Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-07, 7:15am

Red face uneven beads

hey everyone! I am pretty new to all this, and I have a lot of questions. Most of my questions can be answers by just practicing, but the one question I have right now is getting an even bead. I rotate my bead slow and even in the heat, but somehow one side always turns out wider and fatter than the other. It is not a huge differnce, but I know I am doing something wrong. I think it has something to do with my application. help please?
I have not taken any classes bc there are none available in my area. I have been doing a lot of research and watching videos on youtube.
Old 2014-04-07, 7:34am

add a "dot" or blob to the smaller side and work it in nice and slow.
Old 2014-04-07, 7:53am

You may be holding your mandrel at an angle even though you think you're holding it straight. Try placing a small mirror somewhere on one side or another so you can see your hand from a different view.

Could also be things like heating one end more or tipping the mandrel while the glass is still molten.
Old 2014-04-07, 7:54am

I will try that. thank you!
I have tried adding to it, but I may not have added enough or maybe to much. lol I was just thinking I was doing something wrong? I have only been making beads for a couple weeks, so I will play with it some more.
Thanks so much for your help!
Old 2014-04-07, 7:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonst View Post
You may be holding your mandrel at an angle even though you think you're holding it straight. Try placing a small mirror somewhere on one side or another so you can see your hand from a different view.

Could also be things like heating one end more or tipping the mandrel while the glass is still molten.
thanks I haven't thought of that i will rig something up!
Old 2014-04-07, 8:24am
one day at a time

You are probably not getting an even footprint, which is the initial touch and wind of the glass on the mandrel. Since you are new to this, I think you really need this video. Start with volume 1 and believe me, it is worth the $45.00. Jim Smircich teaches the basic round bead and how to get it even with nice holes, and will also teach how to make the long tapered beads too.

http://www.artcoinc.com/smircich.php
Old 2014-04-07, 8:43am
one day at a time

I looked, and could not find any videos on YouTube that show or describe how to lay the initial wrap (footprint) on the mandrel. So your best choice is to buy Jim Smircich's video. If money is an issue, then you should know this - when you are done learning from the video and you don't need it anymore, you can always sell it here in the Garage Sale section of the forum, for very close to what you paid for it. Another newbie will snatch it right up.
Old 2014-04-07, 9:05am
Must..have..more...glass

I think Heather Trimlett covers the basic footprint in her Foundations tutorial: http://heathertrimlett.bigcartel.com...ation-tutorial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-04-07, 9:13am
Senior Moment

Hiya Rhonda & welcome

In addition to all the great info above, another thing to consider is what glass are you using? Soft? Boro? And if you are using soft, what color? Certain colors, like Ivory and White melt quickly, making it easy to lose control over them. Transparents are a bit stiffer and are a bit easier to work with initially.

And since you are new to the torch, one other thing may be your flame temperature. If your running your torch really hot things tend to get runny, making it even easier for the glass on the mandrel to fall to the side if you tilt even a teensy bit.

HTH!
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-04-07, 10:20am
Sucks at being nice

Take your bead out of the heat while it is still hot and keep rotating your mandrel until the bead firms up. It is very difficult to round out a bead in the direct heat.

Old 2014-04-07, 11:38am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Fire View Post
I think Heather Trimlett covers the basic footprint in her Foundations tutorial: http://heathertrimlett.bigcartel.com...ation-tutorial.
I wasn't even aware of this one, and it will definitely address the footprint issue. For only $12.00, this will get you well on your way to making better shaped beads and there will be less frustration while you are learning how to do so.

I still recommend buying Jim's DVDs sometime in your future. They are some of the most amazing videos out there, and this is essential for new lampworkers who may not have access to taking classes.
Old 2014-04-07, 5:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
Take your bead out of the heat while it is still hot and keep rotating your mandrel until the bead firms up. It is very difficult to round out a bead in the direct heat.
I have been playing all afternoon with it and I figured that out. lol if only I had gotten back on here sooner. I will work on my footprint, but for now I know how to fix my mistake.
Thank You!
Old 2014-04-07, 5:46pm

Thank you everyone for your help.
I am using a soft glass, and I think I am not getting enough gather to start my footprint.
It will take some practice, and I am sure it will come to me.
I am also going to look for those videos too. I know they will help.
I am using a torch that came with my kit. lol i plan on getting a better torch once I get a little better. I want to Thank Everyone! Thank you Thank you! Thank you!
Old 2014-04-07, 5:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I wasn't even aware of this one, and it will definitely address the footprint issue. For only $12.00, this will get you well on your way to making better shaped beads and there will be less frustration while you are learning how to do so.

I still recommend buying Jim's DVDs sometime in your future. They are some of the most amazing videos out there, and this is essential for new lampworkers who may not have access to taking classes.
Thank you so much!
Old 2014-04-07, 8:55pm

When I first started lampworking, all my beads were bigger on one end. I was not holding the mandrel level. I was tilting the mandrel to the left. I took an old mirror and drew a straight line and would use this as a guide. It helped me a lot. I don't use the mirror anymore.
Penny
Old 2014-04-07, 9:41pm
I'm meeeeelting

You may not be spinning as evenly as you think. Also, make sure you're keeping your mandrel out of the flame. Glass wants to be round. If you have just under 1/2 in the flame as you heat only one side at a time as you spin slowly and evenly it will round up from all angles. Then come out of the flame and keep spinning slowly and evenly while it cools.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-04-07, 10:41pm
Slogan Challenged...

Always happened to me,...you can try to pinch the sides up into a disc and remelt, if you have enough glass.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-08, 4:18am

The dreaded "ppp" (practice practice practice) WILL help but there is another possibility. If you are not turning/twirling your mandrel smoothly, there is a split second hitch in your turning that the molten glass will continue to move, aka sag. Hence, your marble seems to never round out. Jim Smirchich is a genius and has a way of helping you smooth out your turns. He filed a corner off his graphite marver and put an indent into it. Here are a couple of pictures of how it works out:

I have very shaky hands. I always have. This helps steady my hands and allows my beads the time to round out nicely.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-04-08, 11:06am
one day at a time

I don't make a bead without it. You can use the paddle with the hole in it like the one above, or you could buy a Smircich Tail Stock Holder for $8.50. Here is where you can get one:

https://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html
Old 2014-04-08, 7:59pm
I'm meeeeelting

Or you can buy a smircich marver. I prefer it to the tail stock holder, because you don't have to keep switching tools.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-04-08, 11:12pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
Or you can buy a smircich marver. I prefer it to the tail stock holder, because you don't have to keep switching tools.

Yes, that's what I use too.
Would be lost without it!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-04-09, 12:08am

I have the marver but sometimes when I can't lay my hand right on it, I use a rod. I'm pretty good about being sure that there is no sharp pointy ends from pulling away too fast, but I always seem to have rods of glass with just a little 90 degree tip on them that are just the ticket for balancing the mandrel on for an even spin.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2014-04-09, 6:37am
Sucks at being nice

I'm glad you figured it out Rhonda. Now you are on your way to bigger and better problems! lol The challenge of melting glass is there is always one more thing you want to learn.