LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-09-02, 11:22am
Phragile Glasswerks

Really nice Dasi!
Old 2013-09-02, 1:14pm

Dasi, How did you catch so many jellyfish at one time? Really, they look fantastic!
I especially like the one that curve. It implies so much movement. The bottom 1,2,3, are my favorites!
Old 2013-09-02, 1:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlando1 View Post
Dasi, How did you catch so many jellyfish at one time? Really, they look fantastic!
I especially like the one that curve. It implies so much movement. The bottom 1,2,3, are my favorites!
thanks to both of you!

Those little jellies were just laying on the beach and I could not wait to catch them and encase them in acrylic! LOL... thanks

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-09-02, 5:24pm
specializing in obnoxious

Heather, I really like how you let the jelly dictate the final form that the pendants took. I think it adds a lot of interest to already beautiful jellyfish. I'm sure they will be very well received

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-02, 7:17pm
Flamewoman

Heather! those are really fun! Love how you have them swimming sideways on some of them. Very pretty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-02, 7:26pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlando1 View Post
Hey Mary, Love those crazy tentacles on your newest jellies! What color are the tentacles?
I posted some info on fuming for you in the fume quest thread. Have a good one.
Dave
The blueish tentacles are peacock, and the almost grey ones on same fish are just indian purple, and of course all the rest are chinese white, well mixed.
Thanks for all your fume info, I printed it and will try some fuming this winter when I can open the place up for more ventilation. And just too busy right now to try anything new, I have to really get to work, I have 3 big art shows coming up soon and 3 big orders on top of that. I get up everyday and go right out to my shop and work till noon.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-03, 5:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousglass View Post
Heather, I really like how you let the jelly dictate the final form that the pendants took. I think it adds a lot of interest to already beautiful jellyfish. I'm sure they will be very well received
not actually..... they were all centered like #1 and 2. I then manipulate the glass after they are made like #1 and 2 to create movement in the pendant. It is an extra shaping step.

Old 2013-09-03, 11:50am

Dasi, those are fab! I love #3 and 5.

No new from me yet, I had soft glass to test.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-09-04, 3:52pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Hello Jelly Heads! So i usually make my jellies in a one step process. This time I used The two step tech and I am pretty happy with my first one. Basically I imploded a dot of NS Alaskan Thunder then on the second rod imploded my dots to form the tentacle . I think this is the way Dlando explains in his mini tut.
Then put the two together to form the jelly. Then i used cobalt for the bail. Thanks for looking!
Old 2013-09-05, 5:39am
Flamewoman

Really nice Pat! lol Jelly Heads ~ I like it. I have been called way worse, lol.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-05, 8:37am

Hey Pat, I started to put my caps directly on top of the tentacles. I found that I kept placing the cap off center when I tried to add the cap the way I drew in that post.
Try it, placing the cap on top of the tentacles. The next thing I do is heat the cap and push it down into a small marble mold. Reheat the cap to take out the chill marks, and then heat a gather of glass and push it down on top of the cap. I usually pre-make the gather so all I have to do is reheat it. Just before you push the gather down on the cap, reheat the cap so there are no air bubbles caught between the cap and the gather. If this makes no sense to you, I can take a few pics to make up for my poor communication skills. By the way, the one above looks great.
Yes, I'm a proud Jellyhead! Actually, that explains a lot about me.
Dave
Old 2013-09-05, 8:52am
Phragile Glasswerks

Hey Dave ! I tried that way to it jus seems like i i start spinning to much and the tentacles are way to twisted. But the reason im practicing imploding the cap , i was reading this post on another forum and instead of imploding the tentacles they layed stringers down and encased layed stringers and encased. The end results r awesome. But basically im to the point where im jus experimenting on a few different techs. And in the mean time for smaller stuff ill give it go putting the dot directly on top of the tentacles. Thanks for the tips!
Old 2013-09-05, 9:29am

