No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-24, 5:35pm
What was I thinking?

Default Enameled shards?

Has anyone tried making enameled shards? I'd appreciate any tips or links.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-24, 6:06pm

I just roll it in enamel 2 or 3 times and gently melt in before blowing the bubble. I guess if you want more enamel color you'd have to put several coats on. So far I don't like that much.

Old 2012-08-24, 6:10pm
What was I thinking?

Thanks Rebecca. When I've tried this, the enamel spreads out so much that it just looks weird. Maybe I need to keep the bubble smaller.

Old 2012-08-24, 7:15pm

That could be, but it might not be the problem. Some of the enamel colors change or something. I haven't quite figured that one out yet. Brown does pretty well on silvered ivory blown into shards. I could tell you a couple more if I kept notes.... I'll never learn. lol

Old 2012-08-24, 9:12pm
honorary bead lady

Notes? What are these notes you speak of?
Old 2012-08-24, 9:16pm

Usually paper towels that I forget I wrote stuff on and use. lol

Old 2012-08-25, 7:27am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Usually paper towels that I forget I wrote stuff on and use. lol

It's OK. I write it ALL down and then it sits there because it's a mess and I'm too lazy to organize it AND I can't always read it because I have doctor's handwriting disease. Chicken scratch is easier to read.

I was wondering, along these lines, about mica. What about forming your initial gather, dipping in mica, then encasing and blowing out? Would the gather be too thick? What if you encased the enamels? (asks the girl who is still too chicken to blow shards).

Old 2012-08-25, 9:26am
Lover of Life

I was kinda planning to do enamelled shards and stringers for my demo at Glass Stock. I have made them just as silvered ivory shards, but rolling in enamel usually several times before blowing. The color is usually quite subtle but still noticeable, and the silvery bit becomes more mottled than with regular SI shards. It's just a simple and pleasant little twist on silvered ivory stringers and shards.

I have also tried mica shards, but because you can't get a thick layer of mica, as only the mica that's touching the glass will stay, it gets so spread out after blowing that it pretty much vanishes.

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2012-08-25, 10:51am
Always with a smile!

When I make enameled stringer or shards I generally coat and heat several times to get the correct intensity of color, but blowing the shards does change the color and density
Can't wait to see everyone at Glass Stock

) and
)
Old 2012-08-25, 6:23pm
What was I thinking?

Thanks Becky & Jill. I'm having trouble keeping the colors true. I'll try rolling my gather through the enamel several times.

P.S. I STILL don't take notes like I should. I always think my photos will tell me everything I need to know.

Old 2012-08-25, 7:14pm

This might sound stupid, but on the subject of keeping notes, I use a voice activated recorder and then transcribe to the computer later. Couldn't figure out what else to do with it when I finished school.

Andrea
Old 2012-08-25, 7:26pm
What was I thinking?

Good idea! How much do they cost, and do they take up much space?

Old 2012-08-25, 9:05pm
Bracelet Ho

Jennifer Geldard has a great tutorial on her website on enameled shards. She has been doing them for years. http://www.glassgirl.com/shards.html