No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-04-21, 5:35am

Default Propane Piped inside info needed

Hi,

I am setting up a new studio in an old kitchen. There is plenty of Ventilation and an existing line for propane already there.

My question is this;
How many torches can be set up on this one line?

I read the thread below on the regulator and the shut off. I guess the tank will not be that far away and I don't usually have to play with the pressure once I get started.

I do however want to set up more than one torch for classes. Can it be done?
Old 2009-04-21, 5:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by swschoell View Post
Hi,

I am setting up a new studio in an old kitchen. There is plenty of Ventilation and an existing line for propane already there.

My question is this;
How many torches can be set up on this one line?

I read the thread below on the regulator and the shut off. I guess the tank will not be that far away and I don't usually have to play with the pressure once I get started.

I do however want to set up more than one torch for classes. Can it be done?
There are a lot of unknowns in what you've written.

First of all, you say that there is an existing propane line in the kitchen. Does it connect to an outside large (household size, 500 gallon) tank? Are there other appliances, such as a gas dryer, hot water heater, furnace attached to it?

If the answer is yes, then your propane pressure is about 1/3 to 1/2 PSI, and that's not a whole lot to be running large flames on. Typically, a torch requires about 5 PSI of propane and you will be running 1/10th of that amount.

If the answer is no, be sure to trace the propane line throughout the house to ensure that there are no other "appliances" attached to it. There may be a low pressure regulator on the outside of the house, this will have to be removed, as it regulates the household pressure to the 1/3 to 1/2 PSI I mentioned above.

Next, you mention that you have plenty of ventilation. What do you mean by that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

: LE2009
Old 2009-04-21, 6:54am
Gentleman of Leisure

Ahem.... There are a lot of torches that will work on "household propane pressure" 1/4 to 1/3 psi....

Nortel Minor, National 8M, GTT Cricket and Bobcat to name a few....

As Ed says... Need more information...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-04-21, 7:40am

I'll let Mike and Dale address details, but I can offer a simple component I added when I ran my propane line. It's run through the wall to a BBQ size tank outside, and although I wouldn't keep a tank in the house I didn't like the idea of being unable to shut it off instantly. I had a valve installed at the bend, which is at arm's length from my workspace.
Old 2009-04-21, 8:14am

This sounds like a old house that you are remodeling for a studio. Angelique and I are looking at that. We can get a little old 700 sq foot 2BR, LR, Kitchen, and bath delivered to where we will build for about $12,000. This has basic heat and AC and plumbing. I would probably run a dedicated propane line into the glass room.

You will probably want to switch out the regulator on the propane tank. Most have a very low pressure one that is like 1/2 psi like mentioned above since that is all most appliances need. I think you can get 5psi or 10psi fixed regulators. I think the max you can have it entering the building is 20psi per fire code. Check on that. Also check and see if this would cause problems if there are other things on the propane line.

The fire code requires a cutoff on the inside and outside of the wall. I think I would also like a cutoff close to the bench if it is very far from the entry point. You will probably want to have an in line regulator inside the building to adjust the pressure more. I would take this opportunity to look at putting a separate in line regulator for each torching station if you are using large torches to prevent them from messing up the flames on the other torches as they are turned on and off. I have to warn my wife when I am about the hit the foot peddle on my Mirage because the outer ring pulls a lot of propane from the line and drops he flame down till it can catch up.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-04-21, 9:49am

Okay, Let me see if I can add more detail.

The studio will be in what was once an old restaurant kitchen. It has been gutted with no other appliances in the room. There are no other appliances on the line.
There is no tank set up outside so I will need to contact a new dealer. So other than the line into the building I am starting new.
There are two areas now one with fan for ventilation, I will need to add another fan to other vent. There are two windows 15' away for fresh air coming in.

I think that I have cleared up the unknowns.
Thanks
Stacy
Old 2009-04-22, 5:40am

That sounds pretty good Stacy.

One comment I'll make about the propane tank: If you go with a big 500 gallon tank, the propane company is going to be very reluctant to outright refusal to run the line pressure any higher than the 1/4 to 1/3 PSI normal for appliances.

If all you are going to do is run torches off propane (ie no furnace/hot water heater etc), then I'd suggest that you supply your own 20# propane tank and either do the necessary plumbing yourself, or have it done by a licensed fuel gas plumber. Depending on how many torches will be running and how large they are, you don't need a huge household tank. That would probably last you over a year but could run $1,000 depending on the cost of bulk propane in your area and how big the tank is.

Good luck!

: LE2009
Old 2009-04-22, 6:52am
Gentleman of Leisure

A 100 gallon or may be a 250 might be more practical IF you want large volume of fuel available and don't want to have to fill it up weekly from running multiple torches...

Check local pricing of propane and installation policies... When I had my new residential service put in the tank was "free" and the per gallon pricing was as much as $0.30 differences per gallon depending on which vendor I chose to go with. Also keep in mind propane pricing changes with the economy and the season.......

By running a 2 psi or 5 psi regulator at tank it would satisfy most torches you may choose to use, and if studio is going to be a professional/teaching studio it would probably be best to have plumbing professionally done to NFPA codes. Especially the indoor manifolds that are necessary to support multiple torches.

The concept of having a 10 psi primary regulator at tank and putting secondary adjustable regulators at each "station" increases cost of each station by cost of additional piping and cost of regulator but allows users at a single station to change torch pressures to suit their own desires and pretty much eliminates the "bump" in propane pressure at other stations (momentary surge) if a user makes sudden changes or turns off propane at their station....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-04-22 at 7:00am.