No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-06, 10:49am
Pobody's nerfect!

Default Jen-Ken/Bartlett controller question

Since it's Saturday and I can't contact Jen-Ken til Monday, I thought I'd pose the question here in the meantime. My kiln is broken . I thought I had turned it on to preheat this morning, but when I went back to the studio a few hours later it had "Err1" in the window.

I hadn't turned it on in about 2 weeks - I tried turning it on again, did the usual start-button-pushing routine, the little green "on" light flashed on for about a second, and then immediately went out. No error message in the window, just the kiln temperature displayed. Nothing else happened. All 4 of my programs did the same thing.

Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong? Or what I could be checking in the meantime?

Now since I can't torch, I might actually have to force myself to CLEAN my studio!!!!!! .... um ..... nah! I guess today is stringer/twistie/murrini day.

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2008-09-06, 1:17pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri*S View Post
Since it's Saturday and I can't contact Jen-Ken til Monday, I thought I'd pose the question here in the meantime. My kiln is broken . I thought I had turned it on to preheat this morning, but when I went back to the studio a few hours later it had "Err1" in the window.

I hadn't turned it on in about 2 weeks - I tried turning it on again, did the usual start-button-pushing routine, the little green "on" light flashed on for about a second, and then immediately went out. No error message in the window, just the kiln temperature displayed. Nothing else happened. All 4 of my programs did the same thing.

Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong? Or what I could be checking in the meantime?

Now since I can't torch, I might actually have to force myself to CLEAN my studio!!!!!! .... um ..... nah! I guess today is stringer/twistie/murrini day.
Err1 message on a Bartlett means either the elements or the rely have stopped working. It could be either, but it's most likely the relay. If you have for awhile been hearing a buzzing sound from the controller, it's almost definitely the relay. No big deal. Relay failure is common on all kilns. You should be able to buy a replacement relay from any kiln maker for about $25. and it takes only minutes to replace.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-06, 3:09pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Thanks, Dennis! I havent really noticed a buzzing noise, but that probably wouldn't be something I'd notice anyway, lol. Good to know it's probably going to be an easy fix

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2008-09-07, 9:22am

Sherri:

Try here: http://www.carlton-bates.com/

Much less than $25, suggest ordering a couple...have a spare on hand for the next time and save down time and shipping. They ship fast too.