Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-10-15, 6:05am

Default Best Marble Molds

Good Morning! I've been researching Marble Molds and I'd love your input! are they all the same as far as quality of graphite? I see a wide range of prices and I assume it's like anything else... you get what you pay for.. True? What have you found that works best for you? Thanks!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wendy
Old 2012-10-15, 6:08am

infinite rim all the way. short of that, weaver ind makes some nice ones too.
Old 2012-10-15, 6:46am

I really like my Blast shield 6 in 1 mold. Havent tried the infinite rim but it looks like you have to buy multiple molds of you wanna do smaller and large mibs.
Old 2012-10-15, 7:21am
Pyromaniac

If you're just starting out you can use just about any marble mold - but I personally prefer infinite rim molds myself. I have the 5 hole "multi" version of the Infinite Rim Mold and I love it. The downside is that they cost a bit more.

As for quality of graphite, the ones from weaver and the infinite rim molds have the nicest quality graphite I've seen, though I have not had a chance to check out the blast shield ones.

Honestly, in my opinion it doesn't really matter that much at first. Get something entry level and start making spheres. Tools can always be sold & as long as they're well maintained you'll get a decent price for them. Not that I'd ever sell a tool (shudder) I might need it one day!!!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-10-15, 7:53am

Yes, you get what you pay for. In my experience the Infinte Rim molds have the highest density graphite and are worth the price. ALL of the different sizes they offer will accommodate a range of marble sizes. These are easy to re sell if they dont agree with you. The cheaper ones are not so easy to re sell so buy the best quality tool you can afford.
Old 2012-10-15, 8:08am

I agree with the above statements I have the cheaper six in one graphite mould and a couple of larger ones in graphite. These are the ones where you use the rim or edge of the mould to shape and they are frustrating to use because the rim puts ridges in the marble if you are not careful. The only thing I would add to the above comments is don't start off with something cheap cause if you are like me you put up with the frustration and learn work with it then put off getting the good one. (cause you already have one). Buy the good one cause if you don't get into making marbles you can always recoup your cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-15, 8:24am

the only time a marble mold should put ridges in a marble being rounded out is if the marble maker didn't wait long enough between the flame and the mold
gotta let it cool a bit and form a skin, then spin away.
Old 2012-10-15, 8:34am

I have one of the multi size infinite rim molds and love it. I'd also like to have the "bump" style multi size mold that ABR sells.....Has anyone heard anything on those bump style marble molds? They sell for $150

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-10-15, 10:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
I have one of the multi size infinite rim molds and love it. I'd also like to have the "bump" style multi size mold that ABR sells.....Has anyone heard anything on those bump style marble molds? They sell for $150

Duane
$150 is not unreasonable for a high quality tool that will last the rest of your life. Good tools cost money, period. I have three of the infinite rims and they have paid for themselves many times over since I bought them from Artco over the last year.
Old 2012-10-15, 11:20am
Pyromaniac

I'm going to repeat something:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Get something entry level and start making spheres.
If it's within your budget, get the best one you can - like the one I linked earlier... or any of the other fine products mentioned here - but if not DON'T agonize over it. If you can't afford the "good one" get the cheap one. Get a used one. Borrow one. Go all MacGuyver - find a steel ring and use that. Copper pipe can work too....you only need the rim so anything which won't melt or catch on fire and has a circular opening in the right size range (1/2" to 1.5" or so) can work - The important thing: Just start making spheres!

It's fun.

(and yes, within certain broad ranges, you get what you pay for)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-10-15, 11:42am

Wow..great info.. I have been making Implosion style paperweights and out of that I realized I needed something to help me (and my impatience) in keeping them rounded.. but then.. I watched a ton of videos on utube and fell in LOve with marbles.. I've Loved them since I was a kid and think how fun they would be, and challenging, to make!! I will check out all your links.. thanks so much.. I knew I shouldn't get the cheap ones.. although the price is alluring.. But.. Christmas is coming ha??

Wendy
Old 2012-10-15, 3:09pm

Larry and Chris, thanks for your input! I appreciate it from both of you! On a side note I wasn't scoffing at the $150 but rather every time I remember that ABR has that I don't have the extra cash floating around lol

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-10-15, 10:17pm

Wendy,
If youre thinking of going cheap until later there is an ebay seller who has molds with 2 hole sizes per mold and a solid wood handle for $10-12 ea. I think the largest they had was 1 1/4 " though so may not work for you if youre planning on going bigger than that. I cant get you the seller name at the moment but it should be very easy to find on ebay. Just search for "marble molds".
Old 2012-10-16, 1:23am
Alaska Boro

These folks have a 2 inch single hole graphite marble marvers for $10.

http://www.devardiglass.com/Marvers.htm

Have not used this brand so have no information as to quality.
Old 2012-10-16, 6:21am

Thanks GlassAlias and Alaska! I have seen the devardiglass ones and.. of course.. the price is awesome.. but I agree with what Deb Tarry had to say.. I would put up with the frustrations and adapt to it never purchasing what I really wanted.. so.. I think I'm going to suck it up and go with the 5 hole "multi" version of the Infinite Rim Mold that Bunnyip suggested.. I am having so much fun making these paperweights and learning about marbles that I know it's something I will continue to do.. I am soooo amazed at the diversity in design that I have seen.. some of it I have no idea how they made it.. but I look forward to trying to..

