Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-04, 7:34am

Default Stainless Steel Chopsticks - uses?

Well, I am having a senior moment. I purchased stainless steel chopsticks and now I can't remember why I wanted them. Help me out here please.

What do you use them for? Thanks!!

JoAnn
Old 2007-10-04, 7:36am
I'm meeeeelting

Punties?

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-04, 7:41am
Ellyloo-YAH!

i've seen them used for making twisties adn stringer.

Where does one get stainless steel chopsticks, btw?

Last edited by ellyloo; 2007-10-04 at 7:46am.
Old 2007-10-04, 7:44am
Ad astra per aspera

Punties for fast use, and most definitely for pulling stringer and twisties.

Old 2007-10-04, 8:20am
Button Queen

I got mine off eBay. I can't find the seller I bought from, but he always had some out there. I just kept putting in a minimum bid and finally won one auction when no one else outbid me.
Old 2007-10-04, 9:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
i've seen them used for making twisties adn stringer.

Where does one get stainless steel chopsticks, btw?
I got the stainless steel Korean flat sided chopsticks at Glasscraft, Inc for $3.00. I happened across them when I was ordering the 3/16" mandrels for Pandora style beads.

Thanks, all! Now I have to find the stringer tut for the chopsticks.

JoAnn
Old 2007-10-04, 9:28am
maybe tomorrow

I use ones I'd gotten from Val Cox a long time ago, and I love them! She put flexible clear tubing over the handles to make them thicker and easier to grip, so they're really easy to hold on to when I make twisties.

Old 2007-10-04, 10:10am

I have some from Val also and I love them.
Old 2007-10-04, 10:17am
Corgi Cult Member

Pulling stringer is to easy with chopsticks! Get a ball of hot glass on the end of a rod, lightly heat up the end of the chopstick, push it slightly into the hot glass and pull. I find it easier to control the stringer thickness with chopsticks than anything else. Kate Fowle handed them out in the class I took with her.

Old 2007-10-04, 12:01pm
birdergirl ~o~

I think I got mine from Heritage gls. and I use them more than any other tool , for punties, stringer twisites ( which I still suk at ) and for shaping ( espec the ends~ also suk at that!) But it's not their fault!!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-10-04, 2:08pm
><>

They are about 1 or 2 bucks a pair at the Asian food store near here.
They have a big grab bin full of them near the other utensils.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2007-10-06, 1:18am

Talking hot chopsticks

I am on my third or fourth pair of Stainless Steel chopsticks, which are indeed terrific for pulling stringers and twisties.

But, a word of warning, because they are hollow, they eventually burn through, and a little bit of water gets in, ( I quench mine in a mug of water) When the water heats up inside, they start vibrating. very odd sensation. Even odder when the steam bursts out from the hole when you don't expect it.

Now I know to buy in bulk, 5 sets for $15 around here , and keep an eye oout for holes in the end or feeling that strange vibration. Time to bin them.

KMD
Old 2007-10-06, 4:36am
<--- Time traveler

Check Glass has the chopsticks, too. I like them because the handles are a little easier to deal with if you're doing a long pull and your hands are sweaty.
Old 2007-10-06, 8:20am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd View Post
I am on my third or fourth pair of Stainless Steel chopsticks, which are indeed terrific for pulling stringers and twisties.

But, a word of warning, because they are hollow, they eventually burn through, and a little bit of water gets in, ( I quench mine in a mug of water) When the water heats up inside, they start vibrating. very odd sensation. Even odder when the steam bursts out from the hole when you don't expect it.

Now I know to buy in bulk, 5 sets for $15 around here , and keep an eye oout for holes in the end or feeling that strange vibration. Time to bin them.

KMD
The one's I got from Val are solid. They're fairly heavy.

heh...I found my confirmation email from her when I got them. I've apparently been using them for 4 years. I use them regularly, and other than the melted rubber spot on one of the handles where I sat a hot rod on them, they're still going strong.

Old 2007-10-06, 11:37am
Martyrs don't bitch.

What are the benefits of using these over say a 1/8 mandrel?

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2007-10-06, 12:40pm

I usually get mine from this eBay seller
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-PAIRS-JAPANESE...QQcmdZViewItem
He also has the solid, flat ones which are good for pulling flat canes. Prices are good, shipping really fast.

Old 2007-10-07, 7:19am

I got mine from Val way back when. I used it for making a rod out of some of the larger chunks of frit. Heat the chop stick red hot put it on a chunk of glass, put it back into the flame and repeat untill you have enough to pull a stringer or thin rod. It worked great for all of us who ordered glass rods from Olympic before they started there line of lampwork rods. What we got were rods that were ment for glass blowing about 4 inches thich and two feet long. I still have some of those if anyone is interested
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut