Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-28, 1:23pm

Question Oxy Con or Oxy Gen?

Which is better an Oxygen Concentrator or an Oxygen Generator??? I currently have a Nortel minor that I'll eventually grow out of but I want a Oxy con or gen that can allow me to move up to a bigger torch. So any suggestions on where and what I should get? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

# M 114
Old 2008-01-28, 1:56pm
da General

I think that depends on what you consider a "bigger" torch. I got a Hurricane and it's LOUD so I am trading it in for two M15s to power my Barracuda.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-01-28, 2:05pm

It depends on how 'up' you plan to trade your torch. Also on how much money you want to spend. Oxygen generators tend to be much more expensive than concentrators.

Robert
Old 2008-01-28, 2:21pm

Eventually I'd like to get the phantom. So I think the M15 might work for me.

# M 114
Old 2008-01-28, 2:46pm

I'm running a phantom. I use a OG 15 for the center fire and tank for the outer. With Booster on natural gas.

The OG-15 is way under powered. GTT recommends 10 pounds of gas to 36 pounds of o2 for their large torches. Now the phantom is the smallest of their two stage torches so you can lower those numbers a bit.

I run my phantom at 10 pounds of Natural gas for both center fire and outer.
the center fires oxygen from the OG-15 is 6 to 7 Lpm at around 9 to 11 psi. I would prefer at least 10 to 15 lpm at 20 psi. The outer fires o2 is set around 25 psi. And if I had to guess, I would say I'm running around 85% but still very hot.

Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-01-28, 3:23pm

Scott - which booster are you running for your Phantom? I don't plan to abandon tanked O2 for mine, but a shift to NG is attractive if it's not too pricey.

Robert
Old 2008-01-28, 4:04pm

Robert,
I'm using the G-tec 15. http://www.gas-tec.com/products_tb30.html The cost is around $1000.00 I think the G-tec-30 is around $1500.00. I wish I would have bought the 30 . The 15 is a little under powered. If I don't watch the gauges this torch will suck the gas out to fast and shut down the booster. But all in all it works great. But the 15 would not support any larger torch.

Its amazing how much hotter the torch is on boosted NG. Worth every hard spent cent.

Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-01-28 at 4:25pm.
Old 2008-01-29, 6:57am

Thanks. I've been considering the move, but $1500 is a lot of cash these days. I appreciate your assessment.
Robert
Old 2008-01-29, 7:18am

Scott , that is great to know about the booster. I have been using natural gas since the beginning, with minor burner, and 2 concentrators. Works great. But standard household presure does limit the torchs you can select from. Very nice to know that you are pleased with the booster.

Old 2008-01-29, 2:02pm

Ellen, I've always loved your marbles. Too say I'm a little envious is an understatement. But it really blows me away to find out what your working with. How big are your marbles? you must be one patient woman.

The Boosters are expensive. But I had no chose. I live and work in a commercial building with public access all around. So it was impossible to locate the propane outside. So for safety and fire codes I had to bite the bullet. Now I could not live with out it.
Scott

ESTY