No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-30, 4:56pm
I think I could be a bead

Default Making good bead ends

This is really a challenge for me. I read somewhere that when Kimberly Affleck makes a bead, it can stand on its end. That tells me it's level and flat. Any suggestions on how to do this? I can get a pucker in a round bead, but I really have trouble making good ends on a longer bead. Thanks in advance.

Mallory
Old 2007-06-30, 6:15pm

I usually use a graphite paddle to square mine up (graphite block on a wooden handle). I like the paddle because I can bring it up to eye level and turn the bead while I'm shaping it. Hope that helps some!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-30, 6:39pm
Looking for my waistline

I use a cheese knife with a forked end. Here's a photo (hope the link works).
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=10803

The end is perfect for holding against the end of the bead. The mandrel fits right down into the fork and I press the flat edge of the knife against the bead. It will still take some practice to get your beads to stand on their ends like Kim's beads without looking like the Leaning Tower of Piza.
Old 2007-07-01, 12:12am
Sheila

I spent a LOT of time practicing to consistently get it right. If your glass is balanced before you start marvering, and you apply gentle, even pressure, then your ends will be good. Also, don't try to push the glass into a puckered end; tip your mandrel and let the glass flow down a little so the surface tension makes the pucker. Then you can marver it to sharpen the edge. I hope that makes sense. It took me a while to figure some of these things out, even though they seem obvious to me now.

And, yes, Kimberly's beads do stand on end.

Old 2007-07-01, 8:19am

Yeah, what Kimberly and Sheila said! I spent half an hour trying to fix ends on a tube bead, THEN I really looked at it. It was way off center. Once that was fixed, the ends were no longer such a problem. My beads don't stand up though...yet!
Old 2007-07-01, 9:14am
Glass-aholic

what about puckered ends? why are they popular? i always thought that was something i didn't want until i saw them here on LE... all the comments on how nice they are... hummm, they still look weird to me!!!! lol
________
Suzuki Dr-Z400

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:42pm.
Old 2007-07-01, 9:43am

The puckered ends are not sharp, so they don't cut, scratch, or wear down the stringing material.
Also, check your madrel to make sure it is not bent. A bent mandrel is almost impossible to center on. If you can say DUH! I've done it!
Old 2007-07-01, 9:49am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I had a terrible time getting puckers on my long beads too untill I saw James Smircich's dvd on making beads. Cleared up a lot of problems for me and it made so much sense

Old 2007-07-01, 12:18pm

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful information. I tried today, but I don't think I made a long bead that will actually stand up like Kimberly's do. I have a lot more homework to do! lol

Mallory
Old 2007-07-01, 2:48pm
Missing presumed fed

Your end wrap of glass has to be absolutely straight around the mandrel -- parallel to the end of the mandrel, not / or \. If it's angled, you'll always have an angled end to the bead. (This is pretty much Smircich's First Law.)

It's a lot easier said than done, of course.

Once you have your end wraps on well, you can heat your glass up so that it draws up and leaves the ends skinny, then get it hot enough to flow, tilt the mandrel down so that it flows over the end (keep turning the mandrel so that it stays on center), and let it flow just until it goes over that first wrap. If you want, you can marver it or just let it cool a little to stay in position. Do the other end to match (I say that like it's easy to get them to match), then keep the ends warm enough that they don't crack but not hot enough to move while you decorate the rest of your bead.

As Kimberly said, Jim Smircich is pretty much the man on this -- basic bead shaping (particularly long beads) and using & understanding heat. Take his class if you can -- if not, he has a couple of DVDs out, and Jim Kervin's booklet on Smircich is also useful.
Old 2007-07-02, 8:09pm

Thanks, so much for all the helpful advice, and it is very helpful to me! I have a Smircich video, and I'll have to watch that again. Thanks again. Kimberly, if you are ever at the Gathering Place again, I'll try to get to your class there. My son lives a mile from Wrigley Field, so, it might be a stretch to get there, but it might just work out.

Thanks, again.

Mallory
Old 2007-07-03, 1:08am

I have the Jim Kervin's booklet on Smircich, it made a massive difference in my general glass control and especially in bead shaping and bead ends, well worth a look, also its cheaper than the video's but packed full of info!

Old 2007-07-03, 12:12pm

Here I am trying not to shop and it sounds like I need some Smircich material!

Ana
Old 2007-07-04, 7:31pm
Glass-aholic

[/quote]

what i thought were puckered ends was the difference between the bead ends "u" on the top of this bead (amber's s&t from today, the perfect example) and the rounded "o" at the bottom, fluent with the shape.... this makes much more scence to me now!!! Thanks!!! PS I LOVE THIS BEAD!!!!!!!
________
Herbalaire vaporizer

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:44pm.