Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-15, 7:16am

Default Torching in the cold

How do you who live in the cold climate keep your space warm while you torch? I used to work in my basement, close to the furnace. That was chilly with the fan in the window, but doable. Now my set up is in my studio in NY State and I only have a wood stove in there. I am cringing at the thought of all my lovely warmth being sucked out!!!
Cate
Old 2013-12-15, 10:08am

What does your workshop look like?
There are a number of small things that can help.
Can you put the replacement vent directly on the table instead of venting from the room? A reflective baffle behind the torch helps reflect the IR into the shop.
A blower on the stove will burn more fuel but kickout more BTU's a catolitic converter also ups the BTU's, depending on the type and model of stove there are adjustments that can help.
Preheating the shop before turning on the vent/torch will also help, a switch on the bench would let you turn the vent on/off a little sooner.
a small space heater under the bench keeps at least part of the shop tolerable.
After that your left with dressing in layers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-15, 11:39am
dances with ideas...

There's more info in this thread:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255620

Old 2013-12-15, 1:28pm

I just bought a Lasko space heater for less than $50 on amazon and it's doing a pretty nice job for me. My space is probably about 12 x 7 and I'm in Chicago with my studio on an enclosed, but un-insulated front porch, i.e. frackin cold!!! So far, it's amazing. Mine has settings where I can just keep it on, or time it for an hour or two or three or four and I believe it's got an automatic shut off if it tips over.
Old 2013-12-15, 2:09pm

OK, more info. The room is the 2nd floor of a 30'X35' barn. Stairwell in back to 2nd floor and the woodstove in front of stairs on 2nd floor. Big windows on all 4 walls. A big open space, where I have a glass fusing studio. I want to carve out a space for lampwork and also jewelry making. This past summer I sheetrocked the ceiling and finished the walls with wood. The stairwell needs a regular door to keep out the cold from downstairs. There is a dirt floor in the barn, so it heaves in winter. A lot. I have to re-do the stairs with a foundation to stop that, then I can put in a door (just have a plastic tarp on it now that I secure as best I can).
I looked at the other thread you put up, Roberta. I may try what Phill said for now and put a fan in the window and crack the top window for return air. See how that works. I have a Viking hood someone gave me that I haven't set up yet. Not enough time before winter set in. Plus in that 2nd thread you posted another thread I will tag for use this spring/summer/fall. Really a lot of information. Thanks Roberta!!
Cate