Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-20, 1:15am

Default Fun in February, Where?

I may be able to visit the USA between Jan 26 2008 and Feb 14 2008. Any hot tips for shows or classes I could attend?

kmd
Old 2007-12-20, 1:21am

What part of the USA will be visiting? Shows are going on all over the country so if you can give us an area of the country that you will be in we might be able to give you some suggestions
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2007-12-20, 2:41am

I will be flying in and out of San Francisco from Sydney, but have a strong urge to learn more and will travel. I have been making beads for 2 years and work on a Nortel Minor. I have worked mostly with Moretti glass but would love to learn more about Boro.
kMD
Old 2007-12-20, 10:24am

If you want to shop for beads the Tucson bead shows are during the time you will be in the US if you can make it to AZ!

http://www.colored-stone.com/tsg/show_index.cfm

Lots of great things to see there!

-Marie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

myBeadWiki - A growing knowledge base of all things bead

Old 2007-12-20, 10:25am

Oh some of the bead shows might have classes maybe one of these, from the link I gave you you can check out there websites for each show

The Best Bead Show
The Bead Renaissance Show
To Bead True Blue

myBeadWiki - A growing knowledge base of all things bead

Old 2007-12-20, 12:05pm
Sheryll

Also check out Public Glass - SSF and BAGI - in San Jose.

Wanted to add check out Arrow Springs for supplies.

Last edited by Raven Wylder; 2007-12-20 at 12:06pm. Reason: Forgot something
Old 2007-12-20, 12:05pm
Burn baby, burn

Default Portland!

Talk about the glass mecca! If you use Bullseye the factory tour is great, and the Resource Center is well worth the visit. If you make arrangements ahead of time they do free glass factory tours too.

Plus, of course, Tucson. If you do more than glasswork, Rio Grande has a "Catalog in Motion" event February 8-11, which is a great time to get your hands on the tools/equipment and ask questions, last year I actually got to use the electric etching machine. Too cool. Also, if you order at the show there's a discount, and if you have a larger purchase in mind you may be able to make arrangements for them to have it on hand. They have a small stock of supplies there, but mostly it's just a big display of the manufacturers they represent/sell for.
http://www.cataloginmotion.com/

Keep in mind there's a triple nexus centering in Arizona -- we're having the Superbowl in a suburb of Phoenix (Glendale), a big golf event in another suburb (Scottsdale), and the Gem & Mineral Show in Tucson.

Hotels are hard to come by, but if you want a floor in Phoenix give me a holler. Lisa
Old 2007-12-20, 12:07pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd View Post
I will be flying in and out of San Francisco from Sydney, but have a strong urge to learn more and will travel. I have been making beads for 2 years and work on a Nortel Minor. I have worked mostly with Moretti glass but would love to learn more about Boro.
kMD
I'm on the opposite coast from San Francisco, but if you are going to be traveling while in the US, I'd be glad to spend a day or two (or three?) teaching you...

Old 2007-12-22, 1:40am

Default West Coast glass

Thank you Chad and Lisa, for your suggestions. I'd love to do a class with you Chad, but with a limited time available I think that might have to wait until the next trip ( Dreaming, dreaming) However I am checking out Bullseye tours in Portland, and the train trip from SF.

I will be in Alameda San Francisco for around 8-10 days What shouldn't I miss? Any hot studio happenings 28 Jan -9 Feb??

KMD
Old 2007-12-22, 10:57am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd View Post
However I am checking out Bullseye tours in Portland, and the train trip from SF.
It might be a good idea to price compare with a plane ticket -- internally, for short hops, they are often less expensive than a train ticket. It can be under $200 round trip, depending on when you travel, and will dramatically save you time. Check out www.orbitz.com, or www.expedia.com. The train company is www.amtrak.com.

I don't know your budget either, but I usually stay at youth hostels because the price is so good, and they have good cleanliness standards. The one in Portland was great, 10 years ago.

Have fun!
Old 2007-12-22, 11:18am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Up and down the coast I would go with Alaska Airlines - Alaskaair.com

They always post their lowest rates on their website, so orbitz and what is actually more because you pay them a $5-$10 fee. It should be around or less than $200, although you should buy them soon. I just flew from Portland, OR to San Fran in October for $196.

I have taken the train from California to Portland before and it is kinda fun. It's slow going, but very pretty, the train runs through the mountains, along the coast, etc... It just depends on how you want to spend your time. Good luck! If you want to stop off in Eugene, OR on your way up, I can hook you up.

TEague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2007-12-22, 12:01pm
FireBeads

If you can get to Tucson you should go...it's a world class event.

Also, Arrow Springs isn't far from SF, maybe there's something going on there.
Old 2007-12-23, 11:54pm

Default Getting closer to Tucson Bead Show

My computer has been running hot, surfing all over. I can get flights to and from Oakdale CA and Tucson, and get a room at the Hampton Inn suites. Not cheap, but its probably the only one free!

Is that near the Bead Show, does anybody want to share, or has anybody got a bed spare in their hotel room and wanna share costs?

Happy Christmas

KMD
Old 2007-12-24, 12:32am
In search of her path....

Tucson! but beware the super bowl is in phoenix in Feb....but in Tucson during this time or for a week or so out of the time youll be here there is the massive awesome bead / wholesale supply shows! I mean hundreds all in tucson

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-12-24, 6:53pm
maybe tomorrow

If you do want to go to Arrow Springs, they're having their big January Party on Saturday, Jan 19th. Lots of food, demos, a big sale, and lots of fun!

ETA...just noticed that you don't get in till the 26th. Sorry!