Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-04-30, 8:43pm

Question Hose Between Map-Pro Tank and Hothead Torch

Decisions made, thanks to all, including Role. Info provided was excellent, attitude with which info provided - not so much.

Oh well, eh?

Last edited by IdahoBetty; 2012-05-01 at 9:29pm.
Old 2012-04-30, 11:27pm
Cave Dweller

Using a hose with the hothead and a small tank is the same as
using a hose with the hothead and a bulk tank.

The little tank and the big tank both have the same internal
pressure of 100 PSI.

The first problem is that several extra connections have to be
added when using a hose, each one of those connections is
a possible leak source.

The second problem is the hose will have full tank pressure of
100 PSI so if your hose ruptures, gets hot glass on it, etc, you
suddenly have a HUGE problem on your hands and a strong
possibility of testing out various religions.

My opinion: the hothead is much safer directly
connected to the small 1LB tank and should not
be used with an extension hose or bulk tank.

If you insist on connecting your small tank to the hothead via
hose you will need two things, both made by the same company.

Mr. Heater Steak Saver.
Steak Saver

Mr. Heater Extension hose.
Mr. Heater 12' Hose

The Steak Saver is not necessary for connection to a bulk tank, only
the hose is necessary if you use a bulk tank.

Disclaimer: In no way am I promoting the use of a Hothead Torch
with hose or bulk tank, this information is only provided for
educational purposes. I take no responsibility for how anyone
uses this information.

Last edited by Role; 2012-04-30 at 11:30pm.
Old 2012-05-01, 2:37am

Quote:
you
suddenly have a HUGE problem on your hands and a strong
possibility of testing out various religions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-05-01, 9:19am

No question that it is MUCH safer to directly connect the tank to the torch.
Old 2012-05-01, 9:38am

I'll be going with a direct connect, safety issues now clearly understood. Thanks to all who read and commented.

Have to say that the snarkiness in first response post is not appreciated. I do understand that an information-seeking post is liable to get that here on LE, which is why I generally lurk rather than post. All I wanted was info about relative safety, not a thinly-veiled lecture about meeting my maker.

Back to lurking.

Last edited by IdahoBetty; 2012-05-01 at 10:15am.
Old 2012-05-01, 12:10pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBetty View Post
I'll be going with a direct connect, safety issues now clearly understood. Thanks to all who read and commented.

Have to say that the snarkiness in first response post is not appreciated. I do understand that an information-seeking post is liable to get that here on LE, which is why I generally lurk rather than post. All I wanted was info about relative safety, not a thinly-veiled lecture about meeting my maker.

Back to lurking.

"Snarkiness", "thinly veiled lecture" ???

Wow, you must be one seriously uptight person.

Thin skinned people really do not belong on the internet...

Last edited by Role; 2012-05-01 at 12:53pm.
Old 2012-05-01, 2:56pm
Cave Dweller

I gotta say, this BS really ticks me off...
I didn't say anything "snarky" (whatever the hell that means).
And there was no thinly veiled lecture on meeting anyone's maker.

If you want "snarky" here it comes:

Prior to the 2 posts you made in this thread you posted four times
in four years.

Given your massive contribution to this forum, I don't think anyone
will notice if you return to lurking.
Old 2012-05-01, 6:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Welcome to the world of trying to help someone....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-05-01, 8:23pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Welcome to the world of trying to help someone....

Dale
You have been helping people for years, Mr. M..

I would like to buy three gallons of your brand of patience.
Old 2012-05-02, 6:04am
Gentleman of Leisure

Well some people just want "sunshine, lollypops and roses"... They can not cope with the simple truths, simply stated with a no nonsense delivery...

I spent 38 years in industry, not in social cliques... Where we spoke out on problems and made thing right by doing, not by socially kissing up to people who had differing opinions or ways of "delivery"... Certain individuals are to be ignored if your flavor of help does not suit their emotional expectations... They are the first to blame others when they get hurt out of their own ignorance and lack of understanding at whats at play here...

OH I been stung a few times and backed off and sort of hid in the corner when I got rebuked... But I came back, I helped and the rewards were people did succeed at what they were trying to do and were successful and SAFE in their studios....

Such is the nature of the world of the internet... You can't please every one ...

For every ONE individual that dislikes what you have to say and chastises you there are 10 who will agree with you publicly and maybe another 50 who will read what has been written (and never comment) but will profit and mature from what you have said... And they will edit out their comments so people reading their threads will wonder what the fuss is all about....

Time to move on....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-05-02 at 6:12am.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:15am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Yep!
Old 2012-05-02, 10:31am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I moved on from this post and then had some further thoughts. Maybe this will ruffle some feathers but I gotta/wanna put it out here.

It is my observation that women are more often problem solvers in emotional areas and tend to approach problems from the aspect of the emotional effects/affects of the person with the problem thus 'solving' the problem.

Men, on the other hand, approach a problem as a 'thing' to be fixed without much emotional regard to the person with the problem or the emotional involvement of that person in the resolution.

Men and women think differently so keep that in mind when you read an emotionless responce to a question that poses a technical problem. The answer may appear harshly presented but the intent is to solve a problem.... no emotion involved.

PJH
Old 2012-05-02, 1:38pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I moved on from this post and then had some further thoughts. Maybe this will ruffle some feathers but I gotta/wanna put it out here.

It is my observation that women are more often problem solvers in emotional areas and tend to approach problems from the aspect of the emotional effects/affects of the person with the problem thus 'solving' the problem.

