No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-08, 3:12pm
Yeah me!

Default Thingy for bead removal...

I don't have the strongest hands and sometimes I have beads that I just can't get a grip on. I usually would just ask DH to do it, and he'd get it off. That is until he made a bit of a discovery for me... the backside of a mouse pad. It grips, it's waterproof, it cushions, it's perfect!! I'm sure you all have much better thingy's for this purpose but for those of you who don't... try it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-08, 4:00pm
honorary bead lady

Pop rivet tool!
Old 2009-04-08, 4:04pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107760

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-04-08, 4:23pm
Back to 👊 1

And some companies send out Free Thingies for promotion!!! Great idea! Thanks!

Gayle

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2009-04-08, 6:22pm
Yeah me!

Maybe I should have said INSTEAD OF A RIVET GUN, this won't break or chip your beads.

Old 2009-04-09, 7:58am
Now in living color

Two words. O Rings. I guess that's a letter and a word. For the rivet gun. From the plumbing dept at HD or Loews. I guess that's more than two words.

Old 2009-04-09, 9:09am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yep - if your bead breaks with an o-ringed rivet gun, it wasn't going to come off whole anyway.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-04-09, 9:24am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
yep - if your bead breaks with an o-ringed rivet gun, it wasn't going to come off whole anyway.
Yep, this is true. I've lost about 10 out of 100 this past week using the rivet tool, but they weren't going to come off anyway. My mandrels were really really old and had been warped just at the very tip so the bead could not slide off all the way. Forced with the rivet tool and CRACK!

Oh well! I have bought, cut, and ground ends down on 124 new mandrels though. So I'm okay for now.
Old 2009-04-09, 9:25am
Yeah me!

Ok hopefully this doesn't come off as bitchy but if it does...

I posted this as a tip, jut a little something that happens to work. It didn't require anyone telling me what to try instead. I personally take that as rude as hell, someone tries to share something they have picked up along the way and you rather than saying "oh ok never thought of that" or "thanks for the idea" etc., instead tell me how I should use this or do it like that. WTF people??

This was intended as a TIP, most people already have mouse pads not everyone has a rivet gun handy. Also when it comes down to it, whether you use a rivet gun or not, the bead isn't stuck to begin with, your hands just aren't strong enough to grip it, so this helps with that. If the bead was actually "stuck" it wouldn't come off no matter what you use.

Old 2009-04-09, 9:37am
I speak Murrini!

Aw, Kristina~~~

I hear 'ya...and I just think all the peripheral input was an attempt to assist rather than hijack - but as the original poster, I can understand how you felt that way.

I appreciate your suggestion - truly! I have 95% deterioration in the cartilage of my left thumb (my dominant hand!) and when it comes to gripping beads to twist them while on mandrels, I've used one of those rubber, flat "gripper" things. But after the first bead - if the gripper gets a bit wet - next thing you know the bead just slides around in the grip since its kind of shiny/smooth.

I think the backing on most mouse pads is "neoprene" (stuff wet suits are made from) and so this would definitely hold it's gripability (hum, new word?) better than the regular grippy thingie you get at the market.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll get a relatively inexpensive, generic mousepad (6" x 6") and cut it up for convenient use and handling - and keep it handy!

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-04-09, 9:38am
one day at a time

Kristina,

I'm sorry...I was supposed to thank you in my post for the tip! I prefer to use the old fashioned way off twisting them off and the mouse pad's rubbery grippy side is a fantastic idea. My t-shirt is nowhere near as good as that would be! So I say, thank you!

The rivet gun is great, but I would rather not use that all the time, esp.with the mandrel problem I've been having. I'm throwing out old ones a little at a time, but I need so many I can't afford to buy more new ones now, and I sure don't have the time to cut and grind them! I did 124 last week and it sucked! But I have nice new ones and the beads come off real easy. LOL

NO I won't let anyone else help me with that, because the 1/16" bend too easy!
Old 2009-04-09, 1:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
Ok hopefully this doesn't come off as bitchy but if it does...

I posted this as a tip, jut a little something that happens to work. It didn't require anyone telling me what to try instead. I personally take that as rude as hell, someone tries to share something they have picked up along the way and you rather than saying "oh ok never thought of that" or "thanks for the idea" etc., instead tell me how I should use this or do it like that. WTF people??

This was intended as a TIP, most people already have mouse pads not everyone has a rivet gun handy. Also when it comes down to it, whether you use a rivet gun or not, the bead isn't stuck to begin with, your hands just aren't strong enough to grip it, so this helps with that. If the bead was actually "stuck" it wouldn't come off no matter what you use.
Don't worry, I won't ever again pass along useful information to you. And yes, if you had said in your original post that you knew about the rivet tool, no one would have mentioned it.

WTF indeed.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-04-09, 2:35pm
Corgi Cult Member

Kristina, I never thought to use the back side of a mouse pad. For years I've used a rubber jar opener (the kind that are handed out for free), but it would be nice to have the extra cushion, plus the rubber ones tend to get rather brittle after a time. I have purchased one of the rivot tools, and it's great, but usually I give the beads a twist with the rubber dealie, and only switch to the rivot tool if the bead seems stuck. That system seems to work for me. I'm sure we have an extra mouse pad somewhere, will have to dig it up and give it a try. Thanks!

Old 2009-04-09, 2:39pm
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Kristina,

I'm sorry...I was supposed to thank you in my post for the tip! I prefer to use the old fashioned way off twisting them off and the mouse pad's rubbery grippy side is a fantastic idea. My t-shirt is nowhere near as good as that would be! So I say, thank you!

