No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-06, 11:33am
Mama said

All the etch talk reminded me...

If you etch an ugly bead, guess what? Yup. Still ugly.

~Michelle
Old 2006-08-06, 2:06pm
Dichro Queen

Be careful which beads you send to people who love you! I sent my mother some UGLY beads (that had been "over polished in an unsuccessful attempt to make them pretty - NOT!) that she could use as novel decoration in her garden. Did they go in her garden??? NOOOOOOO. Instead she made a necklace out of them ALL and wears it around. When I go to visit, I hear many a "so you're the beadmaker....hmmm...they are very unique." Although I have tempted mom with some decent sets, she still has that fricken fracken ugly garden bead necklace. I won't be out to Washington until next summer.....so embarrassed!
Old 2006-08-06, 3:29pm
Mama said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokomis
Although I have tempted mom with some decent sets, she still has that fricken fracken ugly garden bead necklace. I won't be out to Washington until next summer.....so embarrassed!
That is SO like a Mama! lol

~Michelle
Old 2006-08-06, 4:42pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

I hear that! My mom loves ALL my beads, especially the fuglies - go figure! She's always trying to talk me into giving them to her - NO WAY I tell her, because she'll do just like Nokomis' mom and show them to people, and then they'll think that's the best I can do! She's been the recipient of plenty of my good stuff, so she doesn't need the rejects! Even after 47 years, I'm still her kid and she loves all my artwork - LOL!
Old 2006-08-06, 5:04pm
birdergirl ~o~

Yup ,
Done that and that and that And this:
Don't lovingly "pat" your bead after snuggling it into the fiber blanket,
.. Unless you want a bead that's flat on two sides!
cadia
Old 2006-08-06, 5:16pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Cadia,
Done that and also ended up with a bead covered in fuzzies after putting it into the blanket too soon!
Old 2006-08-06, 5:22pm
Yup.

Don't light yourself on fire. I wore (and still wear) fleece while torching. One day I left my button-up fleece oven, reached over the desk and put my open fleece jacket right into the flame. I wish I had a picture of that jacket to scare you all with. I was a ball of flames in about half of a second and lost some hair, too.

Always wear pants! I'll admit to torching in my underwear, swimsuit and sometimes just a tee-shirt. I have many many burns on my upper thigh and... TRUST ME... in places you do not want burns. Sex has taken a backseat to burns in my house on more than one occasion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Last edited by JCHerrellGlass; 2006-08-06 at 5:24pm.
Old 2006-08-06, 5:55pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHerrellGlass
I have many many burns on my upper thigh and... TRUST ME... in places you do not want burns. Sex has taken a backseat to burns in my house on more than one occasion.
I'm getting a little queasy just thinking about this.
Old 2006-08-07, 6:47am
burnin' glass just becuz

this thread is hilarious...

my input:

1. don't feel obliged to use the very last mm of stringer, (even tho it took forever to figure out how to pull it evenly) - u will burn yr finger

2. when u do burn that finger (lol), don't, i repeat DON'T automatically stick yr finger in yr mouth. Grilled human flesh tastes even worse than it smells.

3. don't try to blow silver leaf into the right place on yr marver

4. don't use the side of yr hand to swipe yr work area clean. not even if it looks like nothing is there. ouch! splinters!

5. Exploding glass from improperly heated rods flies a lot further than u would think... and yes, that smell is from the carpet in the far corner burning.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2006-08-07, 7:28am

Remember to wear a leather apron when you work.
Get a chair with wheels so you can jump up fast.
Remove all dog toys under your chair.
Silvadine is your friend

Before I learned these little tips I had a big blob of glass and it blew off the rod and landed in my lap and got stuck between thigh and belly flab. I tried to stand up and the chair had dog toys under it and would not move.
third degree burn. Did the very same thing 15 minutes later. Doc was talking skin graft.
Don't put your hand in the flame(4 times, different days) the burn is intense. Good thing is it doesn't hurt because you have burnt the nerves up. It does start to hurt when it starts to heal.
And after all these times of stupidity
I saved the bead every time..

Old 2006-08-07, 8:56am
Crazy Snake Lady

Too, too funny (and incredibly painful sounding!) everyone!!!

I'm beginning to feel like I should only approach my torch after putting on some sort of protective force-field!

And here's my proof that hot glass really does burn wood FAST!!! My kitchen table will never be the same...

