The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-15, 8:19am
It's not easy being green

Default Big Toothy Smile

Hello!

Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to do the big toothy grin you see on some of the critter beads? Are the teeth formed with some sort of tool? I want to make a bead with a big toothy, goofy smile and am having no luck.

Lonni
Old 2006-12-15, 9:40am
Member of the Booger7

I don't have a tutorial, but lay down your white and use a razor blade to make the tooth marks first, then add your lips.
I'm sure someone can give you a more eloquent explanation, but at least you've got something to start with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dianna -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-15, 10:35am

Thanks Dianna!

I was really hoping there was some sort of tool that made the teeth all at once. I have been trying to do the razor thing for teeth but it seems that if I get one defined then I end up melting it all back trying to do another one.

Maybe my creatures are destined for just one big tooth? hee hee

Lonni
Old 2006-12-15, 10:39am
Member of the Booger7

I usually heat my white up really good and make my horizontal mark, then heat it again and do the rest quickly and deep, so when I add the lips it's ok to get a little heat back on them.
I don't do teeth very often, so I may not be the best person to give advice.

Dianna -

Old 2006-12-15, 2:19pm
Smile, it's contagious!

That's exactly how I do mine... horizontal line first, then reheat for the little vertical ones. I use a palette knife instead of a razor though. Then add the lips.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-12-15, 3:55pm

Thanks Gelly! I love the smile on the piggy. It cracks me up every time I see it. I love all your piggies but that one is my favorite.

I am off to practice toothy smiles.

Lonni
Old 2006-12-15, 8:32pm
Always with a smile!

I'll share something I learned from my mentor, Crazy Woman: clear coat the white stringer and you will get the spaces between the teeth if that's what you want. Otherwise, i do them the way Gelly does.

) and
)
Old 2006-12-16, 6:44am

Jill, thanks for sharing that tip! I will give that a try!

Lonni