Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-27, 4:42pm
Fugitive from the Dogstar

Default Speaking of Silver...

Hi there,

I'm a newbie and I was wondering what the difference is between silver leaf and silver foil. I had thought I had ordered foil, which is a little thicker right? Well this stuff that I have is thin - I mean it sticks to everything, tries to fly away at the slightest breeze, and is just all out difficult to handle.

Can I do silver ivory stringer with this stuff or would I be better off ordering foil (the next time my paycheck will allow )? If I can't do stringer with it what can I do? I tried adding it to a bead and it burned off, even at the back of the flame.

Also, I botched up an order of silver wire and accidentally ordered this little 3" sliver of wire, the fine stuff, but it's a gauge of 16 and seems a bit thick for a bead. Is it? I have no clue what gauge would be best to use in beads.

I'm showing my newbie-ness aren't I. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

Blessings!
Carol
Old 2013-08-27, 4:57pm

You can make silvered ivory with either leaf (very thin) or foil (thicker, but still thin.). I order my leaf from Arrow Springs and my foil from Generations Glass.
I use 28 to 32 gauge fine silver wire for adding silver to beads. I order from Rio Grande. 3" would be used up super fast in that gauge.
If you know a jeweler with bench tools they can pull down your 16.
Old 2013-08-27, 5:05pm

I can answer the leaf/foil but I know nothing about wire.

Leaf is thin, foil is the think stuff. Foil will be too much proportionately for SIS (silvered ivory stringer), so use leaf. Yes, when you use foil it initially looks like it burns away in the flame, but it's still there and if you like add frit it will kind of bunch up between the frit flakes and you will see silver dots again. You can also put down a transparent color, add silver leaf, burnish it in with a poker or mandrel or tweezers, don't put it in the flame to burn it in, encase.

-Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-27, 5:58pm
Dynamic Duo

to keep it from flying away, I fold a paper towel in quarters, dampen it, then lay it over the silver leaf and pick up the whole leaf that way. Then when making SIS, roll the hot ivory right over the leaf on the damp paper towel. Sometimes it browns and smokes, but does not affect the SIS.

Old 2013-08-27, 6:07pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
I can answer the leaf/foil but I know nothing about wire.

Leaf is thin, foil is the think stuff. Foil will be too much proportionately for SIS (silvered ivory stringer), so use leaf. Yes, when you use foil it initially looks like it burns away in the flame, but it's still there and if you like add frit it will kind of bunch up between the frit flakes and you will see silver dots again. You can also put down a transparent color, add silver leaf, burnish it in with a poker or mandrel or tweezers, don't put it in the flame to burn it in, encase.

-Donna
Donna, ate you saying leaf is better than foil to make SIS? I've always heard it the other way around. Now I'm confused? Can you shed some light for me please.

And, BTW, love the new barrel bead rollers. I've been waiting for ones to do necklace sets. You'll see more of my money tomorrow.
Old 2013-08-27, 6:15pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Donna, ate you saying leaf is better than foil to make SIS? I've always heard it the other way around. Now I'm confused? Can you shed some light for me please.

And, BTW, love the new barrel bead rollers. I've been waiting for ones to do necklace sets. You'll see more of my money tomorrow.
I have never heard this either. I always use foil. Hmmm...

Old 2013-08-27, 6:47pm
Queen Bee

I've tried it with both leaf and foil - it still comes out so dark it looks more black than anything on the bead. I'd love to hear other's opinion on what works best as well.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-08-27, 7:29pm

Back in my SIS hayday, I would roll in leaf, then heat it into a ball, then keep folding it over on itself over and over and over, that mixes the silver an ivory better and makes leaf streaks. Then when I would pull the stringer I would twist, like making a twistie. Makes it easier to melt it into an ivory bead for the marble streaks.

Hope that made sense.
-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-27, 8:11pm
Queen Bee

Well, that makes more sense, lol. I was just melting in the leaf and pulling - no wonder it was so dark! Thanks Donna!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-08-27, 8:18pm

Why twist?

Barbara
Old 2013-08-27, 8:29pm

Check out Naos's thread in the tutorial section, http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24881, for using silver leaf with ivory stringer - it works great! You can always just apply the leaf to your bead too. I usually use foil when using a rod and pulling silvered ivory stringer (sis) with it myself. You can get different effects depending on the ratio of silver to ivory that you use, and how much you swirl it before you pull your stringer if that makes sense.

With your 16 gauge fine silver wire, you can use it to fume your bead (works great with an ivory base of course). I was given a boro rod and melt drops of fine silver on the end of it and then use that for fuming. Of course, you could also just use your 16ga to fuse some large fine silver rings to use in jewelry too if you make your own pieces! I use 30ga fs typically for applying on my beads.