Have a great day all - I'm off to work - well, I work from home - but you get the picture.

Old 2006-08-07, 8:57am

I certainly can relate to and agree that if you decide to blow the glass, blow from a distance. Kissing hot glass definitely stops you from kissing anyone for a while. And yes, everyone in the room will know you did it because you say a few choice words out loud and then when they realize what you did they will start laughing. I had to laugh at myself also.
Old 2006-08-07, 9:01am
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleValleyGlass
All the etch talk reminded me...

If you etch an ugly bead, guess what? Yup. Still ugly.

~Michelle
I actually don't agree with this one - I had a set that I wasn't thrilled with that I etched and like MUCH better - the turquoise had reduced in the original set and was nice and vivid after etching.

I've done almost everything here and have one to add:

When quenching your mandrels (sticking them in the kiln while it's heating up then taking them to a sink of cold water and dumping them in - this stiffens them up again), don't use regular potholders to grab the mandrels with . . . I should take a pic of the poor thing (what's left of it). Luckily, I moved it down to the "cooler" end of the mandrels before it got to my skin! Somehow, I don't think they were made to handle 900+ degree temps
Old 2006-08-07, 10:43am
Everybody Needs Beads!

The last I checked, no one had said this one:
If you open up the kiln to put in a new bead and a mandrel with a bead falls OUT.....do NOT pick it up with your hand. Good gawd!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2006-08-07, 10:44am
Glassass

1.Don't try and put frit back in the pot by wetting your fingers and pushing down to pick it all up. Yes, it may be very pretty but its still teeny weeny shards of glass.

2. A point already covered dont work in shorts or indeed underwear. The burns and scars are indeed a good talking point but not as much as a talking point as you give the delivery guy who knocks on your door. Soooo intense is your concentration that you forget you are wearing underwear whilst you yank the door open waving a rod of glass and an angry expression.

3. Dont believe me....try it.

4.When using the marver for quite some time, don't think it makes a good headrest while you are polishing the bead in the flame.

5.When a bead pops apart in the flame after being left out too long DONT pick up the bit that popped off and try and reattach it to the bead.

6.Opaque beverages to hand are a great idea until you get to the bottom and wonder what those bits are.

7.NO ONE believes you when you tell them that beads are supposed to be that grey colour OK?

8.Sticking a bead back together does not make it wearable.

9.Panicking and trying to catch droopy glass with your hand is probably a foolish thing to do and might possibly give you a biiiiiiiig icky burn in the middle of your hand that stops all action for weeks......or I would imagine so..

10. Hot glass does not shake off the skin no matter how many of those funky hot glass dance moves you perform. It just is not impressed by such things.

11.Using the tip of your finger to steady the end of the mandrel whilst working in the flame is incredibly stupid, no matter how tired your mandrel arm is. It would be even more stupid to change hands and do it with the other finger.....wouldn't it?

None of the above was ever performed by me of course these are only my imaginings........................................ .......................................
Old 2006-08-07, 12:01pm
Crazy Snake Lady

OMG Tanok! ROTFLMAO!
Old 2006-08-07, 5:30pm

If you store your rods vertically in glass jars, do not lean over them to reach for something on a shelf above them while wearing a baggy shirt.

JanMD
Old 2006-08-07, 6:02pm
Hot Rod Addiction

#1 - This thread is hilarious.
#2 - Laurie, love the cornsnake avatar! I'm a snake lover myself (I have seven of them.)
Old 2006-08-07, 6:12pm

Don't torch in nylon jogging pants, and if you need a third hand to hold that hot rod, don't use your mouth - - - or so I've heard
Lori
Old 2006-08-07, 6:35pm

Lots of don't, here's a do:

Run, do not walk, and buy this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45193

Has saved my skin more times then I care to count... My skin, my "girls", my lap, my thighs... you get the picture.

Old 2006-08-07, 6:50pm

Don't put your finished bead in your Diet Coke to cool instead of your can of vermiculite.
Old 2006-08-07, 9:08pm

Do not allow cats in the studio at any time. Singed hair, beads make perfect "I'm Bored" playthings, and they will drink the water you are cleaning the bead release with!

Wonky beads make great fishing line weights.

The TOP of the kiln is HOT!

Torches POP when turned off incorrectly, rather sounds like gunfire.

Laminated countertops melt, smell bad and are unattractive after hot glass has landed on them.

Fake fingernails flame quite nicely.

