Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-04-17, 4:12pm

Default HH torch attached to a 5lb propane tank?

Is that ok? I don't want to use hoses. Or maybe a 3lb tank? These one lb map pro tanks drive me nuts they only work well the first 20 minutes no matter how long I let them set to let the cold off and they don't last long. I've read other posts and people attach their HH with hoses to large propane tanks, so I think propane is ok? What's the pros and cons with propane on HH vs map pro?
Old 2013-04-17, 4:26pm
I fart diamonds

You're going to have to use a hose. The HH doesn't attach directly to a bulk tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-04-17, 4:29pm
Senior Moment

I've tried both, canister only, and the MapPro is a cleaner flame. I found the propane dirtied my light colors and transparents.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-17, 4:31pm
I fart diamonds

The problem of dirty propane is rarely a problem with bulk tanks.

Old 2013-04-17, 4:51pm

I wish map pro had a bigger tank that attached directly, I'm off to home dept yet again but why should I complain really, don't mind looking at the hot dudes that work there ha
Old 2013-04-17, 4:51pm

Oh wait I was gonna ask if it's ok to run map pro and then propane trough the same torch head
Old 2013-04-17, 5:31pm
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
The problem of dirty propane is rarely a problem with bulk tanks.
Wasn't sure, which is why I qualified it with canister only. What causes the difference?

Not sure about the hoses although I can't see why not. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can respond.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-17, 5:43pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Wasn't sure, which is why I qualified it with canister only. What causes the difference?

Not sure about the hoses although I can't see why not. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can respond.

Alli
I think it's a quality thing with dirty propane and canisters. Not sure, though. You can't connect a hh to a bulk tank because it's a completely different connection. You have to use a hose, which acts as an adaptor.

Old 2013-04-17, 5:50pm

I read a post somewhere about someone's set up with a bulk tank having a loose connection she didn't know about and it made a fireball that singed her face and then this guy replied and freaked out about HH's with hoses saying its mega ultra dangerous and should never be done and it freaked me out a bit. I bet the bulk tanks don't have this problem with getting cold (as fast?) as the small tanks, I'm so tired of that. To use a bulk tank why would I need to buy and how much would it cost and how far away should it be from me?
Old 2013-04-17, 5:53pm
one day at a time

I'll look for you, brb.
Old 2013-04-17, 5:57pm
one day at a time

Here are the longer hoses, and I prefer these over the commonly available 5ft hose.

http://www.artcoinc.com/hot_head.php
Old 2013-04-17, 6:50pm
Salt Box Beads

I have to use wrenches to get mine tight enough on the connections to pass the soap test. I bought my bottle of test liquid from Home depot. I test, then I wipe it off with a cleaning cloth.

I always test every time I get a refill. I always check the hose for any damage and I always hang it over a fence to drain between fills.

I know lots of "I do's" but they work.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-04-17 at 10:01pm.
Old 2013-04-17, 6:51pm

The hoses are fine, it can help to have a squirt bottle of dish soap and water to check connections.
The treads are different and you may need a different mount for your torch.

Any excapeing gas or pin hole in the line will bubble letting you know that something needs to be tightened or replaced. The local gas company and welding professionals use the same process to check fittings.

If your getting bubbles simply turn the gas off at the canister and vent the hose before trubble shooting the leak.
Often the fittings just need another 1/4 turn, though some times the O rings need to be replaced.

Old 2013-04-17, 7:09pm
Loving learning

Bulk tanks should be outside. I have my propane running to my torch through a hole in the wooden floor of my craft shack, but I know I have read of others who run their hose through a window.
Old 2013-04-17, 7:55pm
KitseyBelle

I bought a bulk propylene tank (7 lbs I think) from my welding store. They charged me $35 for the tank and about $15 for a fill. I ran my hot head on that for a couple of years. It was hotter and cleaner than propane.

Jennefer
Old 2013-04-17, 8:05pm
one day at a time

I used my HH for 18 months and I loved the bulk propylene! I hope I can still get it because I want to use the torch again.
Old 2013-04-17, 8:46pm

since you cannot use a regulator with a HH, this is indeed an extremely dangerous setup. A lot has already been said about this here. Read the archives.
Old 2013-04-17, 10:12pm
Salt Box Beads

Using a t rated bulk hose with a BBQ tank full of propane is common in RVS, concession trailers, and back yards and decks all over the world BBQing.

People just need to be aware. I think we have done a pretty good job here on LE of letting peeps know.

It is not extremely dangerous, not anymore dangerous than BBQing or cooking in an RV I would think, especially if taking logical precautions.
Old 2013-04-18, 2:48am

I use a bulk bbq tank and hoses. My torch and tank are outside. I always refill my tank rather than switch out. (It is also less expensive to refill).

