TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-23, 9:08pm

Default I want a kiln! How? What Kind? Where?

Well I realize that my next major purpose will probably be a kiln. I don't want to spend too much money just want one that works. Can all you guys share your great, often asked for advice on what I need, Where to go?
I don't want to spend a whole lot of money for one. Most important however, I would love it to be like a computer component. (plug and play) lol.
If anyone knows of anyone or themselves that has one for sale, I would be interested in that option as well.

Thanks a bunches
Irene

Last edited by Reenie; 2006-02-23 at 9:51pm.
Old 2006-02-25, 5:13pm

I do not think you have gotten responses since your request is not specific. There are many different kilns depending on your needs. Small or big? Do you want to fuse/slump as well as Anneal? Do you want to do PMC? Do you need a digital controller (highly recommended)? And also what exactly is your budget?

Hope this will help.

Diane
Old 2006-02-25, 6:11pm

Assuming you want a Bead Annealer look here!!

http://www.tincityartglassllc.com/ChiliPepper.html

I sell these because I love them. We use them at the studio and I use them at home! Jen-Ken has excellent customer service and right now the wait time is nil. I know because I just called yesterday for someone. Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-25, 8:18pm
Insane? You're Insane!

I have also been on a mad hunt for a cheap kiln. the best one for me seems to be the Aim 84 bd. I will post a link to the site, but I have found that http://victorianartglass.biz/ is cheaper. http://www.aimkilns.com/html/84bd.html. Maybe this one will be your new favorite too!
Amber

Last edited by amberbryant1; 2006-02-25 at 8:20pm.
Old 2006-02-27, 5:29am

I'm with PaulaD on this one. For annealing only, the Chili Pepper is the best kiln on the market. Space, Price, Digital Conroler, Quartz encased element so you can get shocked, 16" wide door..... very little electricity, etc, etc....
Ron Jr.
Old 2006-02-27, 5:46am

I have a Chili Pepper and love it. I also have a Jen Ken with out the bead door to fuse in.
So if you think you will ever want to try fusing try this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-Glass-Kiln-...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck in your search

Old 2006-02-27, 6:43am

I also have a Chili Pepper kiln, easy to program and very cheap to run. What could be better? Lots of beads will fit in the door. Delphi in Lansing,MI has it on sale every so often. gayle
Old 2006-02-27, 6:50am
In search of her path....

http://www.cdvkiln.com/

check out their small glass kilns they have the best selection I know of and their porices are very very good and Marty there is a gem very knowledgable and helpful!

You can get a bead box from ken ken there its pretty small but has a bead door and a digital controller for $476

You can get the larger fuser annealer the short one for $513 and it comes with a controller I suggest the bartlett its a lil easier to learn how to control.

or you can go up to the double tall annealer thats what I have and absolutely love!
Very Versatile and its $675 (the price of this has went up)

They have the Chili pepper too which is very portable , has a digital controller but only a short door but its $517

I see Paula up there at Tin City has these now too and her price is very compirable so you might check with her on prices for these other kilns as well

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-02-27, 7:02am

Check out this website before making a decision.http://www.glasspalette.com

This is the original toolbox kiln. It was designed by a beadmaker for beadmakers and only uses the best materials. They stand behind their kiln 100%. This kiln has been copied by many, but no one uses the quality components that are used in this kiln.

If you are looking for a firebrick kiln, then look at the Arrow Springs website. They have many, many kilns to choose from and their digital controller is the best there is, with something like 55 segments so that you can have many programs stored in it to do most anything you can do with a kiln. Their controllers are plug and play. You can use the controller with any kiln you decide you want to buy in the future. If something goes wrong with the controller and it can't be fixed over the phone by doing some built-in diagnostics, you at least don't have to send the whole kiln back or take it apart. Their kilns have the elements encased in quartz so that you don't risk getting shocked by touching the element with a mandrel. The encased elements also mean they last longer since dust and foreign objects never touch them. I have had one Arrow Springs kiln for over 10 years and have never burned out an element. I have a second large AS kiln that I have had approximately 8 years that I use for other than beads and a third AS kiln that I use daily now just because I can get more beads in it. They last, they are reliable and AS stands behind them. I have never had to send a kiln back for any problem, never had to send a controller back for any problem, and that's a lot of years.

A kiln is a major purchase, not one you are going to want to ditch and buy another in a couple of years. Selling used kilns is hard because of the type of packaging and the weight involved, unless you sell it locally. Do your research and make the right choice the first time and your kiln will work for you forever.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-02-27, 8:08am
one day at a time

I have had my kiln for about three years now, and I can't even think of one thing to not like about it!

It was designed by a beadmaker and built by Paragon. There's a lot of room inside so you can also use it for fusing and slumping. For all that you get, I don't think you can get a better price on this kind of quality.

