Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2015-08-17, 12:31pm

Default StarFlame gas with HotHead torch?

I've been using 1 lb Mapp Pro canisters on my HotHead, but I burn through them too fast (the cost and the disposal are major issues). So, I've been trying to find a bulk distributor for Mapp gas. Our local Praxair doesn't carry it, but they recommended Starflame C cutting fuel as an alternative. I am told it is a propylene gas (like Map Gas). I looked up the MSDS and it says it is 99.5% Propane and 0.5% Chemtane 2 Concentrate.

The spec sheet says that the Flame Temperature in Oxygen - degrees Farenheit=

Propane: 5130
MAPP: 5340
Propylene: 5240
StarFlame C: 5800

Anyone heard of this or used StarFlame C fuel for Flamework before?
I've only got a HotHead torch. If this isn't an acceptable gas, I'll probably just go with straight Propane (because it is available everywhere and I'll just have to learn to use it effectively without damaging the colours)

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 2015-08-17, 1:51pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30FootForest View Post
I've been using 1 lb Mapp Pro canisters on my HotHead, but I burn through them too fast (the cost and the disposal are major issues). So, I've been trying to find a bulk distributor for Mapp gas. Our local Praxair doesn't carry it, but they recommended Starflame C cutting fuel as an alternative. I am told it is a propylene gas (like Map Gas). I looked up the MSDS and it says it is 99.5% Propane and 0.5% Chemtane 2 Concentrate.

The spec sheet says that the Flame Temperature in Oxygen - degrees Farenheit=

Propane: 5130
MAPP: 5340
Propylene: 5240
StarFlame C: 5800

Anyone heard of this or used StarFlame C fuel for Flamework before?
I've only got a HotHead torch. If this isn't an acceptable gas, I'll probably just go with straight Propane (because it is available everywhere and I'll just have to learn to use it effectively without damaging the colours)

Thanks in advance for any input!
I've never heard of it, but it's fine to use, based on the info you've posted.

If going bulk, just go with the BBQ tank of propane. It's much less expensive and widely available. The difference in flame temps and color rendering isn't really that much between the the two gases. When I switched from MAPP to propane, I couldn't really tell the difference, but the cost savings were tremendous.

(Propane refills here are $8 at Costco, vs the $30 or so I was paying for MAPP, plus tank rental.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-08-22, 6:12pm

Thanks for sharing your experience and for the tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
If going bulk, just go with the BBQ tank of propane. It's much less expensive and widely available. The difference in flame temps and color rendering isn't really that much between the the two gases. When I switched from MAPP to propane, I couldn't really tell the difference, but the cost savings were tremendous.
Old 2016-01-31, 12:52pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Hey 'Nette! Need to pick your brain about what parts I'd need to go from a B-hose fitting to a bulk propane tank. Do I need regulators? Flashback arrestors? Help!! I haven't used a Hot Head in over a decade

Old 2016-02-24, 9:23am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
Hey 'Nette! Need to pick your brain about what parts I'd need to go from a B-hose fitting to a bulk propane tank. Do I need regulators? Flashback arrestors? Help!! I haven't used a Hot Head in over a decade
This is what you need to connect a hothead a bulk tank:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59825-Pr...E0KFNRA6C4PV8K