Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-01-29, 3:41pm
Obsessed Blogger

Default Get your beads on the final NASA Shuttle Launch

It is a quick deadline of February 26 (in hand!) but if you would like to get your beads on the next space shuttle launch...the last one in the program, read how you can enter the latest contest here:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maybe the artist's who had beads launched last time would like to tell how much fun we had seeing their beads go into space!

Good luck and please spread the word everywhere you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-05, 8:08pm

I made some beads this weekend. I'm dying to have someone look at the photos and give me feedback, but don't want to post them and influence any potential jury member. I must say, they turned out super cute.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-02-06, 10:13pm

I'm bumping this up because I think a lot of folks might of missed the post. I got mine made and have to get them sent in. Come on everyone lets get those beads into BOC and watch your precious creations fly overhead!!!
Terri

Old 2011-02-07, 7:33am

Looking forward to seeing what you made Lara, after the contest is over you will have to post pictures.

I gave it a shot this weekend... tried to make the space shuttle. The shuttle isn't anything I'm happy with but I wrote out USA in a 8 mm space with black stringer which was a big accomplishment for me.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Will keep trying this week, hope to come up with something cute to send in.

Old 2011-02-07, 7:39am
Hobby Junkie

Thanks for the bump! I completely missed this! I will have to make some beads this week!

Old 2011-02-07, 5:50pm
Shelarious

Working fervently...the big space nerd I am has me super excited about this opportunity. Beam my beads up, Scotty!

Old 2011-02-08, 1:56pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I am working away, I have 2 styles made so far and more in mind.. maybe one will make it.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-02-08, 7:27pm

The best one that I made, is 1 mm in each direction too big. AUGH. Oh well, it will match a top I have, So I'll keep it. Another is JUST at the 31 mm. I need to work on smaller!

Old 2011-02-08, 7:53pm
Shelarious

Lara, I totally did the same thing! 32mm...and I thought about doing some grinding but meh, it wouldn't look right.

You can still send your 'offs' to BOC.

Old 2011-02-08, 10:41pm

Yup, will send all the offs, but this one, to BOC. I have a scrub top that it will match (has a space theme), so have to show off at work a little.

Old 2011-02-09, 6:13am
Run Free Sweet Boy

yeah.. I am having issues with getting them small enough as well. 1.25 inches is not a lot of real estate to work on for sculptural stuff. I have a 1.25 lentil press, so I keep that on my bench and can sort of size things up as I am working quickly. Just hold it over the press base and eyeball it

Old 2011-02-10, 12:26pm
Obsessed Blogger

You all can do it! We try to keep the size limit small so we can get as many on as possible!!!

Feel free to facebook all your beady friends about it too!

Old 2011-02-11, 7:13am
Run Free Sweet Boy

We have a guild meeting tomorrow, there will be an announcement made and encouragement given for members to participate.. us Florida folks have to keep the bar high to meet or beat having 2 members with beads that went up last time. I know of at least 2 of us working on space beads now.

I am gonna toss out a challenge to other guilds for bragging rights.. how many of your members will have beads on the next shuttle? bet The Florida Glass Dragons will beat you!!!!! And.. to sweeten the pot.. If another guild has more members with beads to go on the shuttle, I will donate one of my tutorials for your library, or as a raffle prize etc for your guild.

Old 2011-02-16, 1:11pm

YAY! I had a "space bead vision" this morning! On my way to the torch. Very excited...just hope it turns out like the vision!

I sent this info out in our (so cal flame surfers) newsletter. I hope you get a lot of entries!

Judy

eBay: nada!
Old 2011-02-18, 5:30am
Run Free Sweet Boy

back into the shop shortly.. pulled murrini yesterday for beads.... I am obcessed......

Candice

Old 2011-02-18, 10:56am
Run Free Sweet Boy

whew... 3 more hours of teeny tiny details that is making me nutty. But I am happy with whats going in the kiln.. plan to ship monday.

Old 2011-02-18, 12:37pm
Shelarious

I shipped today! I worked really hard on mine and am happy with what I sent. Good luck to everybody!

Candice, remember that Monday is a holiday.

Old 2011-02-18, 9:42pm

I shipped my yesterday. I even had a dream about the voting (very sad). I'm so pleased with them and cant' wait to show pictures.

Old 2011-02-19, 5:42pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

ok, 3 more done. and one thats stuck on a mandrel. its in the freezer now.. hoping I can get it off without breaking it. I have been so obcessed wtih this, its making my husband crazy

Old 2011-02-20, 8:57am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I hope to get my set in the mail tomorrow! *Tight* mail time!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-02-20 at 9:17am.
Old 2011-02-21, 9:33am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Shipped UPS today, paid extra to get it there by thursday. Gives me some wiggle room if they are late. Sent 6 beads in 5 styles, plus another 5 beads that are space themed for the kids, they are my practice beads. And kept a couple for myself, to share with my fellow guild members.

I am so excited and hope at least one makes it. I have worked so hard.

Candice

Old 2011-02-21, 2:38pm
Powers Art Studio

So bummed we didn't see this earlier! The kiln is already full for the day, and if we make them tomorrow we'll probably miss the cut off!

Old 2011-02-21, 2:41pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I know - I worked mine up over the weekend and went to mail them today and found a closed PO

... so FedEx got my business.

FedEx and UPS both projected delivery by COB Friday if mailed Monday, and Saturday is the cutoff
so I will be squeaking in under the wire hopefully
... and I guess that means Lori is working Saturday (which is the 26th). Talk about sweet devotion!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-02-22 at 7:53am.
Old 2011-02-22, 9:55am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I am dying to post pics, but am refraining....

Old 2011-02-22, 10:24am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Yes, I read that the judges shouldn't know whose beads are whose!
Old 2011-02-22, 12:28pm
Your Royal Fritness

I had an idea this past weekend and made a few beads yesterday. I put them in the mail today Priority Mail so hopfully they will make it to Lori in time
Are we not suposed to post pictures? Just asking because I was going too... I can't wait to see what everyone has created!

Old 2011-02-22, 12:59pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

the judging is on the 28th I think. While I am excited about what I made and want to share, to keep it fair to all, its best not to post a pic until after the judging.

Old 2011-02-22, 1:16pm
Hobby Junkie

Mine went out in the mail today (guaranteed to be in AZ on Thursday). I am dying to post pics and see other people's pics too!!!!!!

Old 2011-02-22, 1:27pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Here are the dates again, so I guess we get to post our creations on or after March 1 ?

1. February 26, 2011 - Deadline for submissions. Beads must be IN HAND at the above address by end of business day (5:00 p.m. Arizona time zone) February 26, 2011. Not “postmarked by,” but IN HAND, to be considered. Any beads received after that date will be returned upon receipt of return postage from the recipient. If no return postage is received within 7 days of notification of missed deadline, all Beads become property of Beads of Courage and may be used for purposes as stated above, to directly benefit Beads of Courage.

2. February 27,2011 – Jury Process

3. February 28, 2011 - Beads to NASA

4. March 1, 2011 - Notification on Lampwork Etc. forum
Old 2011-02-22, 4:06pm

Got two beads out the door priority mail (the third one never materialized). I figure it's a win/win even if it doesn't go on the shuttle it's a worthy cause. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.