Pat that encasing thing sounds interesting. Where did you find it? thanks
Old 2013-09-05, 9:49am
Phragile Glasswerks

Hey Dave her ya go!
Look at post #7 . Actually after reading he puts his dot on top also. But anyways a very nice tech.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...yfish%3F%3F%3F

Last edited by PhatPat; 2013-09-05 at 9:53am. Reason: Update info
Old 2013-09-05, 10:33am

Gonna' try it this afternoon. Thanks Pat
Old 2013-09-05, 12:09pm
Phragile Glasswerks

No problem Dave always happy to share info. Yeah I might give it a go again tonight. Hopefully yours makes it to a picture cuz my first was well lets jus say not photogenic at all. Lol! Have fun !
Old 2013-09-05, 7:50pm

When you put the dot on top of the tentacles, you can just adjust it a little by pushing in whatever direction you need to. Just center it by giving the dot a little nudge. I use a cheese knife and flatten it a little in the direction I need to center it. Then heat, and it becomes a mound again on top of the tentacles. Then encase in clear.... make sense?

Old 2013-09-07, 9:07pm

Thanks to everybody for the info on how to make jellyfish pendants. I mostly make marbles, but I thought I would try to make jellyfish pendants. I’ve made 26 of them so far. Most of them I’ve experimented on trying different methods, so those turned out bad. But here is #18 which isn't too bad.
To make my jellyfish pendants I basically used a combination of Mary K and Dave’s methods, with some differences. At first I had trouble with getting an air bubble under the bell, so I used Dave’s method for the bell. But, I didn’t have a graphite tool to push in the bell. So, I used a rounded glass rod. Now I’ve made a couple of brass push tools using screws. To make one I drilled a pilot hole into a wooden dowel and screwed in a brass screw. Then I cut off the head of the screw and sanded it round. One is 4mm. The other is 5mm. I just used this today. It worked best if I pushed lightly with the brass pusher, then pushed the bell in further with the tentacles. I think the brass pusher would be better if it were bigger, but I used the biggest brass screws they had at the hardware store.
For the tentacles I used Mary K’s method, but instead of putting the dots close to the edge of the maria, I put them half way between the center and the edge of the maria. When I do this, I make the maria twice as big as I normally would. The reason I do this is too have more clear glass on the bottom around the tentacles. I end up with less bubbles and the pendant isn’t as pointy. When I first tried to make jellyfish pendants I had trouble getting the gather to melt down towards the tentacles without getting bubbles. Plus there is a thin seam line in the clear glass. At first I didn’t notice it, but it is noticeable when you aim a bright flashlight towards the side of the pedant. One jellyfish pendant I tried encasing instead of put a big gather on. You could see the seam lines on the bell. I’ve made a few jellyfish marbles and you can notice the seam line more on the marbles than you can on a pendant.
Now, I just need to practice making bails. That’s the hardest part for me to make on a jellyfish pendant.
Attached Images

Old 2013-09-12, 2:54am

These two I used my new thinner pointier tungsten poke, but the main difference was in the amount of stretching I did to the tentacles afterwards: they were looking more or less the same as my previous one before I did that.

Jelly 9: this was NS light ruby with GA persimmon strike on top. This came out the same colour as the persimmon strike on its own, but stopped the tentacles washing out, which is handy. Backed with cobalt.

Jelly 10: cap is NS blue caramel - went beige and the beige was not budging! Tentacles are double amber purple. The pendant shape isn't as good because it fell off the punty and landed in my lap when I was shaping the bail and got singed bits of leather apron on it, so I had to pull some of the glass back off. I hadn't added a backing either as it takes me quite a long time to melt those in. The second pic shows the blue fumey part under the cap.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-09-12, 6:56pm
Flamewoman

Default 8 Jellies in a day.

This is 2 shots of best of day today. They all look about like this,
but this one has the most frilly tentacles of them all.
I made 8 of these today. gasp

no flash

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2013-09-15 at 8:54pm.
Old 2013-09-26, 1:45am

I got a 10lpm oxycon. Aaaaah, I can turn my torch up if I want to now! It's great.

