Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-05-19, 5:45am
Angie09

Default Need color suggestions ... please

I am looking to make beads that resemble the sea ... blues, aquas ... with color variations. Any suggestions? Pictures are always welcomed!!!

Much appreciated!!!

Last edited by Angie09; 2011-05-19 at 5:56am.
Old 2011-05-19, 9:19am
Pyromaniac

Turquesa & Multi from Northstar come immediately to mind. Layered over star white perhaps.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-05-19, 9:25am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Turquesa & Multi from Northstar come immediately to mind. Layered over star white perhaps.
Turquesa and multi together over white? Or independently??
Old 2011-05-19, 3:35pm

I don't know if maybe something like this is what you're looking for?

If so, I can't tell you exactly the colors but it would start pretty much like this-
Take a clear rod about 10mm and coat it with unobtanium. Then I'll put other colors down like irid, maybe some asian amber (it'll look green over the unobtainium), maybe some triple passion..you can get some blues with that. I sometimes like a few thin stripes of encased disco, I like the sparkle. Then I'll twist it down to a 3-4mm rod and make encased beads.
That bead up there probably has some AP or triple passion in it, you probably don't want that. Turquesa sounds nice! I'll have to try that. Maybe some Mystery Aventurine too....
Hope that helps some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-19, 4:04pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post

If so, I can't tell you exactly the colors but it would start pretty much like this-
Take a clear rod about 10mm and coat it with unobtanium. Then I'll put other colors down like irid, maybe some asian amber (it'll look green over the unobtainium), maybe some triple passion..you can get some blues with that. I sometimes like a few thin stripes of encased disco, I like the sparkle. Then I'll twist it down to a 3-4mm rod and make encased beads.
That bead up there probably has some AP or triple passion in it, you probably don't want that. Turquesa sounds nice! I'll have to try that. Maybe some Mystery Aventurine too....
Hope that helps some.
Yeah ... that's what I'm looking for. I'll try that tomorrow using the Turquesa that was mentioned before. Thanks so much!!!
Old 2011-05-19, 5:13pm
Astro Cat

oh my gosh, I love that bead!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-05-20, 6:21am

You're welcome Angie and thanks Dee.
I thought I should clarify...the reason I can't tell you the exact colors in there is that I don't remember as I don't write things down or if I do it's usually on a paper towel or something. lol

Old 2011-05-20, 1:39pm
Save the Numbats

Thankfully, this range is covered great in boro! There are two categories of colors to chose from: the polychromatics, and the um.. monochromatics.

From GA, I'd go for Peacock, Twilight, Agua Azul, Persian Blue and Mint for the WYSIWYG colors. Maybe also Jupiter Sparkle, Neptune Sparkle and all the Chameleon versions of the first 4. I made this bead with Peacock and Amazon Night: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/6528349

For GA polychromatics, Indigo Luster makes some nice blues. Blue Passion, too. You can get deep aqua-teals from over striking Purple Luster. I know other GA polychromatics do a nice greenish-blue, but they're not coming to mind at the moment.

Alaska Night from Momka's Glass is amazing in the right context, too. Lustrous Blue is really nice. See these bead I made forever and a 1/2 ago to see the neato oceany color sheen Alaska Night can get: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/5114378 and http://www.etsy.com/transaction/5626382

For NS, they have similar to the 1st four GAs I listed - Deep Sea Blue, Blue Spruce and Opaque Aqua are great. Also, Ice Blue and Glacier Blue are fantastic tints in that color range. Midnight is a nice dark, dark water blue. Indigo Aventurine might count, as well as unobtanium. Alaskan Thunder is similar to Momka's Alaska Night, too.
Old 2011-05-21, 6:41am

Those are some nice colors Juln.

Old 2011-05-21, 9:41am
Save the Numbats

Thanks Deb!

