Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-14, 12:30am
Newly Addicted Lampworkor

Question 1/4" Mandrels (Not Hollow) - Where Do I Get Them? What's the Best Source?

I have been having a real problem finding places that sell 1/4" mandrels in any affordable groupings. Does anyone know what the best source might be to get 1/4" mandrels get in either 9", 10" or 12" lengths? I'm not looking for hollow mandrels, but I am looking for "finished-end" mandrels.

I am not looking for hollow mandrels. But I AM looking for mandrels that have "finsihed" or "burnished" ends.

While I am always looking for the most cost effective way to enjoy my lampwork, I am not interested in sacrificing quality just to be able to get them faster. I am interested in buying a semi-large quantity (around 40), so mandrels that are "sold "in groups of" are best.

I really appreciate any help or suggestions!

Old 2008-04-14, 4:55am
crabby...who me?

I get mine from the local welding shop,they are 3 feet long and I cut them myself.I dont remember what I paid for 3 feet its been so long, 1/4 mandrels last a long time.If you want I can find out for you.
Jeff
Old 2008-04-14, 9:14am
Glass-aholic

yep, for quantity and value go to the welding shop get 318 tig welding rods, or something very similar. (not stamped if they have them) Get a big set of bolt cutters (on sale of course ), and grind down the ends or take the chop saw to them with an appropriate saw blade to cut metal. The edges can be burnished with a dremel if you don't have a grinder.

have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2008-04-14 at 9:18am.
Old 2008-04-14, 9:34am
Missing presumed fed

Isn't 1/4" inch awfully thick to try to cut with bolt cutters? 1/16 or 3/32, sure, but 1/4 would take some serious power.

If you don't find another source, you might try places that sell supplies to hobby builders (like model train layout builders). I've gotten stainless rods in various sizes from the department of Pearl Art Supply that has stuff for train habitat builders. They're not particularly cheap, and I have no idea what alloy they are, but I've gotten them and they work as mandrels.
Old 2008-04-14, 9:38am
Curmudgeon

Metal Mart sells SS rod in all diameters and will cut to whatever size you wish.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-04-14, 9:54am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Isn't 1/4" inch awfully thick to try to cut with bolt cutters? 1/16 or 3/32, sure, but 1/4 would take some serious power.

If you don't find another source, you might try places that sell supplies to hobby builders (like model train layout builders). I've gotten stainless rods in various sizes from the department of Pearl Art Supply that has stuff for train habitat builders. They're not particularly cheap, and I have no idea what alloy they are, but I've gotten them and they work as mandrels.
I did 5/32" (only 3 points smaller) no problem. you just have to have someone hold the rod or it is liable to FLY! Before I had bolt cutters I brought them to a local lock and key shop and told him what i was doing and he cut them for free. I tried to pay him, but he was happy to help out an artist at work! (bring beads!!!)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-04-14, 10:10am
Borovangelist

I'd think unless you get the special ones that are "normal" at one end and 1/4" at the other, you might consider the hollow stuff just for the sake of weight.

I bought some 1/4" rod in the metal section at Home Depot and cut it down into usable lengths with an angle grinder and cutting wheel but the stuff is heavy. I'm pretty sure this was just normal steel not stainless since I'm getting a little rust, but a little steel wool takes care of it.

|
|
Old 2008-04-14, 4:15pm

I'm a big fan of the welding rod route. It may require a little cutting but bolt cutters are made to cut, well, bolts and I didn't have a problem. Clean up the ends a bit and you're good to go.
Old 2008-04-14, 4:19pm
Nancy

Is Metal Mart online or a retail store. And if it is a store, where is it located?

Thanks.

Nancy
Old 2008-04-15, 9:05pm

Arrow Springs sells them; they are very nice quality, and come in either 9 or 12 inch lengths.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com