Go here to check it out: www.hotglassbeads.com
Old 2006-02-27, 6:46pm
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiescreations
I have a Chili Pepper and love it. I also have a Jen Ken with out the bead door to fuse in.
So if you think you will ever want to try fusing try this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-Glass-Kiln-...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck in your search
I have the Jen Ken fusing and bead making kiln and I really like it. It works well, has a digital controller, holds heat well, isn't too heavy, plugs into a regular grounded outlet and has a fair amount of space. The problem I have with Chili Pepper shaped kilns is that the mandrels don't go all the way in - they have to be put in at an angle. I also use my kiln for PMC Silver (not quite hot enough for PMC Gold, but who can afford gold anyway?)

For $570, I think it's a great buy. 'Course, you have to have $570 to begin with. I'm not sure how much cheaper a kiln can be bought for but probably a bit.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-02-28, 8:30pm

I guess it depends on what size mandrel you are using 9 inch or 12 inch. But why would you want to put the mandrels all the way in anyway?? Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2006-03-27 at 12:38pm.
Old 2006-03-02, 7:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD
I guess it depends on what sixe nmandrel you are using 9 inch or 12 inch. But why would you want to put the mandrels all the way in anyway?? Paula
I use a rod rest in the kiln to prop one end of the mandrel on and the others rest on the kiln floor just by the bead door. When I first got my kiln, I had some bad experiences with imprints on my beads even though they were not at all glowing when they went in. This also happened when I batch annealed some beads and had them on a fiber blanket in the kiln. I think my kiln runs a little higher than the temp reads so now I'm super paranoid about my beads touching anything at all in the kiln. This is hard to do with the long narrow kiln shape. I just like to be able to put them more or less straight in rather than angling them. Also, I don't think I lose as much heat from my kiln when I open the bead door since it's much narrower relative to the full width of the kiln.

Just the same, this is only a personal preference. This is what was recommended to me when I bought the kiln, especially since I mentioned I might want to try some fusing and I wanted to be able to fire PMC. Since then, I've just gotten used to it.

From what I've heard the Chili Pepper kilns are excellent and the people who use them absolutely love them.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-02, 9:38am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD
I guess it depends on what sixe nmandrel you are using 9 inch or 12 inch. But why would you want to put the mandrels all the way in anyway?? Paula
I have the same kiln, different controller. So I'll answer.... I have an eye problem that makes it near impossible to get a bead through a "doggie door." In addition my beads are big, the last time I was at another studio my beads would not fit through said door. It was so funny keep that sucker warm and try to open the top of the kiln to put the bead in!

I do occasionally garage a bead, when I bring it out I use plyers and stick the mandrel into my water jar then off to the flame. I havent lost one yet doing this.

If I had to do it all over again I would seriously consider the Glass Hive's kiln. The bottom kiln on this page: http://theglasshive.com/BEAD%20ANNEALLERS.html They do make a kiln with taller doors and I really enjoyed using it.
Old 2006-03-02, 10:30am

Geez,What bad typing I have!!
The Chili Pepper Door is big! I use the 12 inch mandrels and place them on a rod rest that sits in the back of the kiln as I tend to put the beads in really hot. I eventually push them to one side or pull them down off the rack. This is easy to do without opening the door. If I am garaging something it's easy to pick up the 12 inch mandrel with pliers but I use an oven mitt from Stop and Shop. For the price and what it does the Chili Pepper is an awesome kiln. Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2006-03-27 at 12:39pm.
Old 2006-03-02, 10:32am

I also have a bunch of other kilns and annealers but need to get them up on my web page! Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-03-02, 6:45pm

Paula - I was just checking out the Chili Pepper on your site. I like the tray under the bead door - that would certainly help with mandrel positioning. Also, the angled bead door is nice.

I use minimum 12" mandrels. I work in the center of the mandrel so I can stabilize it with both hands, so I need the length. A 9" mandrel puts me too close to the flame - I have to wear gloves!

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-02, 7:05pm

I don't like the 9 inch myself...Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-03-02, 7:15pm

wow! Um thanks for the advice but oh my gosh! Too much advice a good thing? I'm forever confuzzled!
I just want a kiln to anneal my beads. They crack alot with the blanket. (as you know)
I want it simple to use, and open to let beads in without harming the other ones.....
Don't want to add controllers or gadgets...just plug it in when I get it and it be ready to go.....
Hope that helps more
Irene
Old 2006-03-03, 12:43am
Glass Addict!

