LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-02, 5:49am

Ziggy--I use Candy's frits in small amounts on the surface of my 104 beads (I know, there's the whole crowd that says "don't"--but loads of us "do")--they're fine. (Lots of beadmakers use just a little ~96 frit on 104 beads)
Of course if I want to *load it on*, then I use my stash of Jess's vintage glass grab bags (omg, what a great way to stock up on PPP glass!)
~luna
trying to absorb the "reactions" in this thread so I can try them all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-07-02, 6:33am
moth to the flame

Here is the link for the triangles and lotsa other good stuff too!

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/tutorialindex.html

Have fun

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2007-07-02, 11:48am

I’m so glad to hear that you all found the bead pics helpful and/or inspiring. I was inspired to make them after reading Corina published Passing the Flame. In it she has a tutorial on how to make her kaleidoscope beads.

I thought those beads were so neat! I had to go out and play with the idea myself. I didn’t get anything quite as intricate as she did, but I had lots of fun playing around with it and I learned a lot too. When I first started lampworking, I struggled with the “spreaders” because they didn’t encase well and they leaked into other colors like a caner and I didn’t like that. I’ve since learned that they have other redeeming qualities. So, it’s all good!

Candy

Old 2007-07-03, 8:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadgoodies View Post
I’m so glad to hear that you all found the bead pics helpful and/or inspiring. I was inspired to make them after reading Corina published Passing the Flame. In it she has a tutorial on how to make her kaleidoscope beads.

I thought those beads were so neat! I had to go out and play with the idea myself. I didn’t get anything quite as intricate as she did, but I had lots of fun playing around with it and I learned a lot too. When I first started lampworking, I struggled with the “spreaders” because they didn’t encase well and they leaked into other colors like a caner and I didn’t like that. I’ve since learned that they have other redeeming qualities. So, it’s all good!

Candy
I have that book and saw that bead. I think I made a stab at making it. But when it didn't work I gave up. You on the other hand ran with it!
Way cool,
Angela

Old 2007-07-03, 8:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Ziggy--I use Candy's frits in small amounts on the surface of my 104 beads (I know, there's the whole crowd that says "don't"--but loads of us "do")--they're fine. (Lots of beadmakers use just a little ~96 frit on 104 beads)
Of course if I want to *load it on*, then I use my stash of Jess's vintage glass grab bags (omg, what a great way to stock up on PPP glass!)
~luna
trying to absorb the "reactions" in this thread so I can try them all
Well I bought my first frit a few weeks ago from another place. It is size 0. I rolled it on a bead, didn't see much, rolled it again, and again. I still wasn't impressed. So I tried another base color. Nada.
I thought if I have to use more than this I'm pushing the envelope so there it sits.
So much for My first Frit experience. LOL!
Angela
PS: Oh, that Vintage glass is on THE top of my wish list for sure!

Old 2007-07-03, 8:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
Here is the link for the triangles and lotsa other good stuff too!

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/tutorialindex.html

Have fun
Oh ya! I love this site. I remember when I first stumbled on it. I wish I could take pictures to show you the one I made. It didn't turn out like it was supposed to, but I love the way it DID turn out. <G>.
Angela

Old 2007-07-03, 9:17am
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
Well I bought my first frit a few weeks ago from another place. It is size 0. I rolled it on a bead, didn't see much, rolled it again, and again. I still wasn't impressed. So I tried another base color. Nada.I thought if I have to use more than this I'm pushing the envelope so there it sits. So much for My first Frit experience. LOL!
Angela, what kind of frit did you get? Size 0 is not my personal favorite, but I'm sure that one of us can help you get a nifty bead out of your frit.

If not, my Frit Exchange will start on the 22nd of July. You can turn your frit into a few others to try with it only costing you postage. More details will be posted in the Patio when the time gets closer.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-07-03, 8:31pm

Kay, It's called "Rainbow Sherbert". COE91-94. That's all it says. Does that ring any bells? I'm wondering if it was a blend made personally by the glass supplier I bought it from. I can't remember.
Angela

Old 2007-07-03, 9:49pm
It's all about the color.

