Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-04-18, 4:08pm

I personally think that running a torch with the tank between my legs is more potentially dangerous than having it sitting beside me attached by a hose.

Yes, carelessness is always a hazard, but if you do your research, make sure your hoses are intact, and your connections are tight, I can't see that using a bulk tank and a hose is significantly more dangerous than using the torch with the tank attached directly.

It's all dangerous, isn't it? Lighting the gas range is dangerous if you aren't careful.

Nolly
Old 2013-04-18, 4:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolly View Post
I personally think that running a torch with the tank between my legs is more potentially dangerous than having it sitting beside me attached by a hose.

Yes, carelessness is always a hazard, but if you do your research, make sure your hoses are intact, and your connections are tight, I can't see that using a bulk tank and a hose is significantly more dangerous than using the torch with the tank attached directly.

It's all dangerous, isn't it? Lighting the gas range is dangerous if you aren't careful.

Nolly
Nope you are mistaken. It is significantly more dangerous. Hard connections at low pressure are MUCH more reliable and less potentially dangerous then soft hose connections at full tank pressure. This isnt rocket science. I think I have made my point.

Last edited by LarryC; 2013-04-18 at 4:23pm.
Old 2013-04-18, 4:26pm
Loving learning

So hooking up a regulator as described in the thread I linked (among others) should reduce the risk?
Old 2013-04-18, 5:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
So hooking up a regulator as described in the thread I linked (among others) should reduce the risk?
It should. By how much I cant say. I used a HH with the small MAPP and Propane cylinders for a few months or so before upgrading to my lynx and it always seemed to operate in reduction. I suspect that the issue then becomes that the HH will not have enough air to function properly since it relies on gas pressure to pull in air. If you read the thread you posted Dale states this at some point. The HH is already somewhat air/oxygen deprived in reduction and anything you do to lower the pressure will only make it worse. Sounds like a great experiment for someone. Didnt really intend for this to get heated but I really dont feel good about it and I dont want to wake up some morning and find out that the person we suggested this setup to hurt themselves or others around them.

Last edited by LarryC; 2013-04-18 at 5:18pm.
Old 2013-04-18, 5:22pm
one day at a time

I never worked with a fuel tank inside, and my HH hose is always going to be one that is at least 12ft long. The tank goes around the corner of the building. Away from me, and the barrier is two walls. When I get set up again, I will take pictures.
Old 2013-04-23, 4:05pm

If your hothead is "always in reduction" then your bead/glass is NOT in the right spot in the flame.
See the tutorial that Nikki (www.nlcbeads.com) has on her website on where to put the beads in the flame on a hothead for more info....

For everything else, the links Dale posted are great...
Hotheads rock when used properly & you can make great beads with them...and your BBQ tank can later be used when you upgrade to something like a minicc, cricket or other "bigger" torch...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Tags
bbq tank, hothead