What size tank?

How many torch hours does it last you?

Which torch are you working on?

Thanks,

Candace

Minor
Old 2009-12-14, 5:44pm

Marking to read later

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-14, 6:29pm
Harold Williams Cooney

O2 usage will fluctuate depending on what kind of work you are doing.

My rules of thumb (i work a lot, i work boro) i use for budgeting purposes:

1 liquid can = one month / one person (180 hours flamework)
1 "K" tank = 1 day / one person (9 hours flamework)
1 "T" tank = 1.5 days / one person (13 hours flamework)

if you are conservivitive:

1 liquid can = 6 weeks / one person (270 hours flamework)
1 "K" tank = 2 day / one person (18 hours flamework)
1 "T" tank = 3 days / one person (26 hours flamework)

many, many, many people view the efficient consumption of tank o2 an enjoyable art form; plan, preserve and pause are your key phrases in this physiology.

good luck

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-12-14, 6:34pm

Thanks. This is very helpful information.

Minor
Old 2009-12-14, 6:40pm

HWC, what size does the liquid oxygen tanks come in? Or what is the best size for a home studio for 1 person working boro and soft glass?

Minor
Old 2009-12-14, 6:45pm
Harold Williams Cooney

see your other post. most times you can not pick a size; take what you get.

try it and see if it is for you. cost you a couple hundred bucks, not bad for such a potentially positive experiment.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-12-15, 9:48am

Thanks.

Minor
Old 2009-12-15, 11:04am
Lampworker

i go by 100# = 1 hour of work on a lynx

so a 2300# k tank will get you about 23hours of work time.

there are about 16 k tanks in a liquid, most places wont deliver liquid to a residential place. they vent (loudly) if not used enough. they are much more efficent than k tanks. and i have seen them even drip liquid if the valve freezes, it can loosen the valve causing a small liquid drip, if this drip hits petrolium products (gas, oil, asphalt) it can cause an explosion, havent seen it yet, but it can happen.

here liquid tanks must be 50 ft from propane tank and contained in an solid concrete containment unit (cost me about 10k$ to build to code)

most concentrators will run a lynx, put the outerfire on the tank and you will have a great setup.
Old 2009-12-15, 11:24am

Thank you, oldschool tofu. Could you please explain what you mean by putting the outerfire on the tank.

Thanks,

C

Minor
Old 2009-12-15, 11:44am
"Sinners have soul too"

If you have a torch with an inner fire and an outer fire (like the Barracuda), you can hook up a concentrator to run the inner (center) fire, and an oxy tank to run the outer fire.

Old 2009-12-15, 11:55am

So I am looking to upgrade to a cricket. Would it be in my best interest to just save enough up for an oxy con? Would that ultimately, long term be the best investment. I already know that I am going to be doing this for a long time lol so when I upgrade, I don't want to have to do it two or three times in a short period of time. I am willing to wait a bit longer and save up enough to buy the oxycon if its a good investment.

Old 2009-12-15, 2:17pm

Duh!! I do remember that being explained before. I'm a smaller torch kinda girl. Thanks, Donna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
If you have a torch with an inner fire and an outer fire (like the Barracuda), you can hook up a concentrator to run the inner (center) fire, and an oxy tank to run the outer fire.

Minor
Old 2009-12-15, 2:47pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I wish I would have known you were interested in that... I would have shown you my Barracuda. It has a foot pedal to work the outer fire and everything.
I love my torch

Old 2009-12-16, 5:25am

If you can get liquid 02 and set it up right, oldschooltofu has a good point about it being more cost effective. I used K-cylinders for years because it was the biggest tank I could manage (no industrial gas delivery to residential areas where I was living at the time). On a minor, I got more than the 23 hours on a K-cylinder he notes, but I don't set my minor particularly high and I think it uses somewhat less 02 than a lynx. If you have a cricket, a tank might last longer, given the efficiency the cricket appears to have.

A minor runs nicely on an M-15/EX-15 sized concentrator. Runs ok on an M-10/EX-10 sized concentrator. Not so much fun on a smaller concentrator. The cricket, however, was designed for the smaller concentrators and members here have posted that it works very nicely with that level of 02.

Linda
Old 2009-12-18, 5:08am

Thanks, Linda.

Donna, perhaps if I'm in your neck of the woods again, I'll check out your Cuda. Thanks.

Minor