Sounds like your best bet is the ChilliPepper.
You do need a controller, as you need to ramp down slowly to anneal properly.
I just ordered one....It should arrive sometime late next week.
Can't wait!
Diana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie
wow! Um thanks for the advice but oh my gosh! Too much advice a good thing? I'm forever confuzzled!
I just want a kiln to anneal my beads. They crack alot with the blanket. (as you know)
I want it simple to use, and open to let beads in without harming the other ones.....
Don't want to add controllers or gadgets...just plug it in when I get it and it be ready to go.....
Hope that helps more
Irene

Old 2006-03-03, 7:02am

I also carry all of the Jen-Kens and will beat any price that you see on the internet as long as I can verify it and it's not just someone dumping a kiln for one day....I now have some of the Jen-Ken photos on th website.. Paula.

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2006-03-27 at 12:36pm.
Old 2006-03-03, 3:21pm

I would absolutely and strongly recommend a digital controller. I had no idea just how important it was (I knew it would be really nice) before I got my kiln. I don't know how I would function without it.

Paula - I'm really lucky because I live about 1 1/2 hours from Wale Apparatus. It's in my DH's home town. DH bought me the kiln for Christmas a year ago, so we took a family drive up and got it (and a bunch of other stuff too.) So, I didn't have to pay to ship a kiln. That's why we bought it there. On the negative side, we had to pay PA sales tax.

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-03, 4:22pm

Oh I agree. Always get a controller if possible. I haven't sold any without one to date.
Tanya,
That is a great place to live. We have sales tax in CT too..Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-03-03, 6:26pm
PyronamixK

I have a Jen-Ken kiln like Pattie (rosiescreations) linked to, only it has an Orton controller, not a Bartlett. I love it! The one I had before was made by Sundance out of AIM components. It was a good starter kiln for me. But keep in mind that I fuse/slump/cast. If you don't, and don't plan to, then a tool-box type kiln may better suit you.
Old 2006-03-26, 5:39pm

What exactly is fusing? And...gosh I feel like I've asked a million questions but I guess research is always a good thing...
What about batch annealing?
I only make beads at night, after work when everyone is taken care of and I can relax so i see myself making a max of 6 beads per night. Do I want to start up the annealer for only these?
What happens if I decide to wait till the end of the week and batch them all? Same suggestions on the Jen Ken or Chili Pepper?????
Thanks again.....
Irene
Old 2006-03-27, 4:52am
used to be Moretti 4REAL!

Hi
I also have the same kiln as "RosiesCreations" and had to have service on it. I want to let you know how incredibly responsive my vendors were!!

I got it from Two Lasses like RosiesCreations - it's the JenKen with an Orton controller. and I had an issue with the controller a couple of weeks ago. It was giving me an FE 5 error. I would try and restart it and the error stayed put.

Within days, I had a replacement controller direct from Orton. Two lasses gave me JenKen's number and they sent my information to Orton. It was easy enough for me to swap the controller board out (three things to plug in, four screws, and that's it!)

All the time, all the vendors were so incredible and responsive. I would highly recommend doing business with them!!

-Angela
Old 2006-03-27, 12:35pm

Jen-Ken is small enough that they give great service and big enough that they have an array of kilns and annealers available. I have been sellingthier prodeuct for 7 months now and have never had any problem with their product or service. I would recomend a different kiln for fusing and the Chili Pepper for annealing. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-03-27, 1:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbryant1
I have also been on a mad hunt for a cheap kiln. the best one for me seems to be the Aim 84 bd. I will post a link to the site, but I have found that http://victorianartglass.biz/ is cheaper. http://www.aimkilns.com/html/84bd.html. Maybe this one will be your new favorite too!
Amber
Victorian Art Glass has these on sale until April 1 - I sound like an ad- but he was great helping me pick out a kiln and even let me know it was cheaper than I thought when they went on sale
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-03-29, 8:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie
What exactly is fusing? And...gosh I feel like I've asked a million questions but I guess research is always a good thing...
What about batch annealing?
I only make beads at night, after work when everyone is taken care of and I can relax so i see myself making a max of 6 beads per night. Do I want to start up the annealer for only these?
What happens if I decide to wait till the end of the week and batch them all? Same suggestions on the Jen Ken or Chili Pepper?????
Thanks again.....
Irene
Irene - fusing is using the kiln to melt the glass together rather than the flame. Using "slumping molds" and sheet glass, you can make plates or bowls or whatever. You can also make beads this way. I think it might be a great way to work with Dichro for those, like me, who always burn it in the flame. A fusing kiln has to get hotter than an annealing kiln. Something like 1400-1500 F. Since I've never done it, I'm not sure of the details. The glass has to get hot enough to slump or bond (fuse) with other glass. Also, if you're going to be making pieces like plates, you need a different shape than the toolbox kilns.

Batch annealing is fine so long as your beads survive the initial cooling. This works best for smaller beads. I never had any problems unless I was making a larger, encased bead. You'll find out through trial and error what you can get away with. If you make a bigger bead that's encased and you really really love it, I would recommend annealing it immediately...I know it seems a bit wasteful to run the kiln for a few beads but if you really want those beads to survive, then run it!

- Samuel Butler, 1912