That's made by Glass Diversions and is one that I haven't tried yet. I PMed you some ideas. Let us know how it works out.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-07-09, 2:48pm
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
These are an opal yellow base, the side dots that turn into triangles and go all the way to touch are new violet and the center dots are rubino that turns an orangey color on opal yellow and the center dots are copper green. I love to make these! Lots of fun spreading and reactions going on.

Wow, how inspirering was this beautiful picture.

I have tried those colors also, they aren't so beautiful as yours, but I show it here to say thanks to you!

Old 2007-07-10, 9:10am

Margriet, are you kidding me??? It's gorgeous! I love the off-center dots. And the silver core. Someday when I grow up I want to do silver cores. *sigh* So pretty.

Old 2007-07-10, 9:16am
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Margriet, are you kidding me??? It's gorgeous! I love the off-center dots. And the silver core. Someday when I grow up I want to do silver cores. *sigh* So pretty.
But Rebecca, they are so easy! I use a 4 mm mandrel with fosterfire and the cores i buy and just put some glue on it and that's it

When you can make your beads, you can mak silver cores in your beads...

Old 2007-07-10, 9:24am

Really?!? Those are the rivet type of cores? It looks like you spent a long time making it! I'm SO going to look into that. Thanks!!!

Old 2007-07-10, 9:33am
Beadmaking.nl

I have made pictures of different kind of cores

Core from Ayutrade, i used a 5 mm mandrel
I dont know the measures, because I all used them.

Huls von Allbeads4you, I used 4 mm mandrel mit dickes Fosterfire.
Measures:
middle compleet with border = 7,39 mm
middle outside = 5,14 mm
middle inside = 4,43 mm
length = 3,71 mm

Huls von BeadBrothers, I used a 4 mm mandrel with fosterfire.
Measures:
middle compleet with border = 6,57 mm
middle outsite = 5,12 mm
middle inside= 4,1 mm
length = 3,49 mm

Last edited by Margrieten; 2007-07-10 at 9:39am.
Old 2007-07-10, 10:19am

They are all VERY lovely! I wish I could read the language in those links. LOL! I see I just missed a bulk buy for these too.... Oh well, someday! Thanks for showing these Margriet!

Old 2007-07-14, 12:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by afina View Post
Try Reichenbacg Dots on light opaque Moretti colors (not the "special"-line) or even better on opaque check Ornela glass (ivory, blues, greens, violet,...). I love the effects!

This one is Reichenbach goldbrown on Ornela ivory:

regards, Verena

Verena, I just wanted to let you know I received an RAOGK with some Reichanbach! Woohoo! Now I know what to try it with.
Angela

Old 2007-07-14, 12:52pm

does anybody know an english speaking site where you can buy cores like the ones they are talking about??

Old 2007-07-14, 1:33pm

Oh! I just looked up a couple pictures. Those silver core beads are soooo pretty! Is the blue one Reichanbach Iris Blue?
I too would like to learn how to add silver cores some day. So much to learn....starting with the big mandrels.

Rebecca, I have to try those stand out beautiful summer beads you were kind enough to share with us. And you can tell how cool they would look with the silver lining now too!
Angela

Old 2007-07-14, 1:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverk47 View Post
does anybody know an english speaking site where you can buy cores like the ones they are talking about??
What if you could translate the language to English on the site? Would that help? I know there is a way to change your browser so that it will translate into English. Not sure how but I could do some checking if it would help.

Sorry I don't know of a site that is in English.

Angela

Old 2007-07-14, 3:11pm
Beadmaking.nl

On all the Dutch shops, you can write in English. They all know the English language!

Or Else try this: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Old 2007-07-14, 3:17pm
Beadmaking.nl

I just heard that the 3/16 inch mandrel just would be perfect for the cores.

