Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-17, 3:47pm
jamieincharlotte

Default Ok, got a respirator...now here is a question I haven't seen here.

How do I keep my face from getting hot? Used it today and along with my reading glasses and a proper didydium shield, I felt like I was going to suffocate (glad noone saw me, not a pretty sight). No really, I could breathe but my face got so sweaty even though my work area was cool. I'm pretty sure my respirator fits well, not to small. I got a really bad chest ache the other day, thus the respirator. I love the DH silver glass so felt like getting one was the right thing to do. I feel more safe now except was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I did let in a bit of fresh air between beads but I can't imagine what it is going to be like this summer. I know I have to have it so if you have a solution, I'd love to know. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jamief03; 2012-01-17 at 3:49pm. Reason: left out one letter
Old 2012-01-17, 3:54pm
Salt Box Beads

There are a few people that can't wear respirators medically. I have never had the symptoms you talk about.

I don't wear reading glasses with mine. I use a shield and have a embroidery magnifyer taped to it. That way I only look at the glass in the flame magnified and whenever I look at my bench it is with my normal vision.

Also for silver glass and enamels and frits I always use my full face respirator.

I hope you can work it all out and be comfortable and safe.

I know it took a lot of tweeking for me to get it all just right.
Old 2012-01-17, 4:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamief03 View Post
How do I keep my face from getting hot? Used it today and along with my reading glasses and a proper didydium shield, I felt like I was going to suffocate (glad noone saw me, not a pretty sight). No really, I could breathe but my face got so sweaty even though my work area was cool. I'm pretty sure my respirator fits well, not to small. I got a really bad chest ache the other day, thus the respirator. I love the DH silver glass so felt like getting one was the right thing to do. I feel more safe now except was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I did let in a bit of fresh air between beads but I can't imagine what it is going to be like this summer. I know I have to have it so if you have a solution, I'd love to know. Thanks.
I get a bit sweaty in mine. I dont think that is unusual. I only wear it if I am fuming gold or silver. Do you have decent ventilation?
Old 2012-01-17, 5:57pm
jamieincharlotte

Yes I do. Have an exhaust fan inches from my torch I ordered from someone online. It was made especially for bead makers. It's all set up the right way by his plans. So you don't think I need the face mask except working with silver foil or silver glass?

Old 2012-01-17, 6:21pm
Salt Box Beads

The best thing to do is make sure you always feel exactly the same leaving your torch as when you started using it. If you chest aches, dizzyness, shortness of breath, watery eyes, headache etc you need more protection or you may need to have someone watch you torch to see if you are leaning into the plume, holding your breath etc.

Several lampworkers had their hubbies watch them and they reported they were able to correct bad posture and other problem areas that made torching uncomfortable and or dangerous.

There are lots of things to consider. It just takes time and usually a process of elimination. I have a killer exhaust system and I still use the full face respirator most of the time. I have sensitive sinuses and it helps a lot.
Old 2012-01-17, 6:29pm
jamieincharlotte

My exhaust fan was made by GlassCraft and I've had it since 2009 sort of when I descovered that silver glass made by Double Helix. I really think that has been my problem....hate that. I do lean over and noticed that today actually. I seem to like
getting close to the bead for details, etc. Leaning is a bad habit I guess I always did and wasn't given instruction on that. I took one class and the rest I learned on line or just trial and error. No exhaust/respirator info. given to me at all. Never knew it was
an issue. I know it is now. If I can master the "sweaty face" thing, I'll be ok. Thanks for all of the answers. Best, j

Old 2012-01-17, 7:54pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Glass craft hoods uses notoriously under rated fans... If its a Suncort 210 fan its free air rating is at best at the lowest possible CFM rating that may be acceptable....

Be aware there are two ratings of the Suncort fans .. One is in a booster application probably around 500-600 cfm and one for "free air" application probably around 200-300 cfm.

http://www.suncourt.com/Inductors.html

You do not have a booster application - Booster application is where the fan is placed in duct work to assists the "main" fan in system (typically home heating & cooling)....

When analyzing your ventilation keep in mind the "free air" cfm rating is what you have to go by....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-01-17 at 7:58pm.
Old 2012-01-17, 8:19pm
burnin' glass just becuz

yeah, my face gets a bit sweaty too. i keep a big bottle of ice water and a facecloth nearby to swab down. on really hot days i spritz with a water bottle too

My advice is try not to lean in too close to the flame and maybe try another brand of respirator to see if you can find one that is cooler?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-01-17, 8:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamief03 View Post
Yes I do. Have an exhaust fan inches from my torch I ordered from someone online. It was made especially for bead makers. It's all set up the right way by his plans. So you don't think I need the face mask except working with silver foil or silver glass?
I think that if you have great ventilation then a respirator is not necessary. I dont think I would be comfortable wearing mine for hours at a stretch so I just use it when I think the need is greatest.
Old 2012-01-17, 10:58pm
Salt Box Beads

The problem as Jaimie stated is she purchased a fan made for lampworking and it is one of the most inadequate fans out there and as she stated no one told her. It can be very frustrating.

Telling peeps that if they have great ventilation ( especially newbies ) that they do not need a respirator I think IMHO can do more harm than good. In order for them to KNOW they have a "great" ventilation system they need knowledge and experience or a knowledgeable lampworker that can evaluate their set up. That does not happen most of the time.

Jaimie you are on the right track and you will eventually get it all set up safely and comfortably but it can take lots of tweeking..ask me how I know? I am so glad you are asking questions and searching LE for answers.

There are lots of us that wear respirators the whole day to torch. Mine is lightweight and a perfect fit. It is very important to get a good fit. My full face resipirator is very comfortable.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-01-17 at 11:01pm.
Old 2012-01-18, 10:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Telling peeps that if they have great ventilation ( especially newbies ) that they do not need a respirator I think IMHO can do more harm than good. In order for them to KNOW they have a "great" ventilation system they need knowledge and experience or a knowledgeable lampworker that can evaluate their set up. That does not happen most of the time.
Next time I will just keep my mouth shut and not try to help. The original issue being discussed is the respirator. I was trying to steer her in the direction of ensuring that her ventilation is adequate and then addressing if she needs to wear the respirator at all based on the materials she is working with.
Old 2012-01-18, 11:19am
Salt Box Beads

I apologize Larry. Didn't mean to offend just giving my opinion. I have seen lampworkers die from lung and brain cancer since I have been doing this, and peeps developing asthma and chronic bronchitis etc.

Again I apologize Larry.
Old 2012-01-18, 11:24am
Curmudgeon Engineering

You don't say what type respirator you have. But in any case the filters may be starting to clog up causing you to breath harder. You may also not be acclimated to having so much 'stuff' hanging on your head causing strain. And lastly if you need/want to be up close to your bead try getting down and behind the torch rather than up and over the torch to get closer.

I am also of the opinion that if your vent system is adequate or better then a respitrator is not necessary BUT I also agree with Lorraine that newbies need information on the overkill side of the safety issue especially when/if they do not have a readily available knowlegable person to consult.

ETA - it's especially hard to give general advice here since one cannot see the circumstances in play or read between the lines so try to err on the safe side rather than the cavilier side.

Last edited by cheng076; 2012-01-18 at 11:27am.