LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-11-14, 10:15am

Default I want to make some tutorials; need instructions

I'm guessing that you have to have some sort of special program to make online tutorials. For those of you who have made them, I'd love some advice. I'm thinking about doing a tute on my beach beads and my polymer and dichroic pendants. Both beads have already been published in magazines so I may as well sell the technique if there's any interest.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-14, 10:29am
Storm Queen

I had Adobe Pagemaker and I tried that first.....what a joke. I felt like I was in a different country where no one spoke English. Then I downloaded Microsoft Office Publisher and it felt like home. I use Microsoft Expression to do my website so the software was very familiar. You can download a trial version (it's the full version actually) for free and you have it for three months before it locks up and you have to pay for it. It also has a built in PDF converter right in it too.

Old 2009-11-15, 2:52am
Alchemist

I use photoshop for my simple online tuts. I've written longer tuts in MSWord, and converted them to PDF from there - that works pretty well, too, and is simpler to use than things like CorelDRAW etc. Let me know if I can help at all

Old 2009-11-15, 6:44am
Mary Lockwood

I use microsoft word to make my tutorials and then I use PrimoPDF to convert them into pdf files. PrimoPDF is a free converter; there are others to choose from as well.

Old 2009-11-15, 7:41am
birdergirl ~o~

I would be willing to do layouts ( I use quark or illustrator, indesign)with provided photos and text, and can make final PDF files, can also do any simple or complex technical drawings to clarify photos as well as correct photos and label or insert arrows on photos. Could do some or all of the above whatever is needed.
Would do as a trade for tuts, or other such as glass, tools or who knows what! Not above cash either LOL!!!!
I would provide a confidentiallity promise/agreement.
Just a thought for you or others.

PS offer aplies to anyone needing this type of help!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2009-11-15 at 9:05am. Reason: Ps
Old 2009-11-15, 7:20pm

Thanks Cadia, I may take you up on that! I forgot to mention that I am on a Mac. I have a friend who's son does all her web stuff so I sent an email to him as well. They are Mac people too.

Old 2009-11-15, 7:33pm

I used plain old print shop press writer and converted it to a pdf file. I love print shop - cut and paste!!!

Old 2009-11-15, 7:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Maybe someone should write a tutorial on writing tutorials

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-15, 9:34pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Maybe someone should write a tutorial on writing tutorials

For any tutorials I've ever done, I just used MS Word and saved it as a PDF file.
Easy peasy, and you don't have to buy anything new.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-11-15, 11:13pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post

For any tutorials I've ever done, I just used MS Word and saved it as a PDF file.
Easy peasy, and you don't have to buy anything new.
Squidly... *I*d bite... not a bad idea at all!

Karen - I really appreciate the tip... I'd sort of noticed someone mentioning something about this but didn't realize Word could do that.. Thanks!

Rachel the firekat

Old 2009-11-15, 11:18pm

Well, my friend's son says he uses Photoshop for his mom's tutes. I only have Elements but it doesn't sound that difficult to do. I'm going to try it and I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 2009-11-16, 6:27am
birdergirl ~o~

If they ever stop making MACs ~ I'll stop using computers!
Cheryl, if you hit any roadblocks just pm me and I 'll see if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart View Post
Thanks Cadia, I may take you up on that! I forgot to mention that I am on a Mac. I have a friend who's son does all her web stuff so I sent an email to him as well. They are Mac people too.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-11-16, 9:43am

I agree, I love my Mac! I'm going to try my Elements program and see if I can figure it out. If I have any problems I'll let you know. Thanks!

Old 2009-11-29, 7:29am
Debra Clutter

Has anyone tried Microsoft Office OneNote? I love this software! It comes with office 2007. I use it to create tutorials and pdf's all the time. The nice thing about it is you can place a image or text anywhere on the page. My lampwork diary on my website was created with it. The bad thing is it is not mac friendly! Just another option anyway.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-11-29, 7:32am
Debra Clutter

Hey Chery, you are close to me! Now I know of 4 of us in this area!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-11-29, 8:41am

I used Iwork on my Mac. It was sooooo easy. I used Pages. I first tried Photoshop on my old PC, which is what I do all of my Ebay stuff on, but I couldn't do it. It drove me crazy. The Mac is so DUH easy. I too am a huge Mac fan.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2009-11-29 at 8:43am.
Old 2009-11-29, 12:30pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

WOW this is a great thread!!! Amy I have a quick question where can I find this PDF feature I looked and looked???? I am not software dumb but I am new to the Office Suite I downloaded- I got the pro version on a free trial I like that feature lol. Thank you in advance for helping me out

Old 2009-11-29, 2:13pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Okay, gonna check these suggestions out, thanks!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-11-29, 2:20pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
WOW this is a great thread!!! Amy I have a quick question where can I find this PDF feature I looked and looked???? I am not software dumb but I am new to the Office Suite I downloaded- I got the pro version on a free trial I like that feature lol. Thank you in advance for helping me out
In Microsoft Publisher click on File>Publish as PDF. A screen will pop up and you can name your file and also click on Change to pick the publish options, I used standard. Good thing you asked me today because my free trial ends tomorrow and I'm not sure I'm going to purchase it. I don't see another tutorial in my future.

Old 2009-11-29, 5:10pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'm in no way advocating for anyone to do a lousy job, but the
reality is that if you build it, they will come .

It doesn't matter if it's a PDF, DOC, or even a massive JPG. So long
as you have clear instructions, good pictures, and a reasonable
price, then people will be very happy.

It's so easy to get caught up in all the minutia and wait for the
perfect way to do this comes along. Just look at all the tutorials
you DO have (or order one from somebody), then try and make yours look like
that - regardless of what you have to use.

If.You.Write.It.They.Will.Buy.It.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-12-16, 9:42am

Good advice, Karen! I actually forgot about this thread with Stripes getting hurt, Thanksgiving, etc. I haven't tried to make a tute yet but Ray Friesen said that whatever program I use I just save it as a pdf and then email it to the buyer. I think once all the holiday hoopla settles down I'll give it a try and I will let you know how it turns out!