Jen
Old 2006-08-08, 2:34am
-boring beads-

Quote:
Don't light yourself on fire. I wore (and still wear) fleece while torching.
Hahaha...I can´t...since I don´t have a single fleece pullover left.....

Anastasia
Old 2006-08-08, 3:30am
Viking Flame Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfire
Fake fingernails flame quite nicely.
So does natural fingernails with lovely red nailpolish.

Been there, done that, have to buy the t-shirt. (Karin sells "Don't set yourself on fire"-t-shirts on cafépress, doesn't she?)

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-08-08, 3:55am
ID10T Problem Solver

If that off mandrel piece you are working on has come unattached 3 times and:
* burned a whole in your pants, so reattach it to the punty, then
* fell on the floor and burned a whole in the rug, then reattached, then
* fell on your hand on the table and melted the tip of your fingernail, TO the top of your finger.....

STOP reattaching it and just give up!

The realization that 1) There are some things you need more practice before you take them on and 2) You cannot save EVERYTHING, are priceless lessons to learn!

Jana (who is really sitting here with her hand in a bag of ice!)

***Scorpion (4 stud)***

Last edited by jana; 2006-08-08 at 4:58am.
Old 2006-08-08, 5:42am

Never catch a glass rod between your fingers if it blows up... That was really ugly! I have a nice twisty brand on my web page thing it's the bottom picture on my home page.. www.fireballbeeds.com I was making a twisty and gave it one last torque and the one end blew off and bounce around on my collar bone before it hit the floor!

Actually I rarely wear shoes when I torch I've had to many little hot bits fall under the straps on my sandles....

And here is an all new one I have corplast (white plastic stuff that looks a bit like coragated cardboard) over my windows to diffuse the lite I caught it on fire last friday (took me 5 years...) anyway that stuff burns like those little compressed blocks they used to sell to lite briquettes... lucky me was wearing shoes that day because I had to stomp out the flames! I did salvage the bead but it lost a number of peices as I was trying to put out the flames!

And last but not least pay attention to the stringer that you are feeding onto your bead, fingers don't melt nearly as nicely as the glass!

Lynne
Old 2006-08-08, 6:17am
-boring beads-

Hehehehe.....

My very first mistake, I really had no clue back then:
Don´t try to melt glass in soup ladle...that thing melts first.
Lol......

Anastasia
Old 2006-08-08, 6:34am
Cheerfully Profane

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakisses
If that off mandrel piece you are working on has come unattached 3 times and:
* burned a whole in your pants, so reattach it to the punty, then
* fell on the floor and burned a whole in the rug, then reattached, then
* fell on your hand on the table and melted the tip of your fingernail, TO the top of your finger.....

STOP reattaching it and just give up!

The realization that 1) There are some things you need more practice before you take them on and 2) You cannot save EVERYTHING, are priceless lessons to learn!

Jana (who is really sitting here with her hand in a bag of ice!)
You too? I've been lampworking for 5 years and stuck my hand in the flame for the first time today. I am so pissed.
Old 2006-08-08, 6:41am
ID10T Problem Solver

Yep, me too, but I have only been at it since May.

I am going to run up to the doctor's office on my lunch break today and explain my new "hobby" and ask for a prescription of Silverdine to have on hand!

I am sure once she sees my finger (and the scorch on my arm from laying it across the top of the torch last week ), it will not be too hard to convince her to also put refills on there!

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-08-08, 8:29am
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGirlGoneBad
#1 - This thread is hilarious.
#2 - Laurie, love the cornsnake avatar! I'm a snake lover myself (I have seven of them.)

I love this thread and I'm so glad to see it's still going strong! What better way to start your morning (and afternoon, and evening!) then to check in for a good laugh.

Reptiles Rule!!! I have a: corn snake, ball python, blue tongue skink, chameleon, and savanah monitor. I'm on a waiting list for a winter hatching of indigo snakes - woohoo! I've wanted one of them since I was a kid.

On to the stupid newbie mistakes. Don't in desperation ever try to continue flaming a bead that has broken free of the release... I hoped by twirling it really fast I could get it to round up in the flame...Baaaad idea!!!

First it started moving towards my fingers and when I panicked and tipped it the other way, yup, it flew off the mandrel onto the floor and rolled straight for my nice new carpet! Of course I gave chase and - PICKED IT UP!!! Hot Hot Hot!

I won't be making any more beads until my fingers heal...Where's the Silverdine?