The blue one is indeed Reichenbach Iris. I bought it at http://www.sansiera.nl

All the links you can mail them in English, they all know the English language.
I think they would be glad to help you!

Old 2007-07-14, 9:47pm

[quote=margriet@stainedglass.nl;1272623]I just heard that the 3/16 inch mandrel just would be perfect for the cores.

The blue one is indeed Reichenbach Iris. I bought it at http://www.sansiera.nl

Thanks Margriet, It's a beautiful bead as are the others. I'm making a note to get 3/16 inch mandrels.
Angela

Old 2007-07-14, 11:32pm
Entropy increasing....

That Moroccan Swirl will make those lines. If you use it as a base it will do that with raku.
Old 2007-07-16, 11:27pm
Julie Nordine

THANK YOU guys for posting all of the fabulous info here for Angela... I'm certainly happy that she asked this question!!

Thank you, Candy, for posting that great link to your color effects pages!! Very cool!!

This is what I did w/ them...

Black or Rubino bases w/ Opal Yellow, Rubino & Copper Green

These are all black bases w/ Opal Yellow, Rubino, Opal Yellow

These colors interact so cool together...it's REALLY hard to walk away from them & go on to something else. I made some turtles tonight w/ these dots on their shells...AWESOME!!

& the spacers were made on 3/16" mandrels, perfect for the European bracelets. I bought a dapping set @ Harbor Freight yesterday & ordered some sterling tubing today so I can figure out how to silver core them.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

..........................FINGERPRINTS ARE OVERRATED!
What have you done today to make yourself proud?
keep it positive...practice patience...believe in yourself...learn from your mistakes...be there for others

Last edited by CreditRiverArtGlass; 2007-07-16 at 11:31pm.
Old 2007-07-17, 12:14am

Oh, I love those effects with opal yellow. My problem is that I don't have any . Is there any other color creating similar effects?

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2007-07-18, 12:58am

Afina, Opal Yellow is such a great glass I would consider buying some if you can. It's works well with so many other colors! I can't think of another that you could use in place of except Copper Green. It works the same but not the right color!
Could you please tell me what COE is Ornela glass and where to get it? Or do most suppliers have it?

Keven, Who makes Moroccin Swirl? Is it ASK? I am finally playing with Raku and would love to try it.

Julie, your beads are beautiful!!! I like the black base, it almost looks blue on my monitor.

I wish I could take pictures even though mine did not turn out nearly as nice. But it sure was fun to try.
Angela

Old 2007-07-18, 3:18am

Angela, Ornela is known as Czech Glass in the US, its COE is about 104, only the striking colors have a different COE. As far as i have learned so far, Jodelglass and Check Glass carry it. Check Glass also writes the COE of each color. Beware of the topas, the striking colors (beautiful, just don't encase!) and the black.
You find the ivory here e.g.: http://www.checkglass.com/soda-lime/.../prod_169.html

This Ivory doesn't react with silver, but it makes this pinkish-lines when put over itself or used with e.g. Reichenbach.
Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2007-07-18, 8:23am

Rebecca, those beads are gorgeous! Can you or anyone else tell me what new violet that is? Is it Moretti or Vetrofond? EDP and I have a hate hate relationship going on right now!

Cheryl
Old 2007-07-18, 9:00am
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by afina View Post
Oh, I love those effects with opal yellow. My problem is that I don't have any . Is there any other color creating similar effects?
You can buy it in Germany at http://www.beadbox.de

Moretti 266.

Old 2007-07-18, 12:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiner View Post
Rebecca, those beads are gorgeous! Can you or anyone else tell me what new violet that is? Is it Moretti or Vetrofond? EDP and I have a hate hate relationship going on right now!

Cheryl
Thanks Cheryl! It's Effetre 273. There are lots of good tips for EDP around here. Don't stop trying! It's totally worth the frustration.