Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-25, 10:07am

Default Oxygen Concentrator Overheating

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this fixed/know anyone who could possibly fix it? It can run for about 40 minutes and then dies. My understanding is that it might be a cooling fan or some type of sensor. I'm in the Chicago area and would rather bring it to someone than pay $60 shipping one way and then the other.

Any suggestions? It's a DeVilbiss.

Thanks!
Old 2014-06-25, 1:07pm
Alaska Boro

Most manuals list issues and the probable cause. See what your manual has to say about the machine problem.

Take the covers off and see if the issue remains. And check the fan. Usually the only visible moving part in the machine is the fan which may be on the end of the compressor or a muffin fan located under the compressor depending on machine model.
Old 2014-06-25, 2:11pm

Call some pharmacies that rent them out and find someone who services your brand. Call the manuf for help with your over heating problem. When was the last time you changed the filter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2014-06-25, 5:42pm

Thank you guys. I called the manufacturer and there's a place in the Chicago area but very 9-5 hours and I'll have to take time off work to get it done that way. No other places seem to service these unless I ship it somewhere and back and then I've added $120 to my repair cost. I cleaned the filter and right now I'm testing it by running it to see how long it will run before it overheats. Those of you who work in soft glass--what LPM do you find you use? I never change my machine but I think it was running too high so now I'm testing it at 3LPM to see how long it runs. There are a decent number of these in Craigslist and I have a friend who may have one for me, but I'd like to get this one fixed. Trying it my first but it looks like mine has 50,000 hours logged on it and I figure it has to give out some time

How many LPM do most soft glass people run their oxy cons at?

Thanks!!
Old 2014-06-25, 6:10pm

The LPM used is usually determined by the torch being used. 3 LPM sounds pretty low-- what kind if torch are you using?

Mimi
Old 2014-06-25, 6:23pm

a mini carlisle. so far it's running for almost an hour and it feels warm but not hot. I'm going to run it for two hours (I hope) tonight and then tomorrow I'll kick it up to 4 lpm and see how it goes. I usually work for three hours at a time.
Old 2014-06-25, 6:59pm

I'm using a mini CC right now, as well. I use an 8LPM/15PSI, and run it a little below 8. If the lower LPM gives you a flame you're happy with and it stops your machine from overheating running it lower, you might have found a good solution. I don't know what would cause it to overheat, though, so can't help with that part of it. Good luck!

Mimi
Old 2014-06-25, 7:42pm

so bummed---almost one hour and then BAM, overheating. It's either repair, or buy a new one, or both. Time to review my budget and watch Craig's List But, I've gotten a number of years out of this machine, countless hours of calm, so, I'll deal with it. Thanks everyone.
Old 2014-06-25, 10:31pm

As many hours as you have on it, I think I would just give it a big kiss goodbye. Any company will charge a bench price (put it on the bench, take the cover off and try to diagnose the problem). Some will give you that charge in with the repair, but you'll be out $25 to $45 either way. Save it and try to find another used one. Invacare was highly recommended by the place I go. They said that their models hardly ever gave their owners any problems. I run 2 (or 3) together with "Y"'s to get the flame that I like (one isn't putting out over 2 right now). I'm getting another one this weekend for $60.00. Very used, but still about the same price as driving one to a repair shop and the bench price thrown in. When they're gone, they're gone. It's usually too expensive to fix them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara