Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-17, 5:33pm

Default Used my silvered ivory nubs

I've been collecting my "nubs"...that tiny bit of stringer that is too short to use. I had a decent size pile of them and I wasn't quite sure how I would use them, but I refused to throw them away. I had an "aha" moment this morning. Grabbed a dark ivory rod, melted the end and started picking up my nubs with it. Melted a few nubs into the end...and pulled a new stringer. Used them all up in this way. I now have a ton of new beautiful silvered ivory stringers!!! No waste... YAY! Just sayin.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-17, 6:21pm

Great idea! I have a pile of those, too....

Old 2012-12-17, 6:33pm
New-old member

Try picking them up like frit on a bead! Lately I have been pulling stringers just to break them up and make 'stringer frit'. Worth a try with your scraps.

Furnace worker melting boro on a Redmax with tanked oxy.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:54am

Great tip! I always just throw them away, so I love this idea

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2012-12-18, 3:34pm

Glad I could help a little. I have benefited from so many tips for so many years...it feels good to give a little back!

Old 2012-12-19, 7:24pm
Burning Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
I've been collecting my "nubs"...that tiny bit of stringer that is too short to use. I had a decent size pile of them and I wasn't quite sure how I would use them, but I refused to throw them away. I had an "aha" moment this morning. Grabbed a dark ivory rod, melted the end and started picking up my nubs with it. Melted a few nubs into the end...and pulled a new stringer. Used them all up in this way. I now have a ton of new beautiful silvered ivory stringers!!! No waste... YAY! Just sayin.....
Yep - that's what I do too.

/
/
/

Old 2012-12-19, 8:39pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I have a ton because I don't throw away anything!!! Thanks for the great idea.
Old 2012-12-19, 9:54pm
one day at a time

I thought about crushing them up into a fine frit. I must have a couple pounds of them in baby food jars and pimiento cheese containers.