One great new color that is fantastic for greens and blues is GA Dragons Eye. I love it, it's like an Amazon Night or Lagoon that doesn't go muddy. It stays in the beautiful blue-green range. It has copper, though and will turn pink on the surface if reduced. Later on I'll post a pic of a honeycomb blown bead I made earlier...
Old 2011-05-21, 9:55am
Angie09

Oh I have Dragons Eye but haven't used it. What's the best way...over white?? Does it strike???
Old 2011-05-21, 4:31pm

So many colors so little time. (and money)lol.

Old 2011-05-21, 7:02pm

try buying occasional quality glass at glass alchemys web site its only 22 a pound and it allows you to complete your glass pallet. i also watch for odds on sale at all the glass websites. my favorite green for inside work is experimental green by northstar. glass alchemy has the whole spectrum of opaques creamy greens and blues. an excellent blue over white is ga brilliant blue.ga agua azul, really teally, peacock, and twilight are opaque and complemnt each other. the amazons, carnivals and lusters are all fun too.
Old 2011-05-21, 7:28pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by craignog View Post
try buying occasional quality glass at glass alchemys web site its only 22 a pound and it allows you to complete your glass pallet.
What does "occasional quality" glass mean at GA? I don't see an explanation on their website.
Old 2011-05-21, 7:50pm
Save the Numbats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Oh I have Dragons Eye but haven't used it. What's the best way...over white?? Does it strike???
It's a polychromatic, like Indigo Luster or Amazon Night. The Northstar exotics are the same sort of thing.

Yes, it strikes in interesting ways since it has both ruby and copper. Glass Alchemy invites you to try striking both for extra thrills! It's not that transparent when worked, but a thin layer over white might be nice looking.

I can't find this bead I made from it, alas. I have a bunch more D.E., and will post pics as soon as I can.

Quote:
What does "occasional quality" glass mean at GA? I don't see an explanation on their website.
It's the 'seconds' quality. GA has Firsts, like Northstar's Firsts, OT (Out of Tolerance), which are like NS Odds - first quality glass, in off sizes or colors, and Occasionals, which are like NS Seconds. The rationale for the name is that you 'occasionally' run into stones or air bubbles.

I really like Odds/OT myself, since working around stones and bubbles can be a pain and the price:quality ratio is attractive. Some OCs/Seconds are perfectly good though, and a steal for the price.
Old 2011-05-21, 9:45pm

You know the colors are made from different chemicals or minerals and mixed with each other or layered can give you different effects, so to know what the color is made from can really effect what you chose to layer over something or mix with to give you and different shade or color. this is very intriguing. Where does someone go to learn this stuff?

Old 2011-05-23, 2:31am
Serenity Now!

Deb - there is a ton of information on the GA and NS websites. I've probably read them through dozens of times, and each time I always learn a bunch of new stuff. It's true - so many colours - so much to learn and play with... never enough time!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-05-24, 8:36am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I made some barrel beads (regular bead but double-wide) with a base of Asian Green, rolled in large Mystery Aventurine frit, and then covered with clear. My wife says it looks like Monet's 'Water Lillies' IHHO (in her humble opinion).

Last edited by gmkcpa; 2011-05-24 at 8:37am. Reason: fix spelling
Old 2011-05-24, 12:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post

Hope that helps some.
I LOVE this bead and have been playing around trying to make one that looks even a little bit like it, but am not having good results. All you can see is the unobtainium. Any suggestions?

Old 2011-05-24, 12:55pm
Angie09

I tried it too but it came out wayyyy darker!! No luck here.
Old 2011-05-25, 3:07pm

What size clear are you guys using? Maybe make it a few mm thicker and the unobtanium is very, very thin. Hold you color rod like this l/ against the clear. Hmmm. Does that make sense? This "l" is the clear, this "/" is the color. So l/ swiping it down. Unob is kinda stiff so keep it in a tight hot flame and the clear just under.
You could try using stardust instead if it's coming out too dark. I never have but it sounds good plus it's sparkly. I love sparkly.

Old 2011-05-26, 5:50am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

That makes perfect sense Rebecca, you just encase a thick clear rod with the unobtanium.