Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-11-06, 11:54am
ALWAYS SMILES

Default Do you stand or sit to torch?

Hey all ,
My sis came to visit last week and was shocked to see that I prefer to stand while torching....she sits.....this got me thinking, am I the only person that does this? Is it unusual ? My sessions are usually about 3 hours with a short break in the middle.....but yeah.....I totally stand the whole time. Do you ??
K
Old 2012-11-06, 12:19pm
Marble Lover

If I were building a nice torching area, I'd make it where I could choose to do either and try to stand as much as I can. As is with my ghetto setup in the garage, I am sitting.

-BEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayo222 View Post
I totally stand the whole time. Do you ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-06, 1:13pm

I sit....I never even considered standing. My back goes crazy sometimes when I sit....I can imagine how it would feel if I stand and my torch is at the same level

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-11-06, 1:14pm
randomly active member

I sit on my big cushy drafting chair. I'm too old to stand in one place for that long without my back killing me for the next 2 days.
.:.

Old 2012-11-06, 1:47pm
ALWAYS SMILES

Okay.....interesting......the comments above about the back being happier while sitting is actually why I choose to stand. My back is happier standing I may look into the arm rest helper though ! Thanks for the comments ....
Old 2012-11-06, 2:04pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

About 2 weeks ago, I had a very bad back pain that kept me from sitting. Like at all!
I had to work standing.... it was ok but I have more stringer control when I sit.

I prefer to sit!

Old 2012-11-06, 4:04pm

I sit - never thought about standing but I'm going to have to try it- do my computer work standing because my back also prefers to have me stand.

Georgia
Old 2012-11-06, 4:30pm
Salt Box Beads

I do both but I prefer to stand. That way I can groove to the music.
Old 2012-11-06, 4:34pm

I started out standing because the only bench I had available was a high one.

now I have a desk and chair, because standing limited how long I could work for and was not as steady for detailed work.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2012-11-06, 4:37pm
Loving learning

Both. Mostly I sit, but sometimes I just feel the need to stand, and I also seem to do better if I stand when making twisties.
My work surface is kitchen counter height (more or less) so good for standing, and I have a chair that will go up far enough to get me to the right height if I'm sitting.
Old 2012-11-06, 4:51pm

I stand 95% of the time. My bench is tall and I have a stool, but I really prefer standing. I have arm rests that I use when I am doing details. I feel very constrained when I sit.

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2012-11-06, 5:20pm
Melody of Glass

I sit on a comfy leather desk chair. Went with leather in order to not burn the furniture! I think the ideal config is probably the one at the studio where I learned. She has high tables with high stools. Sitting or standing works.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-06, 8:53pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

My bench is high enough that standiing is very comfortable but when I want to sit Ihave a tractor seat stool that is high enough to keep the same position.
Old 2012-11-07, 5:16am
Evil Glass Enabler

We have the option of both with our bench. I tend to prefer to sit unless it's something with a cold punty. Then I'll stand, thank you very much! Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-11-07, 5:54am
ALWAYS SMILES

Ok that's it.....I think I will give sitting a try ! I have a high bench, as well, but I have a bar stool that would be the right height.....and just moved my kiln within arms reach of the torch.....enough of you said 'both' or total 'sit' that I need to investigate
Old 2012-11-07, 11:17am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I have observed that bead makers usually sit; probably due to the need for steady hands and close in work such as dots. On the other hand most marble, pipe and larger piece boro workers tend to stand at least part of the time during a piece.
Old 2012-11-07, 5:42pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I stand, for everything, and the bench heights in the studio are set up accordingly. I brought a metal shop stool out to the shedio so I can practice sitting for when I have my foot surgery in January, and I *hate* it - I now understand why everyone needs arm rests! The angles are ALL wrong.

L-111

Old 2012-11-08, 12:29am
Artistically Absorbed

Backless stool...I couldn't imagine standing. Well I take that back I would only stand if I was working on a cane so big that I am scared it might fall or shatter. I use my arm rests to steady my elbows otherwise 6" off the table.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-11-08, 5:18am
Evil Glass Enabler

Funny you should mention that. That "cold punty" with the piece in the lap bit is why I stand for those. I learned in my very first class with them that it was a GREAT idea to stand. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I have observed that bead makers usually sit; probably due to the need for steady hands and close in work such as dots. On the other hand most marble, pipe and larger piece boro workers tend to stand at least part of the time during a piece.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-11-08, 8:54am

My bench is a high one, but I prefer to sit; my studio is in the basement and the concrete floor does nasty things to my legs and back if I stand on it for too long. Dad got me a laboratory-grade office chair for my birthday a few years ago which is very nice--comfy, flame resistant and treated so that it doesn't grow microscopic cooties, either. I also wear a denim jacket and a heavy denim apron (available at hardware stores) to protect my lap from falling marbles. Works well!
Old 2012-11-08, 8:59am
"Sinners have soul too"

I sit when I work soft glass beads, mainly because I do a lot of stringer work. I stand when I make marbles and/or work boro.

Old 2012-11-08, 9:44am
Beadmaking.nl

I sit and I have special chairs. It is better for your legs and back. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352393057.229887.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  5.7 KB

Old 2012-11-08, 1:59pm
"Sinners have soul too"

That is a great chair!

Old 2012-11-09, 6:09am
ALWAYS SMILES

What Zen-mom said !! A chair that fits like a glove....very cool, I may have to google this one!
Old 2012-11-11, 7:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrieten View Post
I sit and I have special chairs. It is better for your legs and back. Attachment 131188
the stool you use looks very much like an english saddle! My work space is set up so I can stand or sit. I use an old drafting chair that is on wheels and the foot rest ring is adjusted so I don't have as much pressure on the back of my legs. The wheels are handy if I need to get up quickly or I can zing myself over to the glass rack and back, grab the phone, etc. I also have arm rests that are attached to the bench. Since I was laid off on Friday, I'll have some time to make some rice/pellet bags to adjust my arms when necessary. I also have a tv on a wall mount that is about 5 feet away so I have something in the distance to focus on to reduce eye strain.

Kirsti
Old 2012-11-12, 12:22pm
specializing in obnoxious

Both for me too. I work on a welding table and have a backless stool. If I need to scramble, I can slip right off the back of the stool, but as someone else said, I feel too constrained sitting all the time. I cannot imagine tryine to pull a long twisty or cane while sitting. I think I focus better while I am standing as well.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2012-11-13, 5:06pm
sorcerer

and consider that bowel cancer is higher amongst those who sit all day than those who stand at their work.

Old 2012-11-16, 8:08pm

I have a Barley Box on a workbench with the Creation Station armrests, and my chair is somewhat low. I can't imagine standing especially for stringers.

Judy
Old 2012-11-16, 9:22pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I sit..after 20+ years of standing on concrete floors, my back can't take it. I have an office chair on wheels so I can move over to the kiln or back up if I need room to pull a long stringer or murrini.
I can also pop out of that chair pretty fast if I need to!
My arms are relaxed at my sides...no station or arm rests. I think it all depends on the ergonomics of your setup.

Old 2012-12-03, 12:33pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I have a drafting chair on wheels and a high bench so I can sit or stand to work.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f