Men, on the other hand, approach a problem as a 'thing' to be fixed without much emotional regard to the person with the problem or the emotional involvement of that person in the resolution.

Men and women think differently so keep that in mind when you read an emotionless responce to a question that poses a technical problem. The answer may appear harshly presented but the intent is to solve a problem.... no emotion involved.

PJH
It appears she was set off by the line:

"you suddenly have a HUGE problem on your hands and the
strong possibility of testing out various religions."

I think she is under the impression that a little humor is
somehow an attack on her personally.

There is also the possibility she freaked out on the word "religion",
that particular word makes some folks simply lose their minds.

At any rate, 2 wives and 5 decades into life I think I'll get over
her upset.

Last edited by Role; 2012-05-02 at 1:41pm.
Old 2012-05-02, 2:53pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

2 and 7 here. lol
Old 2012-05-02, 4:23pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post

PJH
Most definitely!...

Dale

Old 2012-05-03, 1:38am

I didn't find it snarky at all. I like a bit of humour.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-05-03, 7:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I didn't find it snarky at all. I like a bit of humour.
Hmmm. Considering the hazards involved I thought it was being polite actually
Old 2012-05-03, 11:53am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

That difference in communication styles is the whole point of the "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" books. Personally, I deeply appreciate all the safety information and advice here, it's made a HUGE difference in my ability to safely set up my studio, so thank you, especially Dale M and Cheng076.

I think the main source of the agitatation is that this stuff is so COMPLICATED, and we've all become accustomed to easy answers. I swear that in trying to figure out ventilation I went through the 5 stages of grief, TWICE - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance? OH, yeah, I had all of those. It took a long time to accept that there's no simple answer.

And now the studio is done, you'd think it'd be easier... but now I'm going through the whole mess again trying to figure out hooking my hothead to a BBQ tank. Today I feel like I'm at the 6th stage - Give Up... but I know I'll figure it out eventually. (Once I quit moaning about why can't it be easy... LOL)

Anyway, thanks guys. It IS appreciated.

L-111

Old 2012-05-03, 12:11pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Hose with male and female "disposable cylinder connectors" and a adapter with disposable cylinder connector one end and CGA 510 (POL) adapter to go to bulk tank... Or get hose with male "disposable cylinder connector" on one end and a POL connector on other end... Local hardware stores should have them in BBQ section or at local camping emporiums... Wallyworld... Sears.... BIG 5... Home Despot ...Lowes....

And you will need "something" to hold torch at edge of bench...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-05-03 at 12:15pm.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:39pm
MacGalver

Would the safety issues of connecting a hothead to a bulk tank be resolved by installing a flashback arrestor at the tank?

Jo

Old 2012-05-04, 6:28am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frit Diva View Post
Would the safety issues of connecting a hothead to a bulk tank be resolved by installing a flashback arrestor at the tank?

Jo
That is not the issue.... Flash backs are not very likely with this style of torch,,,,

The main concern that most people have is the a poorly manufactured hose or damaged hose may burst or blow off the brass fitting and spew a huge volume of gas into immediate vicinity causing burn or explosion hazard...

System would more likely need a "anti free low" device on tank valve or connector so if there is sudden release of "back pressure" caused by hose or torch it will automatically shut off fuel flow....

Dale

Old 2012-05-04, 11:35am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Biggest share of hose risk can be prevented by;

A. Keeping the hose tucked up under the work bench.
B. keeping the hose up off the floor and
C. Doing a careful periodic inspection.

There is no substitute for a good quality hose with good solid connections.
Old 2012-05-04, 1:42pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I ordered the hose from Malcom at ArtCo - it sounds like he did his due diligence in having them manufactured to be safe. Still trying to figure out how / where I'm going to put the tank (outside, obviously) but that still leaves all the other issues. I can't reconcile the idea of disconnecting the hose and putting it outside every time I use it. First, by the time I snake it around into the shedio and put it under the bench where it's safe from flying debris it's going to be a major hassle to take it back OUT again... plus, as hubby says, aren't I going to strip the threads sooner than later?

At least I'm getting closer... I've got great ventilation and a great bench, I'll get this one sorted, too.

L-111

Old 2012-05-05, 11:22am
Cave Dweller

Old 2012-05-06, 8:11am

Hello all. I am VERY new here. I have only torched beads a total of 4 times...Could someone please tell me the difference in the propane and MAPP, or point me to a thread that may explain this, and where in the world do you get a large container (5 Gal) tank filled with MAPP? I am just learning, so I bought propane due to the cost. I've read so much information that my brain is now in overload, and my DH is building me a studio, so I would love to make it as safe as possible from the beginning, AND purchase the correct fuel, etc. Any help is MOST appreciated!!
Old 2012-05-06, 6:08pm
Gentleman of Leisure

MAPP gas is no longer available... Map was/is, a mixture of methylacetylene (propyne) and propadiene. But is no longer being manufactured on N. American continent...

The replacement for MAPP gas is MAP-PRO gas (propylene) .... MAPP & MAP-PRO are a little hotter than propane by about 600-800° f. ... The flip side is propane will work just as well. Maybe a little slower to heat than MAP-PRO, but is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of MAP-PRO...

More information (more then you want to know ) here...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...c.php?f=12&t=7

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-05-06 at 6:11pm.

Tags
hose, hothead, map-pro, mappro, safety