sty and devit here:
http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=2

And see photos and read about Rose Quartz here:
http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=9

We have many different production results when we melt Rose Quartz. Sometimes the rods are opalescent, and sometimes they are milky / almost opaque.

If you are particularly looking for the translucent aspect of Rose Quartz, I would recommend Messy Blush (formerly Unique Rose Quartz). Unfortunately I have not updated the Blush page with photos yet. Blush is the same tonality as Rose Quartz only more likely to stay opalescent and translucent.

Hope that helps.

Kathy

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color

[web]

[mail]

Last edited by Kathy; 2010-05-28 at 11:54am.
Old 2007-07-04, 9:55am
Catnip Pusher

Kathy, I just checked out those pages and I am very impressed with the amount of detail given on the individual colors. I think it is really wonderful to have such a resource! Thanks!

Aimee
Old 2007-07-04, 9:59am

Default Thanks to our testers!

Thanks, Aimee! Recently I've been working to update the rest of the colors as well.

The credit, however, must go to our fabulous testers, two of whom are on this thread. A shout out to Evil Glass and Tina! Thanks guys!

Kathy

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color

[web]

[mail]

Old 2007-07-05, 4:02pm
Glass my new Obsession

Aw shucks Kathy I am blushing!
I absolutely love the CIM colors which reminds me I need to go order some more
Tina

Old 2007-07-16, 8:34pm
Glass my new Obsession

I think I like the Blush better than the Rose Quartz.I will post pics tomorrow.I love the color of the Blush when you etch it
Tina

Old 2007-07-18, 11:51pm

The Rose Quartz is one of my favourite color from CIM and definitely a very nice rose to have. I have never had devitrification problem with it.
Just one funny thing though: since I became addicted to making vessels after a class with Tink Martin, I tried to make one of my pickaboo vessels with the quartz pink. I couldn't keep the translucence of the glass: it almost turned opaque. Interesting.

Last edited by Sylvie D.; 2007-07-19 at 1:22am.
Old 2007-07-19, 1:22pm
mystical cat lover 56

Beautiful vessel !
Old 2007-07-22, 10:26pm
Venus Nocturne

If you're on a minor burner, turn up your oxygen so it's hissing at the torch and turn up your gas to keep the cones tight. When you work Rose Quartz this way you turn it opaque but bring out a VERY rich rose pink colour. It doesn't devit at all, is a great glass to work with.

Those two spacers are rose quartz only. The pink dots on the other beads are rose quartz directly on moretti black, and rose quartz on butter pecan. Photograph is taken under natural lighting and there are no digital effects.