Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-03, 7:06pm

Default Questions about Satake Glass

I got some from Dogmaw over the summer, but I put it away because it drove me nuts trying to use it. It takes waaaaaaaaay too long to warm it up enough so that it doesn't thermal shock, and the beads I was making kept splitting along the hole when I tried to take them off the mandrels.

So my question is: can I put the rods in a crockpot of vermiculite on low to warm them before I put them in the flame, to reduce the time it takes to get them seasoned, or whatever you call it? Also, any idea why I was having trouble with the beads splitting? It was on beads that I had squeezed into a tab, so it could be that I got them too thin. Oh, and I am on a Hot Head torch using propane.

Thanks!

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-03, 10:06pm
as in the state

Is it possible that you mixed the leaded and soda lime glasses from them? They aren't so compatible and could have caused the cracks. How did you anneal them?

It's possible with the tab one that it got too thin. Did you fire polish it and get it nice and warm (not too hot) before putting it away? Was it a very large bead and you put it in a fiber blanket?

I would imagine Satake glass is no different than other glasses in that you could use a rod warmer (leftover supply from beauty shop, top of your kiln, commercial rod warmer, whatever works!!) to heat them gently before you plan on using them.

-Amy
Old 2007-02-03, 10:11pm

I'm pretty sure all my Satake is soda. And I think you're probably right about getting the tabs too thin. I give my beads to a friend who batch anneals them for me.

I'm always afraid I'm going to get the bead too hot to where it loses it's shape. I think that comes under the heading of Practice Practice Practice!

Thanks for the tips!

Old 2007-02-03, 10:30pm
as in the state

Did you order a sampler, or various colors? I'd still check to be sure it's all soda, because that could be majorly frustrating if even after all of the other troubleshooting you still had issues with your glass. Of course, I'm anal that way.

Practice Practice Practice will help with knowing when to put the beadie away when you're done with it. I think it's said that you can heat it to glowing and then look at it in a dark place (say under your table) and if the glow disappears in a couple of seconds, it's okay to put it away? Don't quote me on that one....is that right, guys?

-Amy
Old 2007-02-04, 7:08am
Satake Woman!

If you ordered from me, then yep, it is all soda because that is all I'm carrying at the moment. It definitely sounds like your tabs are not getting quite the heat they need after pressing. Satake (as you have noticed) is really prone to thermal shock. So after pressing they do need to be warmed again before they are put in the kiln (or vermiculite or fiber blanket).

And as Amy noted, a rod warmer of some type is wonderful to use with Satake! I'm using one I got from Mike at Aura Lens. But one of the curling iron warmers, or even the top of the kiln will help greatly.

Let me know if I can answer any more Q's!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-02-04, 8:44am

I have a mini crock pot that I was going to fill with pearlite and stick the rods in it, on the lower setting. I'm thinking that would do the trick.

Thanks everyone!

Old 2007-02-04, 1:08pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart View Post
I have a mini crock pot that I was going to fill with pearlite and stick the rods in it, on the lower setting. I'm thinking that would do the trick.

Thanks everyone!
Crock pot is probably waste of time and electricity.... It will not get hot enough to help....

Big old coffee can of vermiculite is probably best solution and get glass into it as soon as it is no longer in "plastic" state... Ideally glass should be garaged in kiln to keep it hot till you can complete annealing process....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-04, 3:13pm

With all due respect Dale. I agree, vermiculite and crock pot cannot replace a kiln in terms of annealing.

However, based on the theory of thermodynamic, increase the ambient temperature will reduce enagy loss from heating up the surrunding area. So heating up the vermiculite will help slowing down cooling rate.

Cheers
Nancy

Old 2007-02-04, 4:40pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nklt0 View Post
With all due respect Dale. I agree, vermiculite and crock pot cannot replace a kiln in terms of annealing.

However, based on the theory of thermodynamic, increase the ambient temperature will reduce edgy loss from heating up the surrounding area. So heating up the vermiculite will help slowing down cooling rate.

Cheers
Nancy
But the heat range of crock pot heat is below where any thermodynamic effect can react on glass.... Unless you can hold crock pot above strain point it does not have much use.... Once glass hits strain point nothing but heating it again to annealing point will reduce already set in stress..... Crock pot even on high simply does not produce enough heat.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-04, 7:14pm

I'm wanting to use a crock pot to preheat Satake rods, not for after the bead is made. I use one of those big popcorn tins with pearlite for after the beads are made. I have my beads batch annealed by another artist. I just want to preheat the Satake before I put it in the flame.

Old 2007-02-05, 7:24am
Striking-impared...

Go for it. Anything that keeps the rods warmer than being left out in the open will at least help you get it into the flame and melting a bit faster (and hopefully with less shock). As you pointed out, you're not annealing the rods themselves -- only warming them up prior to using them.