Tina

Old 2013-08-28, 5:16am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverReflections View Post
Check out Naos's thread in the tutorial section, http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24881, for using silver leaf with ivory stringer - it works great! You can always just apply the leaf to your bead too. I usually use foil when using a rod and pulling silvered ivory stringer (sis) with it myself. You can get different effects depending on the ratio of silver to ivory that you use, and how much you swirl it before you pull your stringer if that makes sense.

Tina
Looking at Naos' SIS info, she uses a stringer....how the heck do you burnish silver onto a stringer without it wilting or going soft? (And don't say heat control cuz it just doesn't seem to make sense. )
Old 2013-08-28, 5:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Why twist?
If the stringer is twisted then it lays down in a more random natural pattern and is easier to get the faux marble look.

Quote:
how the heck do you burnish silver onto a stringer without it wilting or going soft? (And don't say heat control cuz it just doesn't seem to make sense. )
I haven't read the tut, but burnishing is when you rub the silver in with a tool. When you melt it in the silver kind of is a heat shield at first, so just take it out as it starts to wilt.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-28, 5:42am

Ok, went and read the tut. She only burnishes it, that's the rubbing it on with a tool part, she does not melt it in the flame .

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-28, 5:50am
I fart diamonds

A Leaf and Foil Vac will hold it in place. I posted a tutorial on making one for less than $20:

http://hotglasschick.com/stuff/leaf-and-foil-vacuum/

Old 2013-08-28, 5:55am

This is a great tut!! I made one and it works perfectly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
A Leaf and Foil Vac will hold it in place. I posted a tutorial on making one for less than $20:

http://hotglasschick.com/stuff/leaf-and-foil-vacuum/

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-08-28, 6:15am

I have a friend that leaves the leaf on the paper, it burns off in the flame so no problem, but ya, if you have any kind of air movement the vac is the way to go.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-28, 6:48am

Shawnette's free tut works perfectly! Only change I made was to use a stainless steel holy roller over the screen wire

Barbara
Old 2013-08-28, 7:25am
Sheila Davis Designs

If you rub your fingers on a graphite pad they won't stick to the leaf.

Old 2013-08-28, 8:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
If you rub your fingers on a graphite pad they won't stick to the leaf.
What a great tip!! Awesome, thanks!

(I have a few graphite paddles laying around, I'll have to try that)

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-28, 11:27am

Quote:
Looking at Naos' SIS info, she uses a stringer....how the heck do you burnish silver onto a stringer without it wilting or going soft? (And don't say heat control cuz it just doesn't seem to make sense. )
I warmed up the stringer (I cheat and use the premade stringer for this so its relatively thick, ~2-3mm) in the back of the flame gently. Enough to get it warm but not enough to make it droop and the leaf will still well to it, then I burnished it (rubbed it on) quickly with my marver to make it stick well. I apply it to my bead with the leaf still visible, so not melted in on the stringer. I think I read a comment where someone said they wetted (licked I believe lol) the stringer first and then applied the leaf to it (no preheating here obviously!). I've not tried it, I only remembered after I had heated the stringer lol, so I can't say whether it works or not.

Tina

Old 2013-08-28, 1:01pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverReflections View Post
I warmed up the stringer (I cheat and use the premade stringer for this so its relatively thick, ~2-3mm) in the back of the flame gently. Enough to get it warm but not enough to make it droop and the leaf will still well to it, then I burnished it (rubbed it on) quickly with my marver to make it stick well. I apply it to my bead with the leaf still visible, so not melted in on the stringer. I think I read a comment where someone said they wetted (licked I believe lol) the stringer first and then applied the leaf to it (no preheating here obviously!). I've not tried it, I only remembered after I had heated the stringer lol, so I can't say whether it works or not.

Tina
This is what I do. I cut my book into strips (paper and all) before I use it, as well.

Old 2013-08-29, 12:22pm

Um, Tina, the wetting the stringer part was me...............Of course, I didn't admit to licking it?!?

Shawnette, when I cut my leaf/foil into strips the thin paper wants to dig into the silver and doesn't full let it release. Any tips?

Barbara
Old 2013-08-29, 12:32pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Um, Tina, the wetting the stringer part was me...............Of course, I didn't admit to licking it?!?

Shawnette, when I cut my leaf/foil into strips the thin paper wants to dig into the silver and doesn't full let it release. Any tips?
Better scissors.

Old 2013-08-29, 4:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Better scissors.
^^--^^ this

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-29, 11:01pm

Quote:

Lol! Sorry, that must have been how I was tempted to wet it then. Gotta go with what's handy since my cats always drink the water I leave by my bench!