The rivet gun is great, but I would rather not use that all the time, esp.with the mandrel problem I've been having. I'm throwing out old ones a little at a time, but I need so many I can't afford to buy more new ones now, and I sure don't have the time to cut and grind them! I did 124 last week and it sucked! But I have nice new ones and the beads come off real easy. LOL

NO I won't let anyone else help me with that, because the 1/16" bend too easy!

I did not see your last post until after I posted, you must have posted it while I was typing. I just got some new mandrels too, yeah!! Your very welcome, and that wasn't directed to you so I hope you don't think that.

Old 2009-04-09, 2:41pm
Yeah me!

Quote:
Don't worry, I won't ever again pass along useful information to you. And yes, if you had said in your original post that you knew about the rivet tool, no one would have mentioned it.

WTF indeed.

Old 2009-04-09, 2:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oh and by the way, your post did come off as bitchy.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-04-09, 4:25pm

Peace!!!!! Hugs & Kisses.
May i ask what's 'WTF'?
Old 2009-04-09, 4:59pm
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Nguyen T View Post
Peace!!!!! Hugs & Kisses.
May i ask what's 'WTF'?
WTF means What The Fu*k.

Old 2009-04-09, 5:03pm
Yeah me!

Quote:
Oh and by the way, your post did come off as bitchy.
Ok. Wonderful, thanks so much.

Old 2009-04-09, 6:24pm

I would like to rename this post 'whatever works' so that we are all happy. Personally I have buns of steel and when I cant twist off a bead with my hands then..well hay, whatever works.

Little smile..sorry, life is art.
Old 2009-04-09, 8:39pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumazio View Post
I would like to rename this post 'whatever works' so that we are all happy. Personally I have buns of steel and when I cant twist off a bead with my hands then..well hay, whatever works.

Little smile..sorry, life is art.

You got me giggling!!!!

De

Old 2009-04-09, 8:50pm
I speak Murrini!

Sorry, but I don't think Kristina was out of line with posting her feelings myself!!!

I can understand why she felt a bit hijacked, even if all the information was proffered in an attempt to give "alternative" suggestions on bead removal, and in a sharing and informing fashion! And they were good suggestions, but I think her intent was to highlight her "find", and when the course of the conversation took a side route, it may have felt a bit uncomfortable to her.

I say please don't withhold tips, information, techniques and teachings!!! Glass Karma - if nothing else - would be bruised! Don't 'cha think?

De

Old 2009-04-09, 9:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Sorry, but I don't think Kristina was out of line with posting her feelings myself!!!

I can understand why she felt a bit hijacked, even if all the information was proffered in an attempt to give "alternative" suggestions on bead removal, and in a sharing and informing fashion! And they were good suggestions, but I think her intent was to highlight her "find", and when the course of the conversation took a side route, it may have felt a bit uncomfortable to her.

I say please don't withhold tips, information, techniques and teachings!!! Glass Karma - if nothing else - would be bruised! Don't 'cha think?

De
It is the way she posted them not the fact that she did. Simply the preface of "I am sorry if this comes off bitchy" means they know they are being bitchy. There were many nice ways she could have said it - none of which she chose.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-04-09, 9:35pm
I speak Murrini!

Touche, Squid!!! But to her credit, she did say "sorry" in advance!!! I can commend her for that, as this was an act of grace I often don't possess myself!!! I say let's forgive and move on!

When you have an affliction such as mine, with my dumb thumb cartilage facing replacement probably sometime before end-of-year, any and all suggestions are appreciated! I have one of your handy-dandy rivet tools, and I lurves it! But there are times when "if I could just get a wee bit better grip" on that sucker of a bead - since it's not really stuck but some days I don't have even enough hand strength to hold my toothbrush (or even the rivet tool for that matter) - then the mouse pad may be all I need at that moment. I say it adds to a good mix of options...

De

Old 2009-04-10, 1:04am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Simply the preface of "I am sorry if this comes off bitchy" means they know they are being bitchy.
I dunno. What may sound bitchy to some may not to others.

Using a mouse pad never occurred to me, rivet tool or not, and I'll take it as a valid suggestion. - I'm thinking about cutting an O-ring out of mouse pad now. I'd lose any normal O-ring (or it would end up in my plumbing parts).
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-04-10, 9:45am
Rose colored glasses…√

I use a tourniquet like this one:

http://www.wheelchairmedical.com/p-1...hannelid=NEXTA

I'd suspect it's a bit less awkward to use, since it's so much thinner than a mouse pad...same theory though. It also works great for opening those damn factory vacuum sealed spaghetti sauce jars.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-04-10, 10:10am

I can offer up my husband...one thing he's good for. He has a great grip.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-04-10, 10:34am
Newfoundland lover!

Kristina- thats a grest idea,thanks! I willl use that.

I accidently found another thingy, too. It only works with smaller diameter mandrels. It is a plain ol' can opener. Just the simple metal thin handle kind! You put the end side in where you would lock in the can. It really is just a "grip."
But it works for me and I am a happy camper with it!
I will try the mouse pad for my larger mandrel beads.

Merilee

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2009-04-10, 11:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Aw, Kristina~~~

I think the backing on most mouse pads is "neoprene" (stuff wet suits are made from) and so this would definitely hold it's gripability (hum, new word?) better than the regular grippy thingie you get at the market.

De in CA
That's good to know, so the tip is really a great idea aside of all the other comments.
Kristina - Thanks for the tip.
and De - Thanks for the additional information.

Yvon
Old 2009-04-10, 11:54am
Yeah me!

No problem. I have been using the same mouse pad for about a couple months now and it is still great! It gets bead release on it and instead of becoming a dusty nasty rag I just wipe it off.