No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-07-30, 4:59pm
lurking on LE since 2005

Default tanked oxygen. this may be a stupid question

I am now using tanked oxygen and my regulator hisses. It seems to be coming from behind the gauges, not from any attachment. Is this normal? I have had a concentrator almost exclusively for 14 years, so this (while I like it much better) seems weird.
?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2015-07-30, 5:16pm
I fart diamonds

A little confused by what you mean. Is it a constant hiss, like a leak? Or does it only do it at certain times?

(Mine "squeals" sometimes, but stops if I adjust the pressure.)

Old 2015-07-30, 5:19pm
lurking on LE since 2005

it's pretty much a constant hiss once I turn on the torch oxygen, I can't detect any leaks, but I'm concerned that this is not good. at least it's not the propane...

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2015-07-30, 5:29pm
Phill

I know that oxygen tanks will leak around the valve stem unless they are either all the way open or all the way closed.
If you just open the tank part way you will leak out the whole tank through this valve stem and waste a full tank without knowing it.

As for the regulator how old is it or has it been cranked too far in perhaps?

They do have inner rubber parts I think so they do need to be rebuilt after some dozen years or something but they usually go bad in a more pronounced manner unless they have been dropped or banged around meaning that they stop working instead of just going slightly bad.

Nothing on the bubble test leaves me stumped.
Old 2015-07-30, 6:23pm

In order for there to be seal between the regulator and the tank the face of the regulator connection stem on the oxygen tank (the threaded part that goes into the regulator nut) and the inside face of the regulator nut have to be free of nicks and debri. If the nut and regulator connection don't mate (perhaps because the nut isn't tight enough or there's debri in the threads preventing the two from coming together tightly) or there's a ding on the face of the regulator connection stem then you'll have a leak inside the connection between the tank and regulator. The regulator nut can also crack over time - something else to check.

There can also be leaks from the regulator pressure gauges, which are often taped in, or a leak at the flashback on the outlet side of the regulator ( you have a flashback arrestor on your regulator right?)

All of those leaks should show up with O2 safe leak test solution.

If it's not any of those problems it may be at the valve stem on the tank (either because it's not open all the way or because it's a bad valve stem) or inside the regulator.

In general, the regulator is a non serviceable item - far too dangerous to mess with on tanked O2 and not usually worth the cost to repair vs replacement cost.

If the regulator was fine on a previous O2 tank take it off check all of the above and try it again. If it's still a problem return the tank to the dealer explaining that you can't get a seal and they should give you another tank. If the problem occurs again ditch the regulator and get a new one from your local welding supply like a Harris or Victor.
Old 2015-07-30, 7:13pm
lurking on LE since 2005

I think I will check it with the tank all the way open, I tend to be conservative when I turn it on. I haven't really used the regulator much, so it's not worn out from use, but it's been around the studio for a while. I will try the suggestions, thanks very much!! oh, and yes, definitely have the flashback arrestor on.

J-55

Old 2015-07-30, 10:49pm
Phill

Aye and open all your tanks slowly.

I learned form a youtube channel called 'welding tips and tricks' that cranking open the tank valves quickly puts an unbelievable amount of stress on the regulator parts and you can actually wind up with explosions in the regulator.

You don't have to be afraid of it or 'dainty' with it but do remember that there is 3 thousand pounds of pressure in these tanks and harsh treatment can yield harsh results.
Old 2015-07-31, 8:00am
hyperT

Default Soapy Water

Turn it on and spray all around it with soapy water. If there are no bubbles forming anywhere its not a leak. If you get bubbles then there is. If it's not the gauges but the tank itself be sure to mark where the leak is for your ox company.

Have Fun, Wayne
Old 2015-07-31, 8:13am
lurking on LE since 2005

will do, thanks Wayne

J-55

Old 2015-08-01, 1:21pm

Some regulators DO make a slight hissing noise when oxygen is flowing and its normal. As long as there is no leak, its fine. My current Smith makes a very faint hissing noise.
Old 2015-08-01, 4:52pm
lurking on LE since 2005

That is good to hear

J-55

Old 2015-08-07, 1:50am
weird

Mine makes a slight hissing noise too. It's normal. Sometimes it's louder than others - sometimes due to a drop or rise in barometric pressure, other times due to the PSI setting vs how much pressure is left in the tank.
Old 2015-08-07, 1:05pm
lurking on LE since 2005

thanks-it still hisses, even if I crank the tank open. Just something to get used to I guess.

J-55