I've started with my Momka sample pack. This jelly is violet medley - the cap struck but the tentacles didn't. The backing is cloud, which is really pretty and also hard to photograph! The in-hand photo is most representative of looking at it head-on. Turning it about gets light peaches and blue-greens depending.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-09-26, 6:41am
Flamewoman

Very nice Heather! Great you got your concentrator! Flame on!

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-10-02, 5:57am

Here are jellies from the weekend.

12. Jellyfish is Momka Alaska Night, backing is Winter Sky. I love how this one came out! The Alaska Night has gone darker at the ends of the tentacles, where they are reheated to pull and twist them out, and is a great blue on the cap. Winter Sky is very well named, it's a chilly frosty blue. My sample was also very bubbly, but in this case that didn't matter, as the tiny trapped bubbles just add sparkle to the background.

13. Jellyfish is Momka purple thunder, backing is crystal blue. This one got pulled out a bit too much and had to be recondensed, so is all a bit squished. It should have had a larger cap. There's some purple in the cap, while the tentacles are that silver glass caramelly beige colour with hints of pink here and there. The crystal blue is a very pale blue, but still has enough presence not to look like clear. It was also a bit bubbly and I've got some silvery schmutz on the back - overheated or reduced. Again, in this application that doesn't matter so much as it adds some sparkle when viewed from the front.

(None of the colours changed in the kiln).

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-02, 6:19am

Beautiful Jellies!!! keep them coming!

Old 2013-10-04, 7:07am
Marble Lover

Anyone else having withdrawals? I mean, it's been like a whole TWO DAYS since we saw a new Jelly. Feels like an eternity.

Getting the shakes?
Acting irritable towards your family and coworkers?
Having trouble sleeping at night?

Me, too. All I need are some pics of new Jellies and I'll be fine. I promise.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeez?

On a slight side note, after I make 15 or so Tree Ornaments, I'm going to try my first real Boro item and I'm going to try a Jelly. The only reason I can do that is because of all the great information sharing in this thread. Thanks, folks.

-BEP
Old 2013-10-04, 11:42am

I took some pictures from 2 weeks ago when I did jellies. Both pendants and earrings. Last weeks I did spacer boro beads for earrings. This week is eyes.
Next week I switch back to soft for 4 weeks. Then I do assembly for 2 weeks. Then 4 weeks in a row of shows. I usually don't photograph any of my work until it is ready to be sold. I attach sterling silver bails on all my work. Some will get leather cords with sterling silver findings.
But here....

Old 2013-10-04, 12:02pm

Wow! That's a *lot* of jellyfish!

I rather like the red-backed ones

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-04, 1:59pm

Wow Dasi, those are excellent! Price 'em high....
Old 2013-10-05, 6:35am
Flamewoman

Beautiful Heather, thanks for sharing. I feel better now too.
I have been really busy, but have not had time to photo anything,
sorry. Your work schedule Heather reminds me of my own, but
you must make hay while the moon is full. This is my busy time
of year for sure. Have a 2 day show this weekend, actually
I have to get off this computer and go, and then next weekend,
another 2 day and then a one day after that. then I have a month
to get ready and then my biggest show a 3 day the three days after
thanksgiving and then done. I get gallery orders almost weekly now,
so that goes on and on, but getting sort of tired and need to slow down some.
When I was in Arcada this summer, I met a guy who was a judge at the
Eugene Glass School Show, and he told me my prices were too low.
So hard to price things, I try to go for $1 a min of making time, and a little
more for pendants that turn out reallly well, but always a challenge to price.
Have a great weekend everyone, what ever you do!

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2013-10-05 at 6:38am.
Old 2013-10-05, 9:19am

I charge $36 for a jellyfish. Does that sound to high or low? they take about 30 minutes each and I use a few dollars of sterling with each one. What do you all think?