TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-24, 3:50am

Default Is there a diff. between kugler and lauscha?

Hi all! Well just wondering what you prefer between the clear lauscha,Vetrofond or the kugler? My Morretti clear drives me nuts sometimes! My 10-11mm always gets a bit bubbly and it cracks up the rod when I use it. then when I set the rod down after using it it cracks again so I have alot of pull off waste.

http://www.frantzartglass.com/items.asp?CartId={06EC396D-AB06-4EVERESTC3E-A61D-1A21FD3A98ED}&Cc=LAUSCHAROD&Bc=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by meadowesky; 2006-02-24 at 3:52am.
Old 2006-02-24, 5:08am
Old enough to know better

I haven't tried the Kugler yet but I always use Lauscha. I can cook it to bits and I never have trouble with scum or browning. It's stiffer than Moretti, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone using a HH. The Kugler is apparently easier to work - melts more easily - and also very clear. I would have tried it, but there seemed to be some issues with cracking. Arrow Springs has information about it on their web-site.

As for the rod cracking - this has to do with the size of the rod. Any large rod of soda lime glass needs to be introduced to the flame slowly because SL glass is very subject to thermal shock. The larger the rod, the more slowly it has to be introduced. This is just as true for Lauscha as for Moretti. I like the thick rods of Lauscha clear, but they'll pop, crack, send bits of hot glass flying toward my face, etc. if I just stick them directly in the hot part of the flame. When I make complex cane, I always have blobs left on the ends of my clear punty rods and these always crack off shortly after I set them down.

I'd be interested to hear some recent info on the Kugler since I'm still considering using it.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-02-24, 6:24am
Ad astra per aspera

Kugler and Lauscha are different. First, obviously, there from different manufacturers. Second, I've had prior good experience with Lauscha, but the last batch I got (about 2 years ago) his given me a lot of cracking problems with almost anything I used (other base glass, even other Lauscha colors, and Lauscha clear for encasing). Lauscha "feels" slow to me....it's slow to melt, slow to manipulate.

Kugler handles differently. Granted, I'm using a larger torch, but it melts quickly, I've gotten very few bubbles, it handles quickly and the batch I got (I think I was in the first wave of buyers) has been completely compatible with everything I threw at it....Effetre, Vetrofond, Lauscha, even 96 COE frits as a middle layer.

I understand that there have been some batch consistency problems, so YMMV, but so far I'm really impressed by the Kugler. I bought more in Tucson.

Old 2006-02-24, 6:42am
Satake Woman!

I've tried all 3, and by far prefer the Vetrofond. Lauscha and Kugler both gave me cracking problems.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-02-24, 7:12am
Cheeky & Impervious

Yep, I got almost 2 lbs. of Kugler ANYONE can have for the cost of shipping!!!! LOL.

Old 2006-02-25, 11:32am
the Evil One

Vetrovond! I have had trouble with Lauscha cracking. I did not try kugler. Not one bit with Vetrovond.
Sandra

Old 2006-02-25, 8:20pm
on hiatus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julabula
Yep, I got almost 2 lbs. of Kugler ANYONE can have for the cost of shipping!!!! LOL.
Really?!? I like using the Kugler, are you sure you don't want to give it another try? I talked to a gal the other day who was using too much heat so it was scummy and then you need to give your bead a thorough heating before putting it in the kiln.

If you decide you don't want, I'll gladly help take it off your hands!
Old 2006-02-26, 10:34pm
Indecision = Flexibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
I'd be interested to hear some recent info on the Kugler since I'm still considering using it.
I don't know which batch I got, but I haven't had any trouble with it cracking until this week when I tried to encase double Helix glass with it. In fact, I just posted a new thread about it.

It's much more sparkly than *any* of the other clear glasses, and I luv the way it looks. I also like the way it works. Since I'm still not the world's best encaser, I need an easy working clear. Lauscha and Kugler fit this bill, but the Kugler is prettier - to me, at least.

Gayle

H9
Old 2006-02-27, 8:47am
Susan

Kugler was way clear and prettier for me but almost every encased floral I did has now cracked into a cabachon

Old 2006-02-27, 9:43am
ManBearPig

Just use boro. No clear problems there....

But, seriously, I have never tried Kugler or Vetrofond clear. That's because I use Lauscha and have never had the first problem with it. You do need to put it into the kiln a little hotter than you do with other soft glass, but that's no big deal.