Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-17, 11:42am
Sheila

Default Cracked--compatibility or shock?

I made this bead with a base of Supernova with opal yellow and more Supernova on top. The crack runs around its equator, and tends to follow the OY for most of the crack.

I didn't see the crack until last week, and I made the bead about three weeks ago.

Is it compatibility, or did I let the bead get too cool?
Old 2006-12-17, 11:45am

Incompatibility looks like a spiderweb, maybe the base was too cold, too. What colours did you use for this bead? Moretti,... You have to check first if there are problems between different procucers and colors.
Old 2006-12-17, 12:06pm

Thermal shock cracks tend to run along the hole, parallel to the mandrel. This looks like compatibility cracks to me.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2006-12-17, 2:35pm
Storm Queen

Looks like incompatibility to me.

Old 2006-12-17, 2:43pm
I'm a lilac!

Long beads will often crack around the equator if they get too cold during making. If it's a more-or-less straight crack around the equator, it's probably thermal shock. If it wanders, it's probably incompatibility.

Old 2006-12-17, 2:55pm

I'd bet it was thermal shock as well. It runs around the bead near where it is thickest.....the center there would cool as you were working it while the surface was heated and can set up a thermal shock zone. It's a beautiful bead though.
Old 2006-12-17, 5:01pm
Storm Queen

My incapatibility answer is based on the fact that I'm having some Supernova issues myself. I just used the last of it and I won't be ordering any more.

Old 2006-12-17, 6:27pm
Sheila

Well, damn. Thanks for the replies. I suspect compatibility, but was hoping it might be something else. I wish I could get a good pic of the other side of the crack, where it follow the OY. What you see above is the only spot where it doesn't.

I've made several Supernova and OY beads (it's an unpredictable and fun combo) and none of the others are cracked... yet. I'm glad I didn't sell them.
Old 2006-12-17, 9:50pm

I have had problems with cracking when I use Supernova over opaque colors, but I have no problems with Supernova over clear.
Carol