Thank You all for helping.. it makes my decision so much easier!!

Wendy
Old 2012-10-16, 7:16am

I love my infinite rim molds, however they do have a hefty price tag.
before I was able to get them I used a cheap one, what I did to make it better was to polish the cups of the mold with sand paper at first to get it smooth then I found the back side of the sand paper did a really nice job after that, I got a final polish from a terry cloth rag.
I used the sand paper to break the edge of the marble cup just a bit before polishing.
doing this I took a crappy mold and made it very useable.
still not as good as an infinite rim but much better than when I first got it.

#C-151
Old 2012-10-16, 7:30am

Can anyone weigh-in on the Cherrywood marble molds, such as the ones I saw on Gaffer USA? Pros and cons?

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-10-16, 7:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane View Post
Can anyone weigh-in on the Cherrywood marble molds, such as the ones I saw on Gaffer USA? Pros and cons?
it is my understanding and I may be wrong they are for soft glass.
they are supposed to do a great job though

#C-151
Old 2012-10-16, 8:33am

I just bought a cherry mould and the edges look softer than the graphite ones I have, I should be able to get into the studio and use it this week. I think I will take your suggestion Morgan and try some sand paper on the graphite ones.

Old 2012-10-16, 8:48am

That is a great idea.. I have had some of my marvers for 15 or more years.. they could use a little sand paper to smooth the edges.. I bought the multi-infinity mold.. eeekks.. now.. I just need to learn how to use it!!

Penny Lane..
I saw an article recently about the cheery wood molds.. It was a how to but maybe it would answer some questions.. heres the link.. http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/ar...erryMolds.html Hope that helps!

Wendy
Old 2012-10-16, 8:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningLightGlass View Post
That is a great idea.. I have had some of my marvers for 15 or more years.. they could use a little sand paper to smooth the edges.. I bought the multi-infinity mold.. eeekks.. now.. I just need to learn how to use it!!

Penny Lane..
I saw an article recently about the cheery wood molds.. It was a how to but maybe it would answer some questions.. heres the link.. http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/ar...erryMolds.html Hope that helps!
there are so easy to use you will have no trouble learning to use it enjoy!

#C-151
Old 2012-10-16, 10:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywinger View Post
it is my understanding and I may be wrong they are for soft glass.
they are supposed to do a great job though
Nope. I have used them for boro. They need to be used and kept wet. I think they have a tendency to scum a bit because they are inherently dirty and that is a deal breaker for me. Collectors want perfection in the lens surface. Good quality Graphite molds works so well that I dont see a need. Graphite also wears and throws off debris but it is more manageable for me. A quick wipe down before every session does the trick.
Old 2012-10-16, 2:23pm
Borovangelist

I'm generally not a tool whore, but if I had to do it again I'd totally put down the cash for my infinite rim mold; it was worth every penny.

I have a couple of cherry wood blocks I use for rough shaping of some larger stuff, and you actually *want* them a little dirty. The glass rides on a cushion of steam and slightly carboned surface gives it a little extra glide.

The only headache is like Larry said, you need to keep them wet, which in colder climates is a pain in the rear during the 'cold enough to freeze the bucket of water you have your blocks in' months.

Change the water often though, mold on them is gross.

|
|
Old 2012-10-16, 2:25pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I have a 4 hole graphite mold - 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 1 3/4" and 2" holes that I've been using for maybe at least 10 years, and I usually never quite got my marbles totally round - they always had a small ridge in them that you could feel with your finger tip as you slowly moved it around the marble. I heard of the infinite rim molds and bought one, then bought a larger one (My marbles come out between 1 1/4" up to 2".) At first I still wasn't getting them round with the infinite rim molds and got all annoyed (I think one was $95 + postage and the other was about $110 + postage.) and stopped using them. Then I thought that this is ridiculous - everyone else raves about them, so I took them out and tried them again. It took a few marbles but I finally figured out how to use them. I use the infinite rim molds for all of the rough shaping of the marble and use the 4-hole mold with the hard edges for the final shaping. Now all my marbles come out round, without small ridges in them. There are other threads about the infinite rim mold in this forum-you just gotta find them.

Last edited by gmkcpa; 2012-10-16 at 2:27pm.
Old 2012-10-16, 3:28pm

I'm excited!! Mine will show up Thursday!! I will soo be looking at the threads on here about the mold and the how to's!! Thanks!!

Wendy
Old 2012-10-16, 5:59pm

Wendy, I'm so glad you went with the Infinite Rim. I decided when getting mine, I could 70.00 my way thru five or six that I didn't like and still have to end up buying the IR. So, like you, I just sucked it up and bought that first. It's awesome. A decision I'll not regret ;-D Samma

Old 2012-10-17, 4:03am

Granted I started this thread below but it is a good post. I show pictures and show exactly why the Infinite Rim Marble Mold is the best around- and yes, it's my humble opinion shared by many!

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...m*+marble+mold

There is a lot of common sense in this thread. I hope it helps you make your decision.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-10-17, 8:24am

Sue,, Thanks so much for the link... pics really do help. It's nice to read so many positive comments about their Infinity Mold.. makes me feel even more confident in my purchase!! Come on Thursday!!!

Wendy
Old 2012-10-17, 10:24am
honorary bead lady

http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/molds/index.html

Tags
boro, marble mold