Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2016-07-22, 3:18pm

Question torch and tank issue

Hi, ok so I am in a quandry, my torch is hooked up to a propane tank . I have a studio in the back of my home and the tank sits right outsid on my deck close to my torch. When I turn on my torch this smoke color stuff comes out I am new at the whole propane thing but have used it this way for a year..Is it the heat thats doing that I cant even use it because the flame is outragous. I went and got s new tank a new hose and boom it worked for a couple days and then we went on vacation for a week and when I opened it up here comes this white smokey loke stuff...can anyone tell me what to do. if this is a stupid question sorry Im still learning about the whole gass thing. ps I live in Illinois and its been hot here. thanks help
Old 2016-07-22, 11:34pm

I have never seen this, but from what you have written, it seems that you are using a Hot Head. One thing you might try is disconnecting the hose from the tank and from your torch, and then hanging the hose by one end. This might drain any oily residue, which I understand comes from the chemical added to give the gas an odor to warn you of its presence in case of a leak.

Also, with the heat, your pressure might be higher than ideal, so you might try putting a regulator in the gas line. Maybe something like this
https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/pr...tor-1-100-psi/
Depending on the hose you are using, you might be able to unscrew the fittings (torch adapter or cylinder adapter) and if this is the case, you probably will also need a coupling. It might be easier just to get another hose without any fittings (but with pipe thread and flare adapters on the ends). You don't really need a gauge to monitor the propane pressure. Just start at the highest pressure and keep turning down the regulator until you get a usable flame.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2016-07-22 at 11:55pm.
Old 2016-07-23, 2:10pm

Smile thanks

thanks, We did open the hot head up to burn off some of the pressure it worked that way but it keeps building up the humidity is 88% today. I did get a new hose and a new Hot Head torch and it worked great for a couple days and I left it for over a week and it started spewing a smoke like substance, ill try the regulater. Thanks I sure hope yhis stops or im going to have to go back to Matt and god forbid.

thanks so much for your advice
Old 2016-07-23, 8:49pm

Yes, but also drain the hose. The liquid does not always all blow out through the torch. In fact, sometimes torches get clogged up and don't work reliably.

Just a guess, but when you are using the torch and gas is flowing, the liquid gets deposited along the length of the hose, but when the torch is left idle for a while, then the liquid can run to the lowest point and form a pool. Then when the torch is used again, it all blows out at once. Again, this is not a verified fact, but a guess of what might be happening.
Old 2016-08-02, 4:10am

Hi. We did all of this and it seems to be only happening when its high humidity and 80s I get up in the AM and its cool out and its fine. I have never delt with this before. Maybe its a dirty tank. I plan to get a new one...thanks for all your responses