No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-18, 8:41am
Marble Lover

Default Removing glass shards from the kiln

When I checked the kiln this morning, one of my blown ornaments was a pile of shards. It was blown pretty thin and there are lots of pieces in there. and I bet a lot of tiny ones.

I have a Chili Pepper, so the bottom of the kiln is a 2" blanket of fiber. I had to leave for work so didn't get to look closely, but I wouldn't doubt that there are tiny pieces down in the fiber.

I don't know if the fiber blanket can easily be removed or not. If so, then I can probably just take it out and shake/pick out the glass. If not, then the best plan I can come up with for getting the glass out is pick out the ones I can, then turn it on it's side and GENTLY shake as much else out that I can.

What is the best way of dealing with this with the Chili Pepper?

-BEP

ps. I don't have a Shop Vac anymore.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:18am

I also have a Chili Pepper kiln and have bits of glass as well as bead release all over the bottom of it. My grand plan was to just use the small hose attachment on my regular vacuum cleaner to clean it out. I don't think I would try removing the fiber blanket in there for fear it would tear and not go back in the same way.

You can probably tip the kiln over onto an open trash bag and shake most of the loose glass bits out. Otherwise, without vacuuming, I would probably just leave the tiny bits alone in there. They shouldn't get in the way of anything. I use rod racks inside my kiln though, I don't place beads directly onto the fiber blanket. If you do that the bits may be a problem. In that case I might buy another piece of fiber blanket and lay it on top to protect my beads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2012-12-18, 11:30am
Marble Lover

I do have 2 bead racks, but I do lie a lot of things on the bottom - ornaments and marbles. I think I'll pick out what I can then use the smallest attachment on the vacuum to get the rest. I didn't want to run glass through the new vacuum, but I guess it shouldn't hurt it.

Thanks for the reply, Christie!
-BEP
Old 2012-12-19, 7:15am

Default Another Idea

Just a thought that my help with the situation, consider using a cloth roller with the sticky paper to pickup the smaller pieces.
Old 2012-12-19, 7:25am

ummm, would that not make all the fibers stick to the roller as well as glass?
seems like a recipe for ripped fiber blanket.
Old 2012-12-19, 7:57am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorey01
Just a thought that my help with the situation, consider using a cloth roller with the sticky paper to pickup the smaller pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
ummm, would that not make all the fibers stick to the roller as well as glass?
seems like a recipe for ripped fiber blanket.
I got most of it out by hand last night and there's only tiny pieces left. The lint roller might work since it's not too sticky. I looked closely at the fiber in the bottom and it is a lot tougher and denser than I thought - I don't think it will stick to a lint roller.

We'll see tonight! I'll report back.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-19, 7:59pm
professional gimme fiver

I have a Paragon Bluebird and also have a bajillion pieces of bead release at the bottom of my kiln. I used a ShopVac one time and that worked really well, but the ShopVac broke and now I'm SOL, lol.

Old 2012-12-19, 9:02pm
Lampworkaholic!

DustBuster! You can use it on the fiber blanket, it won't suck it out. My first kiln was a Chili Pepper.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-20, 6:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrout View Post
I have a Paragon Bluebird and also have a bajillion pieces of bead release at the bottom of my kiln. I used a ShopVac one time and that worked really well, but the ShopVac broke and now I'm SOL, lol.
isn't the regular bluebird firebrick floor? i know the xl is....