SRA #C88

Old 2013-04-18, 4:29am

Go to your local bottled gas company and ask what they recommend. Take your hot head with you. Those guys know tanks and torches and they won't let you put yourself in danger.

I got great advice when I was using my hothead fulltime and had bulk tanks that worked perfectly.

Nolly
Old 2013-04-18, 4:57am
one day at a time

The Hothead is designed to work without a regulator, EXACTLY like a plumber's torch! The psi for a 30, 60, or a 100lb tank is the SAME as for the 1lb canisters.

I have not heard of a single accident with a HH torch since I came upon the lampwork scene way back in 2002. if your connection is correct, the hose is intact, and the attachment to the worktable is correct, it is a safe set-up.
Old 2013-04-18, 7:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
The Hothead is designed to work without a regulator, EXACTLY like a plumber's torch! The psi for a 30, 60, or a 100lb tank is the SAME as for the 1lb canisters.

I have not heard of a single accident with a HH torch since I came upon the lampwork scene way back in 2002. if your connection is correct, the hose is intact, and the attachment to the worktable is correct, it is a safe set-up.
Actually it IS a plumbers torch and it is designed to work without a hose. At full tank pressures it is a hazard whether you want to hear it or not. Ever wondered why the torch comes directly connected to the 1lb bottle?
Old 2013-04-18, 7:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

All the answers about propane, propylene and Map-Pro and hoses and connections are here and still valid... Nothing has changed..... Only other consideration is you will need some sort of support for torch head when you go with bulk tank and hose....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...c.php?f=12&t=7

Torch brackets...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=104
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=103
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=215

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-04-18, 7:48am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Actually it IS a plumbers torch and it is designed to work without a hose. At full tank pressures it is a hazard whether you want to hear it or not. Ever wondered why the torch comes directly connected to the 1lb bottle?
Not all plumbers use those 1lb bottles...

Most pros use a set-up with a bulk tank and hose. Acetylene or propylene. I know, because I talked to people who have owned the local welding shop for the last 35 years. I've also asked the folks at Airgas.
Old 2013-04-18, 7:50am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Its called marketing so you can buy complete setup in one package....

Bernz-o-matic actual made/makes a propane torch for plumbing the had/has a 3 foot hose attached... It now appears the Berns-o-matic corporation has been purchased by Worthington Cylinder who is a MAP-PRO and propane tank supplier....

Actually you can buy any torch head, Hot Head or Magna Torch MT 245 (economy version of HH) separate from canister..... Same concept as buying replacement canister without a torch attached.... Your argument does not fly.....

Link to Mag Torch...

http://www.magtorch.com/PROP200sub.htm

And bulk tanks and hoses and regulators and what knots are alive and well in camping world.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-04-18 at 7:53am.
Old 2013-04-18, 8:14am
one day at a time

Yep, those hoses are made to handle the psi going through them. The only things that would make any set-up dangerous are faulty valves and leaks. Plus running the torch near flammables. But I would like to think that most people have common sense.
Old 2013-04-18, 8:34am

How many of us have had fitting or hose leaks? I would bet the majority of us. It is typically the weak link in the chain. At full tank pressure that leak could be fatal to you and those around you in a matter of seconds. Camping? There is little common ground between using this setup outside and using it in an enclosed space like most studios. That is common sense. To suggest that this is good practice in our environment is irresponsible at best.
Old 2013-04-18, 9:13am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
How many of us have had fitting or hose leaks? I would bet the majority of us. It is typically the weak link in the chain. At full tank pressure that leak could be fatal to you and those around you in a matter of seconds. Camping? There is little common ground between using this setup outside and using it in an enclosed space like most studios. That is common sense. To suggest that this is good practice in our environment is irresponsible at best.
Tanks should never be inside in the first place. If the artist is being safe, has good connections and keeps the tank outside, using a HH with a bulk tank is no more unsafe than using and oxy/gas torch.

Old 2013-04-18, 10:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Tanks should never be inside in the first place. If the artist is being safe, has good connections and keeps the tank outside, using a HH with a bulk tank is no more unsafe than using and oxy/gas torch.
I mostly see pictures of peoples studios here with the tank inside. That is common but it really doesnt matter since the hose has to eventually enter the studio. You are obviously missing the point that the location of the tank is irrelevant to this issue. Any leak from the tank to the torch head at full tank pressure (100-150 psi), which is exists in the hose when your not using a regulator, can fill an enclosed structure with an explosive volume of propane in literally seconds. No time to run outside and close the valve. If there is an ignition source its too late. This does not exist with an oxy propane torch, which runs regulated at much lower propane pressure (5-10 psi). I wont bother with the math since it is already in the archives here and elsewhere. I think I now understand the exodus of those with technical knowledge over the last few years.
Old 2013-04-18, 12:53pm
Loving learning

Here is one thread about running a Hot Head on a tank with regulator:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ator+hot*+head

Tags
bbq tank, hothead