No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-07-15, 8:55am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Default Swizzle Sticks annealing question

Hi Bead peeps. I'd like to make some swizzle sticks for my friends housewarming and would like to create the tops in a marble marver. My problem is, the "sticks" get funky in the kiln. I don't want to glue the tops on, but is that my only option? Is there an anneal schedule that will keep the glass rods straight? Do little "marbles" need to be annealed or should i try just a fiberglass wrap after I make them. Has anyone done this?
Thanks
Cara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2015-07-15, 8:58am
Dark Flower Bead Art

something like this

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2015-07-15, 10:39am
Phill

I think the "bead-able" stuff has long handled cocktail stirrers kind of like the pens and letter openers that you can unscrew a cap and slide a beads the size of marbles onto.

As for swizzle sticks my only thought is Boro rods with marbles made on the ends.

Stainless steel should put up with annealing temperatures with minimal cleaning or pickling once it comes out of the kiln.

If what you are using puts up with having molten glass put on the end of it but it is losing its form in the kiln perhaps you can try dropping your annealing temp to 850 ( for soft glass) and extending you annealing 'soak' time by an hour or two.

I have heard of marble makers using sand or salt beds to prop up sculptural work to keep it from losing form during annealing but that is just something that I have heard.

ETA: Marbles that you make should be properly annealed to reduce the heating and cooling stress inside that glass even if they are small.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-07-15 at 10:42am.
Old 2015-07-15, 10:48am
Wonder-wench

what annealing schedule(s) have you tried already that resulted in stick deformation?

Yes, I think these should be annealed, especially considering that they may be used to stir both very cold and very hot drinks potentially.

Old 2015-07-15, 11:22am

Do you have the stuff to do something like this?

It would keep your (I'm assuming) clear rod straight and you wouldn't have to change your schedule. Otherwise, a stiffer transparent rod may work, but it may not. That's just a quick Paint thing, I would snug the end of the marble top as close as I could to the brick/furniture/whatever.

Old 2015-07-16, 3:25am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Thank you all for the reply. Im getting concerned about cracking and slumping so i may go with a beadable product. I appreciate all the heartfelt replies.
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2015-07-16, 9:57am
I fart diamonds

If your sticks are slumping, your temperature is too high. (I've made 100s of them) Beadables are much easier.

Last edited by shawnette; 2015-07-16 at 10:00am.
Old 2015-07-16, 10:13am

have you tried them in boro? maybe less chance of them slumping on you?