Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-30, 1:26pm
...displaced ocean lover

Cool Light Red isn't....

Does anyone else have a problem with light red turning darker in spots?
I made several little piggies and they have stripes and spots on them. Very unsightly, even for a pig.

I'm assuming it has something to do with how hot a certain spot got...but how can I make a piggy if I can't heat the darn red?

Is there a tip for working reds?
Is there a red that stays the color of the rod?? Oh, and it has to be a lighter color red b/c I'm making Razorbacks.

Thanks you guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-30, 2:28pm
...displaced ocean lover

Oh, I was using Effetre Light Red...

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-30, 3:12pm
Uh Oh....

Aren't pigs pink?

Old 2012-08-30, 3:29pm
...displaced ocean lover

Yes, especially Gelly's cuties....but.....
Not Razorbacks!
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-30, 3:32pm

Have you tried CIM's Sangre?
I don't use Effetre reds for solid mass items. And yes, it's from heat. But it's difficult to avoid.

Old 2012-08-30, 3:36pm
...displaced ocean lover

Thanks, Patti...Dang it! I knew it...but trying to make a piggy w/o heating his little cheeks or ears...??
Fuhgeddabouddit.

I've used Sangre for my hollow peppers. It's pretty but not quite the right color. Hog fans are very particular about their red.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-30, 4:35pm
Uh Oh....

Oh, well, now I see what a red pig looks like. Lauscha reds. It comes in all different shades. I think the medium red would work.

Old 2012-08-30, 5:23pm
uncouthful cats

I have no idea how they might hold up, but CIM has several new opaque reds. You could write them & ask if the colors are stable for sculptural work.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-08-30, 5:43pm
A True Woofer

Effetre reds will do the darker - lighter spot thing when you get it too hot. I try to not go past the orange level of heat into the yellow level. That seems to help.

Old 2012-08-30, 5:57pm
Artistically Absorbed

I'm not sure if Reichenback still carries this, but back when they first started making 104, there was one they named Strawberry (Opaque) it is a great light red! Last time I was there I didn't see that but they had one called light red I think, I wonder if it is the same? I have a friend who loves Maraschino, I have some but haven't tried it yet.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-08-30, 6:09pm
Storm Queen

I stopped using Effetre reds years ago. In fact I think I just stayed away from using red because I hated Effetre red so much.

Old 2012-08-31, 8:15am
...displaced ocean lover

Talking You all are awesome for helping!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
Oh, well, now I see what a red pig looks like. Lauscha reds. It comes in all different shades. I think the medium red would work.
Thanks, I'll check them out...does Frantz carry it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan tabby View Post
I have no idea how they might hold up, but CIM has several new opaque reds. You could write them & ask if the colors are stable for sculptural work.
well...great minds and all, I just pulled out a CIM Maraschino earlier yesterday. It is sort of translucent and figured it would be the right color but streaky and clearish. I'm actually liking the color even though it is sort of a clear piggie. BTW these piggies are small, they are for earrings. So any glass will do...just need the right color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
Effetre reds will do the darker - lighter spot thing when you get it too hot. I try to not go past the orange level of heat into the yellow level. That seems to help.
Not sure if I can heat the cheeks in if I don't get it hot...but I'll try that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
I'm not sure if Reichenback still carries this, but back when they first started making 104, there was one they named Strawberry (Opaque) it is a great light red! Last time I was there I didn't see that but they had one called light red I think, I wonder if it is the same? I have a friend who loves Maraschino, I have some but haven't tried it yet.
-Echo
Oh, thanks, I'll look at OCR website. I don't mind getting 96 even...and I need some more clear anyway. And yes, good call. Maraschino is a very pretty red! It's kind of clear but I don't think that will matter actually. And it is a perfect Razorback red!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I stopped using Effetre reds years ago. In fact I think I just stayed away from using red because I hated Effetre red so much.
Now Amy...don't be hatin'

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-31, 8:20am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
I'm with you here on the Lauscha Red.
I've been staying away from the Effetre Red as they never look like the rods once annealed...

Old 2012-08-31, 8:22am
...displaced ocean lover

I was going to ask about annealing. I did a test bead that I put in the fiber blanket and it didn't look stripey. Does annealing affect the color, too?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-31, 9:00am
Uh Oh....

Frantz doesn't have a good selection of Lauscha. The Lauscha vendors probably have the reds. It's my favorite reds, even more then the CiM reds. I do like Sangre and Maraschino though and they are easier to get. They don't do the color change like Effetre reds do. Another red that isn't labeled as red and is more like blood red is Effetre Coral red. It's a dark opaque red and it's less prone to do the color change but it's hard to find and probably more expensive since it's a unique color.

Old 2012-08-31, 9:26am
...displaced ocean lover

So who ARE the Lausha vendors?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-31, 9:29am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Well, I am buying mine from Grace (theGlassShoppeStudio) but she is in Canada. You can email her as I know she have reds in stock.
I know that FlameDame also sell Lauscha but the site is down due to Isaac.
Used to have GlassDaddy but site is down and seems to be out of business...

I also have 1/2 rod of Lauscha opaque red if you want to try. I can send it to you if you wanna see if it's what you are looking for.

Old 2012-08-31, 9:31am
...displaced ocean lover

Liz, you are awesome, and that would be fabulous!! I'll send ya PP for the shipping just send me your addy for it!
Thanks!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-31, 9:32am
Storm Queen

ASK reds were really fab. I still have some that I use but I'm really low. CiM's are really nice.

Old 2012-08-31, 10:06am
What does the wolf says..

Count me in for the Lauscha reds!
As for the CIM, I only have the Bordello color that I despite as it's always turn brown on me. No matter how much oxygen gave it, striking, dancing naked under the full moon, it's still turning brown... YAK!
Old 2012-08-31, 10:43am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
ASK reds were really fab. I still have some that I use but I'm really low. CiM's are really nice.
ASK...is that the company that doesn't anymore make all the wonderful glass that others apparently have but now hoard?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-31, 2:03pm

We have 2 Lauscha reds @ half off. But I am in CT until Sept 6. Site will reopen that day.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2012-09-05 at 8:30pm.
Old 2012-08-31, 2:16pm
...displaced ocean lover

Thanks Paula...glad you made it to the wedding!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-31, 5:42pm
Uh Oh....

Flame Dame is one, another is http://www.lauschalady.com/LLGlass.html. There might be others but both these places offer a wide assortment of colors and good customer service.

Old 2012-09-02, 4:05pm
...displaced ocean lover

Thank you, Susan!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-09-12, 4:43pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Now you need to post pics of the beads made with the Lauscha reds!

Old 2012-09-13, 6:30am
...displaced ocean lover

You know what...that's a good idea! I'll take photos tomorrow!
Thanks again!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-09-13, 12:01pm
one day at a time

I miss working with reds so much that it's one of the main reasons I'm hooking the HH back up. First I have to get the local welding shop to agree to order and deliver the tank for me, and it's a 60lb tank.
Old 2012-09-14, 2:43pm
...displaced ocean lover

Shoot...wish you were here. I need to sell my big tank AND it's full!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-12-12, 1:27pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Roo, I was playing with Maraschino and it was redredred, never got livery (all reds for me go dark or livery 'cause I COOK my glass), and the small test beads I made were opaque with a hint of translucency. Maybe cooking Maraschino makes it opaque?

I even melted in small Maraschino dots over Peace and it stayed opaque, slightly lighter but still opaque. I should post pictures. Remind me in email.

~
~

#M-191