Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-04-07, 11:43pm

Default Fine Silver Wire

Help! - Just playing with fine silver wire for the first time. I watched youtube tutorial...wind glass around bead, encase with clear, heat and get beautiful little silver bubbles! Only, when I tried it, I couldn't get silver to melt! I heated bead to point of almost falling off mandrel, and no melt. Did I encase it too thickly? I am on Hothead...could that be the problem?
Old 2015-04-08, 6:23am

What gauge wire did you use?
Old 2015-04-08, 10:02pm
Slogan Challenged...

needs to be 28 or 30 gauge to melt easily, especially if you are encasing it first. I'm not sure whether or not you use an HH makes a difference.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-04-09, 1:44am

Thanks -- not sure what gauge wire it was...it was a gift. But I think probably thicker than 28-30. Will check that out, thank you!
Old 2015-04-09, 4:39am
Melody of Glass

I didn't knkw you could encase it first and then melt it. Has anyone done that? I would melt it in carefully until you get it to ball up and then encase.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2015-04-09, 5:07am
Slogan Challenged...

hmm, know that you can do it with brass wire or shavings, but those are golden bubbles I think. Good point though, thinking about it. Encasing baking soda might be the easiest (and cheapest) way to go.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-04-09, 6:45am
Student!

I have added it, encased and then melted it. I don't remember it being overly difficult with the lighter gauge wire I use.

It beads up nicely. I usually use 26 or 28 gauge wire.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2015-04-09, 10:13am
Phill

I have seen a youtube video of it done.

A pretty girl in the UK I think.

She stressed that it had to be fine silver, 99% I think. She kind of heated a spot and stuck the wire in and wrapped it around the bead then laid a layer of clear over that all the way round then heated that to melt over the whole surface and that was when the wire melted into separated silver balls.

She was not using a hot head but it should be hot enough to do the job.
Are you working at the hottest part of the flame? I think that's the inch mark past the tip of the blue cone but I haven't worked a HH in some five years so I'm working with my memory which is not to be trusted past .... squirrel?

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-04-09 at 10:17am.
Old 2015-04-09, 2:17pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I always wrap the fine silver wire by spot heating then wrapping, then melting off when I've wrapped enough to my liking. I usually booger it up the first few times I try to get it to stick, and I almost ALWAYS burn it off too soon and have to repeat the spot heat/stick it and wrap cycle. After it's on I usually pop it into the flame for a second or two and it melts and curls up into little balls. THEN I encase it, if that's what I want to do. That's what I did here:

On this one I just melted it and left it that way, no encasement.

Old 2015-04-09, 10:32pm
Slogan Challenged...

Pretty!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-04-10, 3:23am
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh View Post
I have added it, encased and then melted it. I don't remember it being overly difficult with the lighter gauge wire I use.

It beads up nicely. I usually use 26 or 28 gauge wire.
Fascinating! I am intrigued to try now.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Tags
encasing, hothead, silver wire