Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-24, 3:24pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Lightbulb Bead Cleaning Question - Ideas Needed

Hi, everybody!

I was wondering if any of you have any good tips for cleaning the bead release out of the holes on clear beads so that the hole isn't as noticeable through the bead. I use Blue Sludge and Bucket - O - Mud bead releases. I've soaked my beads, cleaned lightly, then soaked more...up to 2 days with soap. I've even tried running them through the dishwasher. I just can't seem to get beads clean without using diamond reamers. These leave the holes with a frosted appearance after they've dried, which really shows up through the glass.

I've also noticed that the hole looks really clear before it dries. This is the way I'd love my beads to look AFTER they dry. I wonder if there is some kind of clear coating I could apply inside the hole to get this appearance.

Is there any hope or is this just the way things are with beads? I'm a newbie and I'm willing to try anything to make my transparent beads look even just a tiny bit better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~Mendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-06-24, 4:38pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I have the same problem. I'm not sure of anything that can be done to prevent it and still get the bead release out.

Before you make your transparent beads, if you make sure your bead release is smooth on the mandrel (not bumpy, gritty) it will help make them easier to clean. My problem is remember this tip myself, lol!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-06-24, 4:53pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

you could try dipping a dental pick in clear nailpolish and run it through the bead, that way the hole gets a little coating of nailpollish and will end up shiney. Other then that I have no idea

Old 2006-06-24, 6:34pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
you could try dipping a dental pick in clear nailpolish and run it through the bead, that way the hole gets a little coating of nailpollish and will end up shiney. Other then that I have no idea
What Suzanne said!! Larry Scott does it and it makes the hole virtually disappear.

--Cherine

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2006-06-24, 6:44pm
Entropy increasing....

Isn't that "cheating" ? lol
Old 2006-06-24, 11:32pm

wasnt there a thread about bounce dryer sheets or something? Or some magic degreaser stuff that just made the release fall off the beads???

Old 2006-06-25, 12:43am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan

why would that be cheating? If you clean out all the beadrelease you will still have a white beadhole because of the fact you dremeled out the beadrelease, you scratch the glass a little so it looks matte

Old 2006-06-25, 12:55am
Hopeless glass addict!

Talking I'm gonna try it!

suzanne & Flame Crazy, thanks so much! That's just what I needed to know! I'm going to pick up some clear nail polish and give it a try!

Kevan Don't tell on me! I'm gonna cheat! All's fair in love & beadmaking!

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-25, 1:00am
Hopeless glass addict!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky
wasnt there a thread about bounce dryer sheets or something? Or some magic degreaser stuff that just made the release fall off the beads???
This is VERY intriguing! I'm going to try and search for this! Does anybody know more about this? If I find one, I'll post a link.

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-25, 2:25am
Hopeless glass addict!

Default Okay! Found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky
Okay! I found the thread this was in and here's the link!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=dryer+sheet
Check out Post #23.

I'm gonna try this, too. What have I got to loose? Thanks, Brandie! Maybe Kevan will think this is a more fair approach than the clear polish.

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-25, 3:07pm
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

Try K R A G Mudd. minimum bead release. 1800 865 2228 or www. kittrellriffkind.com works well for me, doubled dip
Old 2006-06-25, 4:21pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbC
Try K R A G Mudd. minimum bead release. 1800 865 2228 or www. kittrellriffkind.com works well for me, doubled dip
Thanks, Barb! This looks just great! Check it out everybody!

http://www.kittrellriffkind.com/krag_mudd.php

Just look at those sample beads! Wow! Clear as a bell!

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-25, 6:29pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan

Totally not cheating, IMO. I think it is simply a "surface treatment" the same as if you were to etch.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2006-06-25, 9:19pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly
I have the same problem. I'm not sure of anything that can be done to prevent it and still get the bead release out.

Before you make your transparent beads, if you make sure your bead release is smooth on the mandrel (not bumpy, gritty) it will help make them easier to clean. My problem is remember this tip myself, lol!
The fabric softener sheet trick worked pretty well...except for where my release was rough. Good point, Gelly! It would probably be fantastic in combination with the K R A G Mudd bead release.

It doesn't have to be Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets to work. I just cut a generic softener sheet in half and put it into warm water with beads I removed from the mandrels. I used a mandrel to kind of rub away the release. Probably a wooden skewer would work a little better because it wouldn't scratch the glass as much.

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-25, 9:52pm
HourGlass Studio

Yep that dryer sheet works slick !!! And I mean slick......them beads darn near fly out of my hands every time I try to clean them. I still get an etched look even with using the sheets. I really like the tip about clear nail polish.

Old 2006-06-27, 9:02am
Hopeless glass addict!

Hi, Everybody!

I e-mailed Kittrell Riffkind Art Glass Studio and here is the reply I received:

Quote:
Good morning Mendy,
We sell our Mudd in a 4 oz. bottle for $9.00 plus $4.25 for S&H. We get it
to you by Priority Mail. Call us at 1-888-865-2228 and order some.
Whew! Expensive! So I have to wait until after our next show, but I think I'm going to order 2 bottles and just use it exclusively for the beads I make where the holes are visible through the bead.

I thought that others who may be interested would like this information. I'm going to find out if shipping will be more for 2 bottles and I will also post that info.

~Mendy

Last edited by raindance; 2006-06-28 at 9:34pm.
Old 2006-06-28, 9:33pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Okay, I got an answer back from Kittrell Riffkind Art Glass Studio regarding shipping cost for an extra bottle.

Quote:
Good morning Mendy,
I think shipping is like a dollar more for two.
Thank you for the posting.
Later, David

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-29, 9:53am

What about the ultra sonic jewelry cleaning? I've never tried it but it seems like it would be effective.

Michelle

Old 2006-07-07, 8:31pm

Soaking in plain white vinegar overnight can make a difference. Also I've found cleaning Bucket O Mud is easier if I remember to not overheat the mandrel before laying down the glass I just barely warm it enough for the glass to stick.