No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-01, 2:30pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Default Is there a tool like this?

I've been wanting to find a metal tool for that has multiple "teeth" for raking a few fine lines at the same time. I guess sort of like a fork, but wanting much finer lines . . . does that make sense?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I actually keep looking at my dog's metal comb, but somehow I don't think that would really work.

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2008-07-01, 2:37pm
burnin' glass just becuz

lol... i'm looking for the same thing! and don't try the pet brushes with really thin teeth - they melt FAST (ask me how i know) ;-D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-07-01, 2:39pm

I haven't tried this, but thought maybe a florist frog may work? I use mine for implosions...would it work for what you're looking for?
Old 2008-07-01, 2:56pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Maybe you could file down the tines on a fork?
I'm a big believer in not reinventing the wheel...

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-07-01, 3:02pm

Don't drummers have some stainless steel brushes that they use on the drums...

And, if that was a dumb assumption.... you are getting what you paid for...

Old 2008-07-01, 3:42pm
ID10T Problem Solver

There is a surgical tool, in the retractor family, that sounds like what you are looking for.

The little fork looking tools in this picture?

Surgical Tools

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2008-07-01, 4:52pm
The Brighter the Better!

Why not use the serrated edge of a knife? You could file the points to be sharper too!

Old 2008-07-01, 5:14pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
lol... i'm looking for the same thing! and don't try the pet brushes with really thin teeth - they melt FAST (ask me how i know) ;-D
Tee hee. Ok, how do you know? I am SO tempted to break apart the comb we have (not the ultra thin teeth brush-type thing) and play with it, but I know the results won't be pretty.

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2008-07-01, 5:27pm

Another thought ~ a stainless steel whisk.... cut apart and you can probably position the 'tines' where ever you want.

Old 2008-07-01, 5:30pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!! I like the retractor idea because of the sharp ends, now if I could just find one of the right size that is cheap. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright-eyed Beads View Post
Why not use the serrated edge of a knife? You could file the points to be sharper too!
Well, hmm, I never thought of that - I'm going to that that! Might have to try a few different styles of knives, but I definitely am going to try this. . and that just reminded me of the old angel-food cake knife that my mother used to use - it was not really a cutting knife, but it had long narrow "teeth" almost like a comb. I wonder if they still make those things lol, but i bet that would work great.

Great ideas everyone...off to look for cheap surgical tools () online, and weird knives in the kitchen..... I'll let y'all know if I find anything interesting Oh and the wisk? If I was brave enough to cut it apart, that would be great since I like the idea of the ends being curved.

Last edited by Sherri*S; 2008-07-01 at 5:35pm.
Old 2008-07-01, 5:36pm

How about one of those hair picks with stainless steel tines that people use for fluffing their hair perms? I just happen to have one and I'm so glad you helped me think of it!
Old 2008-07-01, 6:14pm
Glass-aholic

the cheese knive things with the prongs are GREAT. Go to a kitchen supply store and go through the stainless section, I am sure you will find something you are looking for!!! I also found some things that look like tuning forks at joanns fabrics. They were $1 for 4, and I abuse them ALOT.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-02, 6:41am

Pampered Chef makes a small multi tined item called Hold'N Slice.
Just go to the Pampered Chef website and it's in the cutting section, I think. I have one and rarely use it. This could be a new use for it.
Old 2008-07-02, 6:52am
birdergirl ~o~

Glsgrl,
How do you use the frogg for implosions?
I'd love to know !

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-07-02, 7:36am
Borovangelist

Check this out, I think it's what you're looking for:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47874

Tom

|
|
Old 2008-07-02, 8:16am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

go get you some brass nails .sharpen them and put them in a piece of wood however you want them.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-07-02, 10:00am
birdergirl ~o~

i love homemade tools!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-07-02, 5:29pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Wow, y'all are awesome with your suggestions.... someone found me a very cheap retractor on Ebay, and I'm getting that hold n slice thing from Pampered chef (heck, it's only $3, not counting the other stuff I found to buy ha ha)

Mike, I wish I had seen your post earlier tho --- a homemade tool never occurred to me...I'll have to go poking around in the garage to see what we've got for nails or sharp things.... . I'll let y'all know if I come up with anything cool!!!

Old 2008-07-02, 7:20pm

As a former social worker, the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post was a lice comb...
Old 2008-07-02, 9:12pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabebop View Post
As a former social worker, the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post was a lice comb...
ewwwwww

Old 2008-07-02, 9:27pm
In search of her path....

why not get some stainless steel sewing pins and make one....put them into some fimo or some clay or something or epoxy them between some metal plates and try those? they are really fine toothed and I think will not give you the resistance that bigger tines like on a fort etc would. and as long as your not putting it directly in the flame it should be ok

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-07-02, 9:30pm
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabebop View Post
As someone has never even seen a louse or a lice comb, that was the first thing I thought of, too!
Old 2008-07-03, 12:25am
Lover of Life

How about using up some old 1/16 mandrels that have bent? Bend the ends at a 90 degree angle, and tape a few of them together, fanning them out a little... Hmmm, I might just try that. I have quite a few of those blasted things hanging around.

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2008-07-03, 1:57am
Pobody's nerfect!

Wow, old mandrels. what a great use for them. .... and sewing pins in fimo . . . You guys are making me giddy You ROCK!

These seem easy enough that I don't have to wait for my DH to get around to helping me.

Old 2008-07-03, 5:38am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

stainless will stick to glass in just a few seconds.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-07-03, 7:49am
In search of her path....

you could get some really thin tiny tungsten and sharpen it to a point but its $$$

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-07-03, 9:30am
Pobody's nerfect!

mike, true about SS sticking, but the bent mandrels go in the trash anyway.....(and so do a lot of my beads lol), so i might as well try to use them somehow... just have to practice fast and gentle raking , and be ready to toss the so-called "tool" in the trash when it gets ruined. but you're right, it wouldn't make sense to go out and spend money for SS for this purpose.

Gonna be doing a bunch of experimenting this weekend

Wou

Old 2008-07-03, 5:55pm
Dances With Fire

I just picked up a corer in the kitchen section of the dollar store.

and some sifters for enamel

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?